** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Saw something confusing today... friend and I were 2v2'ing (both arranged teams). It was TZ v PP on monolyth ridge.

Both players opened an economy heavy 13 gate. One seemed to be going into a 4gate and the other was going a pretty fast 5 (maybe some $$ transfering was in their plan). But the 5gater put 1 pylon and 1 gate in his partner's base! Master level players if it matters.

My friend and I couldn't quite figure out why you'd want a gateway in your partner's base. A plyon makes sense to warp in reinforcements but a whole gateway? wat

it seems it might be a if my base gets wrecked plan. Though it actually hurts since you would gt vision into the base if you took out his nexus. I can't think of anything productive from doing this. What did they use this gateway for, where did the units go?

Jul 10, 2007
oh I just read you were talking about how you wanted to stop just the 4gate. My bad.

Well terran have drop ships and zerg has Olord drops + nydus. It's even to be honest. I think a person who doesnt scout in game will run into problems with proxy pylon issues.

zerg is already super mobile. they can have lings and mutas back at base at a moments notice (or spawn 50 units in 30 seconds).

terran drop ship is not fast enough. in fact, they made it slower a few patches ago. :rolleyes:
and they have no defensive ground structures, except for bunkers which will eat up 4 supply and costs 300 minerals, or a PF which is 550/150.
maybe their ability to repair makes up for it, maybe not.... i guess their style is just slow push, which really makes them a defensive race, where they're not even that good at if their army is out on a push.

toss ability to warp and reinforce/replenish their army anywhere near a pylon is a bit OP imo.

Last edited:

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I'm shocked that people think warping in units is a problem... Compared to how many units a good zerg player can pump out, and terran's stim pack warping is a minor, MINOR, issue. If we are talking solo balance it's really not a problem at all. You dont get to warp the units in anywhere you want... You have to plan for it, and place a pylon there. In most cases this requires a certain amount of risk, particularly against zerg. I lose almost all of my aggressive pylons when I play zerg. When I play terran it doesn't really matter. If the terran has half my units and stim pack, then I lose.

The only time warping in is strong is when you're finishing a game in solo. You take a probe with you for your big push and place a pylon during the battle. BOOM, instant reinforcements. This is very strong, but would not be solved by changing the way pylons work.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
it seems it might be a if my base gets wrecked plan. Though it actually hurts since you would gt vision into the base if you took out his nexus. I can't think of anything productive from doing this. What did they use this gateway for, where did the units go?

When you lose your last nexus/hatch/cc, I think the 'reveal' only gives you vision of the location of buildings. So it doesn't let you see units/whatever else around the building. The guy who put a gate in his partner's base looked to be 5gating (something you dont see that often). He built one sentry out of that gateway, which worked out well for them b/c the extra forcefield hurt us. He might've built a stalker there too but I don't recall. Then he tried to warp in units at his pylon to reinforce but we killed the pylon. So that gateway didn't really do much?

aww, no takers on my game w/husky? :(

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
When you lose your last nexus/hatch/cc, I think the 'reveal' only gives you vision of the location of buildings. So it doesn't let you see units/whatever else around the building. The guy who put a gate in his partner's base looked to be 5gating (something you dont see that often). He built one sentry out of that gateway, which worked out well for them b/c the extra forcefield hurt us. He might've built a stalker there too but I don't recall. Then he tried to warp in units at his pylon to reinforce but we killed the pylon. So that gateway didn't really do much?

aww, no takers on my game w/husky? :(

No.

Just kidding, Yes? Did you win? You should find a VOD so we can watch it that way :p

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
No.

