oh god...heart attack eminent...Captain Insane-0...why have you shown me this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Quasmo
damn america and it's backward ass telecom companies.

it's not just Japan with fatter home broadband.

They recently set a record for wireless too. Something in the TB range.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

wireless? link?

or do you mean the NTT 26Tbps~ Fiber world record?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
"The actual Internet connection speed may be lower depending on factors such as the subscriber's usage environment and line congestion."

You're not getting 1 Gbs througput.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
"The actual Internet connection speed may be lower depending on factors such as the subscriber's usage environment and line congestion."

of course not...but imagine half of that...a quarter...a fifth....

edit: I wonder what kind of equipment these companies are using to keep such services feasibly....even if you oversell like crazy, thats expensive equipment

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Martin
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I've heard of how foreign countries have better broadband then we do. It's all because we created our systems in the 70's and even before. Much was copper based. Now we have to run broadband through much of those old systems. DSL is a good example where your running signals through a system never intended to handle that type. We have been replacing much of the copper but it's expensive.

I remember hearing you can get 20 to 40mb for like 20 a month in japan. That's considerd basic!!!!!

No, it's not your old systems or geographic disposition - your comm. companies are very well connected politically and that ensures that they get their way - charging a ton of money for shitty service.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pu...t_20070810_002683.html

So we ignore the fact that only 2 of the 50 US states have a higher population density than Japan? Or that only 30% of Japan is really habitable? Or that Japan is a lot smaller than the US?
The differences between the two countries geographically does go a distance towards explaining the issues with countrywide super high speed broadband in the US.

And we'll forget the investment in the 60's in communications in Japan. It's all about connections and has nothing to do with the fact that Japan developed very differently to the US and is very different to the US. The only thing which matters is political power.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: spidey07

of course not...but imagine half of that...a quarter...a fifth....

edit: I wonder what kind of equipment these companies are using to keep such services feasibly....even if you oversell like crazy, thats expensive equipment

Look up GPON. It is kind of pricey, but when you have such a high density you can have one large termination unit servicing a ton of customers.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I've heard of how foreign countries have better broadband then we do. It's all because we created our systems in the 70's and even before. Much was copper based. Now we have to run broadband through much of those old systems. DSL is a good example where your running signals through a system never intended to handle that type. We have been replacing much of the copper but it's expensive.

I remember hearing you can get 20 to 40mb for like 20 a month in japan. That's considerd basic!!!!!

No, it's not your old systems or geographic disposition - your comm. companies are very well connected politically and that ensures that they get their way - charging a ton of money for shitty service.

So we ignore the fact that only 2 of the 50 US states have a higher population density than Japan? Or that only 30% of Japan is really habitable? Or that Japan is a lot smaller than the US?
The differences between the two countries geographically does go a distance towards explaining the issues with countrywide super high speed broadband in the US.

And we'll forget the investment in the 60's in communications in Japan. It's all about connections and has nothing to do with the fact that Japan developed very differently to the US and is very different to the US. The only thing which matters is political power.

Pretty much yes - these just a stupid excuse for failure, like a guy telling himself he didn't get a date because he he's too smart and too nice.

Read up on what's happening with the 700MHz auction and you'll see what I mean.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: alkemyst

wireless? link?

or do you mean the NTT 26Tbps~ Fiber world record?

I think I got confused with that...wireless was 6+gigabits, fiber was 10 gigabits

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
So if all the stuff you want is in the US, how fast is this super duper connection when you're in Japan?

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005

Don't you mean that the telecoms want us to ignore the fact that there are 2 states where they could easily do this if population density was the only issue? Given how we hear that population density is the reason they can do things like this then surely those 2 states could get service even close to this. Then again giving consumers a better connection in 2 states would make everybody else in the other 48 states realize that it's quite possible to get a good connection and force the telecomms to actually spend money and upgrade their networks.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Banzai042
Don't you mean that the telecoms want us to ignore the fact that there are 2 states where they could easily do this if population density was the only issue? Given how we hear that population density is the reason they can do things like this then surely those 2 states could get service even close to this. Then again giving consumers a better connection in 2 states would make everybody else in the other 48 states realize that it's quite possible to get a good connection and force the telecomms to actually spend money and upgrade their networks.

Yeah, like each state (roughly the size of japan) has it's own telecomm.
:thumbsdown:

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
We have test areas of the US with 1.25gbps verizon fios.

very very small test areas...

Been out for a while now.

Edit: i wish i was upper management.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Banzai042

As a matter of fact, Verizon is rolling out fiber in the most densely populated state (NJ) right now. Not sure if AT&T has made any progress on U-verse in the second most densely populated states (Rhode Island). It costs them over $1000 for each home to deploy the fiber. They don't claim 1 Gbps, but that company that Goosemaster linked to doesn't really claim 1 Gbps either.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yet another reason why America is falling into the dark ages. Japan FTW.

I can't wait to hear the Japanese complaining about Americans like people on ATOT complain about Mexicans.

