**OFFICIAL** Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

Page 187 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
hey folks i'm gonna roll up a BH or trooper on ShiCho tonite. Should I roll imperial or republic? I want to maximize the amount of people I can play with...I got noone to game with lately which makes me sad. Which side has the most active people from AT? And why cant we all just be one faction =p. Don't divide the AT goodness!

Also, in the highly unlikely event that someone would want to level with me, I'lll be starting up tonite around 5pm PST. Holler at me. My name is gonna be either Kei'th or Shay'la.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Not nearly enough at players on this or any mmo to really use that as basis forr a guild which is why i've never bothered with them.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Yeah I was thinking that might be the case. Well if anyone has a guild for me post it up and ill join ya!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well if you fire up on Shii-cho Republic, most of us there would be more than happy to help out. Number of guildies on is usually only between 3 and 8 at any given time, but nice, helpful people.

I've never had trouble finding groups among the regular populace on that server either.

KT

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Ilum is really broken atm... can't get recognition for any kills and everyone is farming the armaments. I'm enjoying the warzones at the moment when you get a close match it is really fun. The only problem is they are 1 in 5 maybe. I think the game will get better when there is rated pvp.

The bugs in the game really make the end game bad atm. After such a great leveling experience (compared to WOW the only other MMO I have played) I'm pretty disapointed with the end game pvp atm. But I have hope they will fix this in the coming months.

Any other PVPers feel like this?

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
A couple of my hardcore PvPers have dropped their subs in my guild. But as they were more concerned with PvPing than seeing end-game content, I was OK with that.

I've targeted March 6th as our first foray into Eternity Vault. Even though it's an 8-man I prefer to have 12 leveled and ready to go for emergency fill-ins at the last minute.

From what I've read the Ops breakdown is as follows;
2 tanks
2 healers (I have a Sorcerer and one of my DPS Mercs is going to go healer for operations)
4 DPS

I also read conflicting reports that one of the tanks has to be a ranged tank. Those with EV experience please chime in. Also what would be a good mix of DPSers? For example, would it be easier for ranged DPS over melee DPS? (ie Sniper/Marauder)

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
A couple of my hardcore PvPers have dropped their subs in my guild. But as they were more concerned with PvPing than seeing end-game content, I was OK with that.

I've targeted March 6th as our first foray into Eternity Vault. Even though it's an 8-man I prefer to have 12 leveled and ready to go for emergency fill-ins at the last minute.

2 tanks
2 healers (I have a Sorcerer and one of my DPS Mercs is going to go healer for operations)
4 DPS

I also read conflicting reports that one of the tanks has to be a ranged tank. Those with EV experience please chime in. Also what would be a good mix of DPSers? For example, would it be easier for ranged DPS over melee DPS? (ie Sniper/Marauder)

For normal mode it honestly wont matter to much and comes down to just common sense. As for "needing a ranged tank" i cant think of one fight you truly would need one. We had a main Tank Vanguard but most of his abilities were 10m range anyways plus the boss/mob would be standing on him anyways. We also had a jedi guardian offtank/mt and never had issues with just him.

As for the rest we ran me( jedi sage) and a commando for healer. Then usually 1-2 melee and the rest as ranged. like i said it really wont matter if you do 2 ranged and 2 melee as long as melee understands the mechanics of some fights and move out/force leap to objects they need to. You will need 2 dps for fabricator inside Kraggars palace just so you know (on normal we did it with myself and a ranged but it was rough solo healing for the commando)

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Ilum is really broken atm... can't get recognition for any kills and everyone is farming the armaments
I read about this, but it didn't happen to me. Finished my daily really fast (Tuesday is busy there), with only maybe 1 armament.

2 tanks
4 DPS

The "ranged tank" thing is probably because Vanguards/Powertechs have way better AOE threat management than Guardians/Juggernauts. So it's much easier to control the adds with one of these guys.

You can -- and this is apparently popular, though *not* what we've been doing -- single-tank most of the fights if you want, though this is trickier and moves the burden from the DPSers (don't hit enrage timer!) to the healers/tank. There's also at least one split-group encounter, so if you do this you'll want one guy who can off/faketank it.

Any DPS combo should work, though having a Smuggler or Agent definitely makes trash vanish faster.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yea I haven't had any problems with Ilum yet either, yesterday I grabbed a few armaments until republic showed up and I had my daily done pretty quickly.