Just kidding, Yes? Did you win? You should find a VOD so we can watch it that way :p

hmm yeah a video link would've been good, lol
http://www.justin.tv/suntzu86/b/284957549
It was part of a 2hr livestream from husky but I highlighted the relevant part. I watched teh other games he played as part of those 2hrs and like everyone asks if he's 'the' husky (including me). That must get old pretty quickly, lol.

edit: and yeah, we won :)

Jul 10, 2007
did they water down the leagues?

i've been getting into masters league in 2's, 3's and 4's with friends who are probably platinum players at best.
we had to replay 1 placement game to get ranked and we beat a high diamond but still... last season, we were high platinum iirc.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
did they water down the leagues?

i've been getting into masters league in 2's, 3's and 4's with friends who are probably platinum players at best.
we had to replay 1 placement game to get ranked and we beat a high diamond but still... last season, we were high platinum iirc.

leagues might be changing according to how many people are playing.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Don't get high on yourself. If you are a premade it would be astounding if you don't make it to masters. I know bunch of scrubs who are top masters in team league. All they know is early 10p 4gate hellion pressure. If that fails they have no idea how to carry a long term game and fail miserably. One guy, masters in 2s 3s and 4s, but BRONZE in 1s after 500 games.

Jul 10, 2007
Don't get high on yourself. If you are a premade it would be astounding if you don't make it to masters. I know bunch of scrubs who are top masters in team league. All they know is early 10p 4gate hellion pressure. If that fails they have no idea how to carry a long term game and fail miserably. One guy, masters in 2s 3s and 4s, but BRONZE in 1s after 500 games.

who's high on himself?

and i find your observations to be the opposite of mine.
people that play pub random 4's seem to get into masters by riding the coattails of others.

Jul 10, 2007
how do i toggle between groups of same buildings/units?

lets say i have 3 hatches in one group and i want to switch between them. how would i do that?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
how do i toggle between groups of same buildings/units?

lets say i have 3 hatches in one group and i want to switch between them. how would i do that?

default button to go between hatch is backspace which you can change.

for units, you can press tab to use specifc unit skills within a group.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
default button to go between hatch is backspace which you can change.

for units, you can press tab to use specifc unit skills within a group.

tab won't work for the same units. Just if you have different units in the same group.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Anyone watch Spanishiwa's Zerg play style? He holds off on gas until much later and typically plays with just lings, queens, and spine crawlers. He then techs up to infestors and eventually either ultras or broodlords. It's pretty cool to see innovative builds and playstyles that also work pretty well. He was just on day9 the other day too.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
It seems like the b.net crowd lately has turned more and more into something I would expect from a troll forum like /b/. Even playing a more casual map yesterday, someone on our team left, after spending all their minerals (they got disconnected), so me and my teammate were at a disadvantage. So we were losing slightly, didn't talk trash, but then the kid on the other team just starts spouting off profanity at pretty much a constant rate the entire rest of the game until I finally blocked communication on him.

It seems like this type of behavior has become more and more common lately. It's becoming tiring to play just because of all the smack-talk, even casual custom maps. Also the griefers seem to be running rampant, for example a map called "star battle" there was a guy named FASI that just kept pasting the same line of text, ALL IN CAPS, throughout the entire game and griefing people on his team by nuking other ships (this was a month or two ago that I ran into him before blocking him).

It's not that I am new to the internet and griefing, it's more that it seems to have an increasing frequency of occurrence than it used to from what I remember from even just a few months ago.

Jul 10, 2007
^
welcome to the internet.

templar's storm does friendly fire, and infestor fungal growth does not, is that correct?

i'm venturing into the other races' higher level units. lots to learn.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
^
welcome to the internet.

templar's storm does friendly fire, and infestor fungal growth does not, is that correct?

i'm venturing into the other races' higher level units. lots to learn.

That is correct-o.

however I rarely see templars unless they are just running rich. but i see infestor on most zerg games.

thank god they only buffed sentry build time, it would have been tough to stop toss zealot rush.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
I just played for the very first time in season 2.

1 game of 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3.

Diamond, Masters, and Masters respectively. I was Diamond in all brackets previously. Not sure where the Masters came from.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
I just played for the very first time in season 2.

1 game of 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3.

Diamond, Masters, and Masters respectively. I was Diamond in all brackets previously. Not sure where the Masters came from.

Masters is the top 200 in each division/region and sits above the Diamond league.

Give it a few games to level out some after you get a few losses, but if you do stay Masters, congrats!

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Masters is the top 200 in each division/region and sits above the Diamond league.

Give it a few games to level out some after you get a few losses, but if you do stay Masters, congrats!

AFAIK, Masters is top 2% of players. Grandmasters is top 200 players. Grandmasters requires a maximum bonus pool or you're automatically out. Masters has no such requirement.