**OFFICIAL** Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread

Page 238 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No I didn't say that. You can buy things with cartel coins that you can sell for credits. zinfamous was saying he had all these coins and they were only good for unlocking stuff which isn't true

that's not what I said.

I said that while I get all these free coins for being a paying customer before, I still have to unlock the things which I already had access to by virtue of paying a sub for several months. I now have to unlock these things using these "free coins."

that pisses me off.

So, if I want to use them for other purposes, a significant pool of them now goes into recreating the game which I had already paid for. fuck that.

again--I think this is a fair enough model for new players just starting on the F2P path, but this is complete garbage for those that have already paid much more real money for game access than F2P will ever have to pay.

For me
to begin playing the game again, coins are essentially only good for unlocking all that I already have in this game from the grinding and sub payments over months. I thought locking out of FP and all of that without a sub makes sense-- but to put me in this version of a non-sub model even though I had already paid many months of a sub--garbage.

Last edited:

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
that's not what I said.

I said that while I get all these free coins for being a paying customer before, I still have to unlock the things which I already had access to by virtue of paying a sub for several months. I now have to unlock these things using these "free coins."

that pisses me off.

So, if I want to use them for other purposes, a significant pool of them now goes into recreating the game which I had already paid for. fuck that.

again--I think this is a fair enough model for new players just starting on the F2P path, but this is complete garbage for those that have already paid much more real money for game access than F2P will ever have to pay.

For me
to begin playing the game again, coins are essentially only good for unlocking all that I already have in this game from the grinding and sub payments over months. I thought locking out of FP and all of that without a sub makes sense-- but to put me in this version of a non-sub model even though I had already paid many months of a sub--garbage.

So you expect the same experience as a sub just because you played before?
sorry the world does not work that way.
want want the full experience pay the sub.
if not don't.

this is still a game they want subs for. This is not GW1/2
the FTP is just there to keep the money coming in and it is doing a good job.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So you expect the same experience as a sub just because you played before?
sorry the world does not work that way.
want want the full experience pay the sub.
if not don't.

this is still a game they want subs for. This is not GW1/2
the FTP is just there to keep the money coming in and it is doing a good job.

the things I want do not currently require a full sub, as far as I understand it. so, yeah, I want what I fucking paid for. otherwise, I got my enjoyable time out of it--though I believe I paid way too much for it in the first place (the sub model for MMOs is a complete joke any way you look at it, fwiw)

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Back in December/January I had a lot of technical problems with the game. I had corrupt files for install issues, and various graphical performance and setup issues that plagued my experience. I loved the game but it was a challenge getting it working and then they released a patch that forced my game to think it was 48:10 instead of 16:10 due to the presence of the other two monitors. I had had enough.

So the other week I deceided to give it a try again, see if the technical problems were gone. I installed via Origin but found that method is obsolete and doesn't work, you have to download the installer from the website. OK thankfully someone helped me with that one. Started the game, fishbowl 48:10 effect, again. Uninstalled.

Really fun game ruined by technical issues that remain over a year after it was released. I am not actually surprised they aren't fixing this stuff, they threatened to ban me for reporting a bug at one point, it was near on impossible to get them to accept the game had problems. Now this is the impact, its no wonder it didn't do well.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
A little of a necro revival, but anyone playing again with the expansion? I grabbed a 2-month sub and the Hutt Cartel expansion for cheap and plan on running through it.

Reviews or impressions so far?

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I've run through both sides on the expansion and here's my take

The Good
-The Makeb storyline is pretty good. Its a much more cinematic and larger world storyline than the previous SWTOR planets. I enjoyed being able to take some of my characters through to quest and experience a storyline again.
-Dailies - The game is literally swimming in dailies right now.
-Something to do after Makeb with the Seeker/Binocular quests. The quests themselves were a grind but the conclusions were pretty good.
-Class Balance. For the most part I think they did a good job here. They nerfed the lolsmashers and easy rolling Vanguard/Pyro. Most classes got some help, and Scoundrel/Operative dps may even be PvE viable these days. While nothing is perfect I think they did a good job of bring the most of the classes more towards the middle of the playing field.
-New Abilities. Every Adv class got a new power. The powers are mostly centered around helping the class out with a weakness PvP-wise, but some have good PvE applications as well.

The Meh
-Only one new Operation.
-The Gear grind has slowed down a lot. Not a bad thing itself but I have way too many alts to invest in getting them all top geared now.

The Bad
-No Class Story Continuation. Most know this but it doesn't seem like Class Stories will continue. So after you've been through Makeb once on each side, you've seen the new story. All your alts for that faction will have the same story without much personalization.
-No new Flashpoints, only hard mode versions of previous flashpoints that were lacking a hard mode.
-The Seeker missions especially are a mindnumbing grind like the HK component quests.
-Lack of Companion Interaction. Your companions say a line when entering an area and thats it. No conversations or dialogue interruption. You can still can Affection but thats it.

tl;dr For subscribers at $10 its priced right.

Last edited:

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
Not too sure but I think Rise of the Hutt is now free from email swtor sent. All you need to do is log in it seems. They must be getting desperate.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Not too sure but I think Rise of the Hutt is now free from email swtor sent. All you need to do is log in it seems. They must be getting desperate.

