Oh look.... GMO corn causes tumors in rats, according to a study

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Enjoy everybody, since all of us fat americans eat and drink tons of corn products every single day.

http://rt.com/news/monsanto-rats-tumor-france-531/

This ties in to Spidey's "Organic food proven to be ... blah blah blah " thread from a week or so ago in which there were many people clearly living in denial.

in before some fool says something to the effect of RT not being a legitimate news source despite the fact that they actually report on more news than any local networks.

Last edited by a moderator:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Monsanto is spreading but there is a big backlash finally. I pay extra $$ to have my produce organic, when I can.

Not a freak about it, but I will pay an extra $.30 for a green pepper.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Try reading an actual news story first instead of the uhh...yeah.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120919-france-orders-probe-after-rat-study-links-gm-corn-cancer

"For the first time ever, a GM organism and a herbicide have been evaluated for their long-term impact on health, and more thoroughly than by governments or the industry," Seralini told AFP. "The results are alarming."

Two hundred male and female rats were split into 10 groups of 10 animals.

One was a "control" group which was given ordinary rat food that contained 33 percent non-GM corn, and plain water.

Three groups were given ordinary rat food and water with increasing doses of Roundup, reflecting various concentrations of the herbicide in the food chain.

The other six were fed rat food of which 11, 22 or 33 percent comprised NK603 corn, either treated or not with Roundup when the corn was grown.

The researchers found that NK603 and Roundup both caused similar damage to the rats' health, whether they were consumed together or on their own.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
RT is a russian propaganda news source. I'm wary about GMO's myself but RT isn't very reputable imo.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
RT is a russian propaganda news source. I'm wary about GMO's myself but RT isn't very reputable imo.

You're an idiot.

Please see the small white text at the bottom of the original post. RT reports on news stories that our local media here would never cover. Keep watching fox news and know half of whats going on in the world. Tune in to RT and Al Jazeera when you want to know whats going down.

They would not run anti-monsanto pieces in america because they're in bed w\ the FDA and the news organizations already.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Enjoy everybody, since all of us fat americans eat and drink tons of corn products every single day.

So why don't we look like this

genetically-pictures-giant-chemical.n.jpg

Ah progressives, so afraid of progress.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

genetically-pictures-giant-chemical.n.jpg

Because were not fucking rats (maybe you are). We have a much longer lifespan and a slower metabolism, these things take time to develop. Havent you ever wondered why they use rats for experiments?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Breaking with a long tradition in scientific journalism, the authors allowed a selected group of reporters to have access to the paper, provided they signed confidentiality agreements that prevented them from consulting other experts about the research before publication.

LOL

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I've long since been a strict paleo/sometimes primal eater since learning of proper health and nutrition.

It really has nothing to do with Monsanto, just proper food habits. It is a huge bitch but after seeing older people who have lived the lifestyle for decades there really was not much to debate.

Local farmers markets and local farms for grass fed animal meat, supporting the local community and eating healthy at the same time.

Coconut oil and real olive oil is a bitch to get though.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Maybe its because they directly added roundup to the animal's water supply?

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
So something with roundup on top of it causes cancer in rats?

10 groups :

(1)One was a "control" group which was given ordinary rat food that contained 33 percent non-GM corn, and plain water.

(3)Three groups were given ordinary rat food and water with increasing doses of Roundup, reflecting various concentrations of the herbicide in the food chain.

(6)The other six were fed rat food of which 11, 22 or 33 percent comprised NK603 corn, either treated or not with Roundup when the corn was grown.

In other words there were similarities in the ones they gave the kind of corn we're all ingesting and the ones given pesticides directly.

What kind of science fiction movie are we living in when one of the top chemical weapons manufacturers suddenly owns a huge portion of our countries food supply.

I know it take alot to process that concept that a company who was poisoning kids in vietnam now owns the rights to nearly all of the worlds corn on a genetic level which just happens to comprise a huge portion of our foods.

Go read some labels. Corn mean, corn, high fructose corn syrup. It's in nearly everything.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I hope this research is validated, peer reviewed and duplicated elsewhere (Europe is so fearful of GMO there may be confirmation bias involved). If these are accurate results we need to ban it asap.

Remember even saccarine was found to cause cancer if you consumed an overly large amount per day and now we don't even bat an eye over saccarine.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I was watching "The Incredible Dr Pol" last Saturday, there was a rat that had a tumor and the owner decided to have it put down to prevent long term suffering. Dr Pol said that it's very common for domesticated rats to get tumors. So could the tumor be due to genetic reasons that were exacerbated by the introduction of chemicals?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Monsanto:
We make pesticides to kill your weeds and bugs!!!
We make seeds to grow food!
.... hmmmm how do we make people buy both...
LETS MAKE SEEDS THAT YOU CAN USE PESTICIDES ON!!! It's perfectly healthy! Studies pro.....
France uh ohs......
*whips out $10M*
Hello senator!

Sounds to me like if anything the problem is with the pesticides not the GMO corn.

I mean what sounds more likely spraying chemicals on plants might make them bad for you, or that Genetically Modifying plants makes them bad for you in some mysterious way?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Sounds to me like if anything the problem is with the pesticides not the GMO corn.

I mean what sounds more likely spraying chemicals on plants might make them bad for you, or that Genetically Modifying plants makes them bad for you in some mysterious way?

No doubt pesticides on plants is bad for you, but monsanto is trying to "overcome" that obstacle by making seeds marketed as pesticide safe. So spray all the sh*t you want in the fields and still try to pass it off as safe.

In other words, if GMO seeds are advertised as pesticide safe and they are not, then that's the problem with the seed.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

My issue is labeling, all GMOs should be labeled as such, so people can make an informed choice on what to eat.

Any industry that lobbies so they don't have to provide info on what they produce is highly suspect IMO.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
No doubt pesticides on plants is bad for you, but monsanto is trying to "overcome" that obstacle by making seeds marketed as pesticide safe. So spray all the sh*t you want in the fields and still try to pass it off as safe.

In other words, if GMO seeds are advertised as pesticide safe and they are not, then that's the problem with the seed.

I assume the "pesticide safe" corn means the pesticide does not kill the corn. This is indisputably accurate.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I assume the "pesticide safe" corn means the pesticide does not kill the corn. This is indisputably accurate.

wrong assumption. Pesticide safe meant safe to eat after use of pesticides (could have worded it better, but whatever). Study clearly shows that their pesticide safe GMO seeds/foods are just as effective as RoundUp on animals.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
In other words there were similarities in the ones they gave the kind of corn we're all ingesting and the ones given pesticides directly.

What kind of science fiction movie are we living in when one of the top chemical weapons manufacturers suddenly owns a huge portion of our countries food supply.

I know it take alot to process that concept that a company who was poisoning kids in vietnam now owns the rights to nearly all of the worlds corn on a genetic level which just happens to comprise a huge portion of our foods.

Go read some labels. Corn mean, corn, high fructose corn syrup. It's in nearly everything.

The amount of roundup added to the water supply was likely way higher than what you would normally consume by eating the crops (in fact, if you just wanted to measure the amount of regular intake, you could just feed them the crops alone). This study was rigged to make the GMO corn look bad.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

so why did i get chrons disease? why didnt i have it as a kid? i grew up on mostly organic food, it all used to be. but late teens hit and i was eating the same foods but those foods are now gmo. i hit 20 and lived with chrons for 6 years, still with lingering problems. it wasnt until i started buying local foods that i finally got my symptoms to settle down. i highly doubt that is coincidence.