oh god...heart attack eminent...Captain Insane-0...why have you shown me this?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
holy crap!

lol

thats faster than my router can handle lol

It's a little faster than that;)

At least some sort of dual wood crest box to effectively route at that speed with commodity hardware...just a guess...

I've seen dual opteron dual core boxes that can do load balancing at that speed though...

just imagine getting one of those for free if you commit to 12 months of service...

or just imagine your little linksys wrt54gs catchign on fire when you plugged in in...and then bitching about how now you can't upload the video of its untimely demise to Youtube....

oh the fun I would have

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
i could download everything on demonoid and maintain a damn good ratio with that connection :D

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
i could download everything on demonoid and maintain a damn good ratio with that connection :D

*checks ratio*

"oh my"

*fire up BT and minimizes it*
*checks email.../., digg, goes and gets a cup of coffee...*
*checks BT, smiles at new ratio*

*goes outside*

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
you probably wouldnt be able to maximize the bandwidth capacity of the line anyway, other people will be abusing the internet just like you are :p

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bonkers325
you probably wouldnt be able to maximize the bandwidth capacity of the line anyway, other people will be abusing the internet just like you are :p

abused Japanese Node > abused American 500Mbps node anytime....

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Nice, I'd be able to read ATOT threads before it's even posted. Oh well, back to my rickshaw connection in the States.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

*checks ratio*

"oh my"

*goes outside*

You know you wouldn't go outside!

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I've heard of how foreign countries have better broadband then we do. It's all because we created our systems in the 70's and even before. Much was copper based. Now we have to run broadband through much of those old systems. DSL is a good example where your running signals through a system never intended to handle that type. We have been replacing much of the copper but it's expensive.

I remember hearing you can get 20 to 40mb for like 20 a month in japan. That's considerd basic!!!!!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tw1164
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

*checks ratio*

"oh my"

*goes outside*

You know you wouldn't go outside!

we don't know that for sure..:(

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I've heard of how foreign countries have better broadband then we do. It's all because we created our systems in the 70's and even before. Much was copper based. Now we have to run broadband through much of those old systems. DSL is a good example where your running signals through a system never intended to handle that type. We have been replacing much of the copper but it's expensive.

I remember hearing you can get 20 to 40mb for like 20 a month in japan. That's considerd basic!!!!!

nah...not just that..it's because of a lack of completion. In capitalism a lack of competition reduces the returns companies make as they approach scale...so they sit on their asses.....

Worst of all, the internet is the new industrial revolution, and every country in the world is churning out more "auto-mobiles' and more "I" beams than us....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: quasi
There are similar speeds in Sweden and a few other European countries.

Or just abuse your college's network. :p

but 1Gbps.....I thought that was unheard of....it's just unbelievable...

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

No, it's not your old systems or geographic disposition - your comm. companies are very well connected politically and that ensures that they get their way - charging a ton of money for shitty service.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pu...t_20070810_002683.html