I actually doubt there's any bug, people are just extremely quick to scream "OMG STEALTH NERF" after every patch because they're idiots. Saw a post the other day about some guy who was furious that Crushing Darkness/Mind Crush's DoT effect getting nerfed, with no patch note, from internal to kinetic damage and a few other people were real unhappy about it too. That is until someone bothered to mention how it's always been kinetic.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Is it bad of me that I don't really give too much of a shit about my teammates in warzones and whether we win or lose?

I mean, yeah, winning is nice, because you get more xp, valor, credits, commendations, legacy xp, etc. than when you lose. But other than that...

I'm kind of a jackass in the warzones. I've been playing my Vanguard lately, and I will intentionally put guard on (my order of preference) the highest level Sentinel, followed by Guardian, followed by Vanguard, followed by Shadow before I put guard on any other class including the healers. Why? Because within the first minute or so of the match, I know I'm going to have at least 3 medals:

1. The 2k protection without dying once
2. The 5k protection
3. The killing blow medal

And within about the first 3 minutes I know I'll be sitting at around 5 or 6 medals (10 kills, 75k damage).

I'm convinced I'm a bad person.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Is it bad of me that I don't really give too much of a shit about my teammates in warzones and whether we win or lose?

I mean, yeah, winning is nice, because you get more xp, valor, credits, commendations, legacy xp, etc. than when you lose. But other than that...

I'm kind of a jackass in the warzones. I've been playing my Vanguard lately, and I will intentionally put guard on (my order of preference) the highest level Sentinel, followed by Guardian, followed by Vanguard, followed by Shadow before I put guard on any other class including the healers. Why? Because within the first minute or so of the match, I know I'm going to have at least 3 medals:

1. The 2k protection without dying once
2. The 5k protection
3. The killing blow medal

And within about the first 3 minutes I know I'll be sitting at around 5 or 6 medals (10 kills, 75k damage).

I'm convinced I'm a bad person.

eh, I throw guard on whoever is close by and can use it

what's your highest medal count? I can't crack 8.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
eh, I throw guard on whoever is close by and can use it

what's your highest medal count? I can't crack 8.

I've hit 9 a few times now.

As mentioned above:

1. 2k protection without dying
2. 5k protection
3. Killing blow
4. 10 kills
5. 75k damage
6. 25 kills
7. 20k protection (or is it 25k)
8. 1k defender points (objective)
9. 3k defender points (objective)

The one round I went 60 kills and 4 deaths I was just shy of 300k damage. I think that would have been #10. Solo kill is another one I don't get terribly often, but that'd be #11.

Best I've done on any other class not named Guardian is 7 medals. I've done 8 with guardian.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I've hit 9 a few times now.

As mentioned above:

1. 2k protection without dying
2. 5k protection
3. Killing blow
4. 10 kills
5. 75k damage
6. 25 kills
7. 20k protection (or is it 25k)
8. 1k defender points (objective)
9. 3k defender points (objective)

The one round I went 60 kills and 4 deaths I was just shy of 300k damage. I think that would have been #10. Solo kill is another one I don't get terribly often, but that'd be #11.

Best I've done on any other class not named Guardian is 7 medals. I've done 8 with guardian.

ah IC. I rarely get 7-9...too busy zerging to get defender points haha.

I love playing huttball as a PT...Grapple + Electro Dart into the pit as an opening move, every round lol.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
ah IC. I rarely get 7-9...too busy zerging to get defender points haha.

I love playing huttball as a PT...Grapple + Electro Dart into the pit as an opening move, every round lol.

I hate Fuckball... Civil War is my forte. It's not hard to get 3k defender points even when you're zerging in Civil War.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I hate Fuckball... Civil War is my forte. It's not hard to get 3k defender points even when you're zerging in Civil War.

I fucking HATE civil war. Can rarely win that...maybe cuz Repubs have like 3-4 healers and Imps have none. It's crazy how rare healers are...I'd roll a healer if I had time (although I've always hated playing healer)

Sep 23, 2011

2 tanks
4 DPS

I am a Vanguard who tanks Ops weekly for my crew, so let me address a couple things. As a sidebar, I also was raiding with a commando before that.