"All they do is sit in their rooms and use the bandwidth - they don't contribute!"

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate

I can't wait to hear the Japanese complaining about Americans like people on ATOT complain about Mexicans.

"All they do is sit in their rooms and use the bandwidth - they don't contribute!"

Nah. America could turn into a shit-hole and the Japanese would still think we're MECCHA KAKUI!!! ^_^v

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Eh, our infrastructure is old and will costs a lot of $$$ to replace/upgrade. We were the first, and the rest follow us and 1-up us. For example, let us take cities. NYC vs Shanghai. NYC skyscrapers were built in the 60s or 70s (not 100% sure). Shanghai was probably just flat. US got better stronger, Shanghai copied us and it was able to build a metropolitan city from the ground up with proper urban planning. That is why if you go to Shanghai/Beijin or any other major East Asian city, you will notice that everything there is faster, more efficient, bigger etc. Its hard to redo the NYC subway or build bigger buildings in NYC if you think about it. Another example is Dubai, 50 years ago it was just a farmland.. look at it now..

Oh and we have 300+ million people. When China gets a 1 GBPS connection, let me know!

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Eh, our infrastructure is old and will costs a lot of $$$ to replace/upgrade. We were the first, and the rest follow us and 1-up us. For example, let us take cities. NYC vs Shanghai. NYC skyscrapers were built in the 60s or 70s (not 100% sure). Shanghai was probably just flat. US got better stronger, Shanghai copied us and it was able to build a metropolitan city from the ground up with proper urban planning. That is why if you go to Shanghai/Beijin or any other major East Asian city, you will notice that everything there is faster, more efficient, bigger etc. Its hard to redo the NYC subway or build bigger buildings in NYC if you think about it. Another example is Dubai, 50 years ago it was just a farmland.. look at it now..

Oh and we have 300+ million people. When China gets a 1 GBPS connection, let me know!
Yup! What ever!

The telco/cable companies have the government in their pocket.

Just to let you know, Vietnam opted to pay for the expensive optical cable when they were offered copper for free by the American soon after the US/Vietnam normalized relation during the 90s. Vietnam knew that they would have to suffer the low speed and depends on the American for outdated & expensive support.

[add]
If a poor third world country (specially during the 90s, the average laborer wage was $1.00 USD a day) like Vietnam can afford to go fiber, develop nations such as the US & Canada surely invest in such an infrastructure.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

Yup! What ever!

The telco/cable companies have the government in their pocket.

Just to let you know, Vietnam opted to pay for the expensive optical cable when they were offered copper for free by the American soon after the US/Vietnam normalized relation during the 90s. Vietnam knew that they would have to suffer the low speed and depends on the American for outdated & expensive support.

[add]
If a poor third world country (specially during the 90s, the average laborer wage was $1.00 USD a day) like Vietnam can afford to go fiber, develop nations such as the US & Canada surely invest in such an infrastructure.

Sure out telco's could afford it but that would cut into profits and that's not realistic since they've already got us bent over.

Ah well. I live out in BFE and just got Sprint mobile broadband and I'm thrilled with my 1Mbps connection :p

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
* "Up to 1 Gbps" indicates the maximum speed on the access section between the NTT East local switch and the optical network unit (ONU) installed at the subscriber's residence. The transmission speed of the subscriber is up to 100 Mbps. "Up to 100 Gbps" and "up to 100 Mbps" indicate maximum values based on technical standards. The actual Internet connection speed may be lower depending on factors such as the subscriber's usage environment and line congestion.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

Mar 10, 2005
we measure the expense in terms of homes passed. even in densely populated areas, our expense for ftth would be $5-6000/ home passed. this is due to infrastructure, materials, licensing, and labor. when someone gets cable installed, there is a loss that must be recovered over time. with ftth, that loss is absolutely massive.

how much would you like to pay for the internet? $100/mo.? $300/mo.? more? no? then stfu.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
we measure the expense in terms of homes passed. even in densely populated areas, our expense for ftth would be $5-6000/ home passed. this is due to infrastructure, materials, licensing, and labor. when someone gets cable installed, there is a loss that must be recovered over time. with ftth, that loss is absolutely massive.

how much would you like to pay for the internet? $100/mo.? $300/mo.? more? no? then stfu.

Then please, since you're so knowledgeable, tell us how other countries are doing it. I'm honestly curious to know. Who is this "we" you speak of, by the way.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate

Japan is what Japan is. For me, I don't want to work countless hours and live in a pod.
High bandwidth is needed more there I guess.
I'm just glad they share technology and come up with awesome gameshows, bloopers and pranks.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: quasi
There are similar speeds in Sweden and a few other European countries.

Or just abuse your college's network. :p

my home internet connection runs faster then my college internet did

Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler

Then please, since you're so knowledgeable, tell us how other countries are doing it. I'm honestly curious to know. Who is this "we" you speak of, by the way.

i will not disclose my employer.
other countries' expenses are a fraction of the US. you should know this.