Oh god no: Rumor: Dell to buy AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
IBM, Oracle (SUN), followed by the ARM crowd that is contending with Atom. Most everyone else in the industry makes their money because of, not in spite of, Intel.

Well, at least AMD wouldn't be fabless anymore if IBM bought them :biggrin:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
no you guys are wrong!

Anyone would want to buy amd because haven't you heard????

Bulldozer!!!!

This thing is gonna absolutely kill intel when it comes out!!!! ^_^

(sarcasm)

are you kiddding me what about llano or bobcat zmog!?!?!?!?!?!

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Lesson? Dont let IBM f*** you over...

Cyrix has an interesting history. I worked at TI when the meatier stuff was transpiring.

The company was founded by former Texas Instruments (TI) staff members and had a long but troubled relationship with TI throughout its history.

Cyrix was founded by TI employees. That is, after a handful of TI employees failed to convince management to create an internal project to develop what would eventually become Cyrix chips the TI employees left TI and started Cyrix in Richardson, TX. (Literally across the street from TI)

They convinced TI to be the foundry for their design, a natural fit. TI took their design, which itself was not licensed from Intel but was a reverse-engineered product, said thank you very much for the designs and proceeded to make their own chips with the Cyrix design (as AMD did to Intel, it was all a legal gray area back then). How's that for irony for you!

That was why Cyrix went to IBM, only to find out they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fryer as IBM did them no better.

Other TI tidbits for you, TSMC was founded by an ex-TI employee who had argued internally that TI should open a foundry services division and was told it wasn't going to happen.
Dr. Chang converted from technical management to general management at TI. Over the years he was general manager of germanium transistors, general manager of silicon transistors, and then was named TI's integrated circuits manager in 1966. In 1972, Dr. Chang became TI's group vice president, in charge of the semiconductor division, the largest semiconductor operation in the world at the time. From 1978 to 1980 he was group vice president in charge of consumer products and then spent two years as TI's senior vice president responsible for quality, education and productivity.

And Compaq (builder of the first IBM clone) was founded by a group of TI employees who got tired of management electing to not pursue their business opportunities.
1982: February - Compaq Computer Corporation is founded by Rod Canion, Jim Harris, and Bill Murto, all former senior managers of Texas Instruments who were unhappy with how TI was running its computer business and they thought they could do a better job.

Not sure why I felt this thread needed a history lesson, but there it is.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If BD doesnt beat 1155 SB by a fairly large margin and at least match LGA2011 i can see this becoming a reality. AMD cant keep on going not making money forever.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Actually, if Dell were to outfit their entire lineup with AMD CPUs, they would probably purchase every single CPU that AMD produces. It could be a win-win scenario for both companies.

Except dell wouldn't be able to outfit it's entire line with AMD CPU's without losing a percentage of customers. Alienware for example is Intel only, for the plain fact that AMD doesnt compete at that performance point.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Buying AMD would be an idiotic purchase for Dell. Before the meteoric rise of Android and mobile, I would have pegged Nvidia as a more likely candidate to buy AMD. But now they're set to sell more ARM CPUs than they ever did video cards and chipsets. So it doesn't make sense for them either.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Buying AMD would be an idiotic purchase for Dell. Before the meteoric rise of Android and mobile, I would have pegged Nvidia as a more likely candidate to buy AMD. But now they're set to sell more ARM CPUs than they ever did video cards and chipsets. So it doesn't make sense for them either.

Unless they really want to get into the x86 market.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Unless they really want to get into the x86 market.

Maybe x86 is not the major target for Dell (or any other company for that matter) but rather AMD's IP instead?

Any one have comments or opinions on this?

Is there anything special Dell could do with AMD IP if they decided to open up their own proprietary Google Android app store? (or maybe their own proprietary OS)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Alienware for example is Intel only, for the plain fact that AMD doesnt compete at that performance point.

The new AMD APUs look to be quite capable for gaming.

Last edited:

LR6

Sep 27, 2004
IF this turns out to be true, Dell is looking at the future post-PC world. A world with few traditional PC's and a lot of iPad/Smart Phone like devices that are relatively cheap, but does the work that 95% of users perform every day. I can imagine something a bit bigger than a iPad, but with a keyboard and mouse and a OS somewhere in between iOS and Windows/OSX. This device would be perfect for the average home or office user and would use a custom CPU/GPU designed be AMD, just like Apple is now making their own CPUs.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
this would not be a smart thing for dell. most of their business is selling intel machines to businesses. i doubt they would give all of that up just to run an unprofitable, 2nd rate (right now at least) pc cpu company at a time when all this mobile stuff is taking over.

on the other hand the bod has pretty much caused everyone at amd to leave. so i could see oracle buying it, running it unsuccessively and shuttting it down.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
this would not be a smart thing for dell. most of their business is selling intel machines to businesses. i doubt they would give all of that up just to run an unprofitable, 2nd rate (right now at least) pc cpu company at a time when all this mobile stuff is taking over.

on the other hand the bod has pretty much caused everyone at amd to leave. so i could see oracle buying it, running it unsuccessively and shuttting it down.

Being 2nd when there are only 2... isnt half bad.

You say it likes its a bad thing, AMD doesnt have 1/4th the R&D money that Intel uses, it doesnt have 2years headstart with fab technologies, or its own Fabs that it can trust. It has a competitor that uses unethical practises against it (which sometimes results in legal actions).

and yet... their CPUs really arnt that bad compaired to Intels.
AMD put up a good fight dispite being at a disadvantage, due to hard work/invovative thinking... Some might consider those traits admireable.

Also AMD isnt unprofitable... its makeing profit.

And I dont think people are leaveing because they dont like the BOD, theyre probably leaveing because the BOD dont like them (usually the way it works).

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Actually, if Dell were to outfit their entire lineup with AMD CPUs, they would probably purchase every single CPU that AMD produces. It could be a win-win scenario for both companies.

And Dell would be bankrupt in six months when their sales fall 70%, as all their corporate customers would switch to HP.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Phynaz, what makes you assume, that all Dells Corporate customers, would switch to HP (because of a amd cpu)?

is it because the corporates cant get enough performance for their workers desktop pcs? how much cpu does a office workload require? more than AMDs cpus can deliver? or are you calling Corporate customers Intel fanbois that buy intel for no reason other than the name?