1. We are not "ranged" tanks. We are "ranged/melee hybrid" tanks. In other words, if I'm sitting at 20M out, my threat will suck. I need to be 10M or less, which while technically "ranged," it really isn't. As a sidebar, my crew is decked out. When you first start out, keeping threat as a tank is ez-mode since your dpsers are meh. So I guess a VG/PT could throw down an AoE or spam weaker attacks at range and get some threat going. As you progress, that won't work. In my group, the mobs will come to be me half a second, laugh and break off. :)

For 8-man:

2. You need 1 tank. And yes, it can be any tank. We've done the modes of EV/Karag with each tank class.

3. You need 2 heals.

4. You then have 5 DPS.

5. For your DPS, ranged is easier, but it's doable with multiple melee as well (again, did both). The only fight where a mostly-melee party will have more of a "challenge" really is fight 2 in EV (Gharj) just because of the back n forth dance.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I fucking HATE civil war. Can rarely win that...maybe cuz Repubs have like 3-4 healers and Imps have none. It's crazy how rare healers are...I'd roll a healer if I had time (although I've always hated playing healer)

See, I don't generally find healing much of an issue in Civil War. For starters, I'm not afraid of death because I know I can get right back into the action in second - especially on the side caps. Secondly, I prefer to fight for/defend the mid cap because I know the environment and can use it effectively to handle LOS issues as well as get away from melees with gap closers effectively. It also lets me use mortar volley fairly effectively - if not anything than to make enemies move (and not turret up).

And finally, I've become adept and "rolling with the zerg", particularly on cap defense. Again, holding mid is sort of important for this, but I am usually one of the first to notice where the enemy is going. The key to MY play style is that I not be the first one to the action.

I may be a vanguard, but I play it more as a (dps) support class than anything else. That and the environment let me stay alive longer, do more damage, and get more kills.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
And finally, I've become adept and "rolling with the zerg", particularly on cap defense. Again, holding mid is sort of important for this, but I am usually one of the first to notice where the enemy is going. The key to MY play style is that I not be the first one to the action.

I think this is key - the team that figures this out/implements this strategy wins. If both teams figure this out/implement this strategy, then it's a very close fight.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I think this is key - the team that figures this out/implements this strategy wins. If both teams figure this out/implement this strategy, then it's a very close fight.

Indeed. Several contests recently have been basically who can react the best to the enemy's moves. A lot of the matches I've played recently (with relatively competent PUGs) have ended up where we lost a cap for a few minutes, but we've managed to regain it before losing our lead. Or alternatively picking up a second cap after being behind and competently holding them.

I've also been seeing a good amount of misdirection by opposing teams lately too. Thankfully I've been trying to pay attention to counteract that.

Biggest issue is communication.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Biggest issue is communication.

For sure, tough to type "inc left" when being mobbed by 5 guys.

What do you feel is the best initial strategy for civil war? 2 left, rest mid, then zerg left/right? or all mid then zerg left/right?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
For sure, tough to type "inc left" when being mobbed by 5 guys.

What do you feel is the best initial strategy for civil war? 2 left, rest mid, then zerg left/right? or all mid then zerg left/right?

Run mid, MAYBE 1 left to go cap it. Watch what the enemy team decides to do on the initial rush and react accordingly. If they split people off to YOUR team's left, send reinforcements. You'll have enough fighting at mid with even 3 or 4 to keep them from capping it while you wait for the full left cap and return reinforcements.

I've found that generally two people at mid is more than enough (unless they're idiots) to prevent a cap before your zerg can get back to it.

Really, just paying attention to the initial "rush" of what the enemy team does coming off the ramp will dictate the first 5 minutes of the match.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Run mid, MAYBE 1 left to go cap it. Watch what the enemy team decides to do on the initial rush and react accordingly. If they split people off to YOUR team's left, send reinforcements. You'll have enough fighting at mid with even 3 or 4 to keep them from capping it while you wait for the full left cap and return reinforcements.

I've found that generally two people at mid is more than enough (unless they're idiots) to prevent a cap before your zerg can get back to it.

Really, just paying attention to the initial "rush" of what the enemy team does coming off the ramp will dictate the first 5 minutes of the match.

yeah that level of coordination is just so hard with PUGs; thanks for the advice

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Anyone else catch this?

http://www.swtor.com/node/313532

I am curious if they are increase valor decay after each player death, or correcting issues where you sometimes get no credit/valor for a kill when you should have.

I am leaning towards a nerf in the speed you can obtain valor in Ilum