Oh god no: Rumor: Dell to buy AMD

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I'm not sure Cyrix died so much as they were absorbed by IBM and worked on their future products like the Cell.

No it died. It died hard. Their staff quit just as VIA went to buy them, ended up basically buying what was left with no employees for patents (and a very important cross license agreement with Intel). Since that didn't work out VIA quickly made a second move and bought up Centaur.

Edit:
Doh. Think before you type. Sorry for the Necro. But since I brought this back up from the dead. Glad nothing ever came of it.

Last edited:

stevech

Jul 18, 2010
PC mfgr's live on tiny profit margins and very low R&D investments.
Total opposite of a chip maker like Intel or AMD. Shareholders won't stand for poor dividends in years of higher R&D investments for chip technology.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If Amd is up for grabs Dell will never grab them since their in bed with Intel. if they were up to be taken over I put my money on Samsung
Thank you

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Dell buying AMD would be the end of the company. Intel would have a monopoly on CPUs. I doubt the government would allow such a thing to happen.

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
Why samsung? If any company would buy amd, it should be the company that would greatly boost amd's competitiveness with intel. And that company is definitely not samsung.

I think IBM would be a better choice. Amd and Ibm have been in bed with each other for years regarding silicon and die shrinks. Silicon on Insulator? That was IBM. BD type cpu? PS3 cell rings a bell(Same concept). Which was made by Toshiba, Sony, and IBM.

And best of all. IBM would have leverage against intel like they once had in the early 80's with the Ibm PC. In case anyone forgot, it was Ibm that made Intel license X86 to Amd. Buying up Amd and getting access to the x86 license would be a full circle from the Ibm PC days.

I don't see how intel could counter Ibm's hypothetical purchase to the FTC. Ibm has the capacity and business resources to take Amd to the next level and make them competitive again. Besides I'd sure love to buy an IBM brand cpu(for old times sake). Sure Intel could license out x86 to other companies, but they'd hurt themselves more than they would hurt Ibm.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I still want samsung to buy amd.

Not I. I worked for a company that was bought by Samsung (AST Computers), they are no more. Granted, some of the decisions made at corporate HQ were just plain dumb and they could never release a system on time, usually 6 mo. behind their competitors, but the company did not last long after they were bought out.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Why bump this stupid rumor? Dell has been Intel's bitch for years.

If you had read above then you would know it was an accident, and immediately apologized for the necro. Long story short was reading through a post history, saw the persons post, kept reading in the thread. Someone said something I thought I should respond to, not noticing that the thread was long since dead because I didn't really notice the dates on the posts. It was only when I went back to CPU and OC that I noticed what thread I resurrected.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you had read above then you would know it was an accident, and immediately apologized for the necro. Long story short was reading through a post history, saw the persons post, kept reading in the thread. Someone said something I thought I should respond to, not noticing that the thread was long since dead because I didn't really notice the dates on the posts. It was only when I went back to CPU and OC that I noticed what thread I resurrected.

Not all thread-necros are a bad thing.

If the topic is no longer relevant to the community then necro'ing the thread won't matter as it would quickly fall back off the front-page again as no one would post in it.

The fact that people did begin to post in it once it was brought back onto their radar is proof to me that the topic is very much still relevant to the community and as such it is productive for us to continue discussing it.

Where's the harm in that?

(in other words, don't feel bad and don't feel like you need to apologize more than once, mistakes happen, you are forgiven, and a few members actually would appear to appreciate you for necro'ing the thread)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Not even close to being true anymore....
If Dell exclusively sold AMD processors and none of the other manufacturers had access to the chips, then yes, intel would have close to a 100% monopoly on the x86 market.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why samsung? If any company would buy amd, it should be the company that would greatly boost amd's competitiveness with intel. And that company is definitely not samsung.

I think IBM would be a better choice. Amd and Ibm have been in bed with each other for years regarding silicon and die shrinks. Silicon on Insulator? That was IBM. BD type cpu? PS3 cell rings a bell(Same concept). Which was made by Toshiba, Sony, and IBM.

And best of all. IBM would have leverage against intel like they once had in the early 80's with the Ibm PC. In case anyone forgot, it was Ibm that made Intel license X86 to Amd. Buying up Amd and getting access to the x86 license would be a full circle from the Ibm PC days.

I don't see how intel could counter Ibm's hypothetical purchase to the FTC. Ibm has the capacity and business resources to take Amd to the next level and make them competitive again. Besides I'd sure love to buy an IBM brand cpu(for old times sake). Sure Intel could license out x86 to other companies, but they'd hurt themselves more than they would hurt Ibm.

Well Ibm have a licence where they get the blue print with any intel chip they receive and have the rights to mod it like they see fit. they make super pcs and intel is their friend. Those super pc designs all thanks to intel. They didn't design it they just mod it.
So ibm is out of the picture. Who's in the smartphone business who will like to have a foot in the cpu business. They got the R&D AND pockets to do it