I'm so over the game that I just delete the emails when I see them. I saw free and wondered how they would use that against me.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006

its enough to get me to come back and give it another go. I have a level 50 sage i got when the game first came out. There was just nothing to do end game wise IMO so i quit. Be interesting to see how it is now and how the new story plays out. Since its free might as well!

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
It's only free for subscribers, which means another expansion is imminent.

No. It looks like it's free for everyone, because I got the email too, asking me to come back to get ROTHC for free and I've never been a subscriber.

Rejoin Now and Get Rewarded!
Starting September 12, when you rejoin the battle, you will be immediately rewarded with the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel and 500 Bonus Cartel Coins so you can continue your adventure up to Level 55 free of charge and be well equipped for your new adventure! Plus, reactivate your subscription through October 20, 2013, and receive the JA-3 Subversive Battle Droid Mini-Pet, and JA-3 Subversive Speeder for rejoining the battle!

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
its enough to get me to come back and give it another go. I have a level 50 sage i got when the game first came out. There was just nothing to do end game wise IMO so i quit. Be interesting to see how it is now and how the new story plays out. Since its free might as well!

Yeah I'm gonna give it another shot too. I have 3 level 50s, Sage, Scoundrel, and Vanguard. I really enjoyed the game but ended up leaving when the population got so low I could barely do any content. Seems ok now with all the mergers that happened.

Looks like 2 new ops and 4v4 ranked PvP in a couple weeks too. That 4v4 could be a lot of fun!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah i got that email too. but i think its to little to late.

it's a pitty. i was so excited about a star wars game. to bad they decided to make a single player cost $15 a month.

I lost all care about the game a long time ago.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I tried to play this again, but it seems like you have to buy revives or something now? Otherwise, you have to run like an hour back to your body? Well, no thanks. I played a good bit before it died at the beginning. Looks like I'll just uninstall and forget about it. =(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
honestly, if I had more time I'd probably come back just to experience the new xpac... but between a growing stack of console games and RIFT, it's hard to justify the time investment in playing SWTOR anymore.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
honestly, if I had more time I'd probably come back just to experience the new xpac... but between a growing stack of console games and RIFT, it's hard to justify the time investment in playing SWTOR anymore.

I feel you on this. I really wanted to enjoy SWTOR, and did for the most part. I never did the end game raids, but did a lot of level 50 pvp. I just put so many hours into SWG, despite it being bad. There were just a lot of other games out during the SWTOR time I found myself more inclined to play. =(

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
No. It looks like it's free for everyone, because I got the email too, asking me to come back to get ROTHC for free and I've never been a subscriber.
You bought the game, so you were a sub. All those benefits are sub only.

aphelion02

Dec 26, 2010

Join the guild Chust and I are in!. We are currently doing HM/Nightmare progression.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Join the guild Chust and I are in!. We are currently doing HM/Nightmare progression.

haha we will see. Have to see if i am even interested in the game naymore. I enjoyed it up till level 50..then for about 2 weeks. Remember we cleared it one week. Cleared hardmodes the next week. Then the guild completely fell apart and we couldnt even do normal raids haha.

What server are you guys on? Still the original one the AT guild was in?

aphelion02

Dec 26, 2010
haha we will see. Have to see if i am even interested in the game naymore. I enjoyed it up till level 50..then for about 2 weeks. Remember we cleared it one week. Cleared hardmodes the next week. Then the guild completely fell apart and we couldnt even do normal raids haha.

What server are you guys on? Still the original one the AT guild was in?

Yea, we're still there. Nightmare is actually hard now, we haven't been able to down 2nd boss of Terror from Beyond for months, and new tier of ops is coming out. There' definitely more endgame now.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Whenever my group's interest in XIV starts to waver (hopefully not for a while lol) I wouldn't mind going back and giving SWTOR another go. If nothing else I miss Huttball :D

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Whenever my group's interest in XIV starts to waver (hopefully not for a while lol) I wouldn't mind going back and giving SWTOR another go. If nothing else I miss Huttball :D

Oh man Huttball was amazingly fun with a full group of friends using voicechat

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I'm surprised people are still playing this game. They leveled it for the sake of making everything comparable and took out the fun :(.

Got to 50 and then called it quits. Some of the quests just SUCKED.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
So in a fit of boredom, I downloaded SWTOR as a FTP experience. I chose the Jedi Consular.

And gawd is it boring.

Combat is a joke, utterly unchallenging. You spend 90% of your time slogging your ass around and 10% of the time doing things. The story is just, well, silly.

I found WoW boring too, and this seems to take the most boring concepts of WoW and distill them into a Star Wars universe.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So in a fit of boredom, I downloaded SWTOR as a FTP experience. I chose the Jedi Consular.

And gawd is it boring.

Combat is a joke, utterly unchallenging. You spend 90% of your time slogging your ass around and 10% of the time doing things. The story is just, well, silly.

I found WoW boring too, and this seems to take the most boring concepts of WoW and distill them into a Star Wars universe.

That is all it was ever supposed to be: WoW in the Star Wars universe with 200 million dollars spent in voice acting. Companies still don't get that making a WoW clone won't topple, nor even match the success, of WoW. Look at EVE; I don't like it, but it survives and hasn't gone F2P yet (at least I haven't heard about it). That is one of the few MMOs out that don't copy WoW it seems.