** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
Don't get me wrong, they're are and will be many rage moments playing by yourself, but at least no one else is to blame.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
PTR 1.3.3 notes

Balance

PROTOSS
Archons are now a massive unit.
Pylon power radius has been decreased from 7.5 to 6.5.
Cybernetics Core
Research Warp Gate time increased from 140 to 180.
Gateway
Sentry train time decreased from 42 to 37.
Stalker train time decreased from 42 to 37.
Zealot train time decreased from 38 to 33.
Warp Gate unit train times remain unchanged.

TERRAN
Ghost
Cost changed from 150/150 to 200/100.
Salvage resource return reduced from 100% to 75%.

ZERG
Spore Crawler
Root time decreased from 12 to 6.

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug where Ghosts could not quickly EMP the same location.
Fixed a bug where players were still able to stack flying units on top of each other.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
PTR 1.3.3 notes

Love the ghost change. A few times I considered ghosts but rejected them due to the gas costs. Not sure about the protoss change. Guess it doesn't really matter if you're 4gating anyway.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
I'm a protoss player, and I'll just use my gateways to produce without warpgate.

IMO not a big deal. I disliked 4gate anyways since i prefer macro wars vs quick 8min wins

Jul 10, 2007
I'm a protoss player, and I'll just use my gateways to produce without warpgate.

IMO not a big deal. I disliked 4gate anyways since i prefer macro wars vs quick 8min wins

ask any gamer, any real gamer. it doens't matter if you win in 8 minutes or 15 minutes; winning's winning.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Question is are you playing to win or have fun. I rather play a good game and lose than cheese 5 wins in 1/2 hour.

I have fun either way. If you want a macro game, you can force your opponent into one by defending his 4 gate push. The 4 gate is hella strong, but as long as it's possible to defend it I'm satisfied with the balance of the game. I'm actually more worried about 2-gate proxies with the faster zealot production now. That has the possibility of ending the game in far less time than a 4 gate.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
This changes it back to what protoss was before. Now protoss can get a zealot out about when lings arrive to rape eco... Thats a nice change. Proxy will resurface as the zealots will pop out very quickly. Thats not a nice change... The 4-gate build wont change much. It will still be strong, just not as quick. What this really does for protoss is re-open the tech tree. Now people can 2-gate into stargate or robo-bay play. That's a nice change.

It's a difficult thing to fix for Blizzard. Protoss has the least flexibility of the three races but also the easiest strat to pull off. I think that Blizzard is on the right track here. What they may want to do to fix it is in addition to the zealot time decrease they can lower zealot health (shields or hp doesnt matter much) and then give it back to them later with charge. This will decrease the strength of proxy while keeping zealots useful early. Dunno... Just brainstorming here...

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
- this is awesome! No more Conc slow down ftw! + forcefields say good bye.
- won't play a roll with my play style but for ppl who love to warp in units using high ground techniques say good bye to that strat for the most part.
Cybernetics Core Research Warp Gate time increased from 140 to 180.
- with cronoboost this will only slow down warpgate timing pushes by about 20-30seconds depending on how good you are with your CB timings

Gateway
- awesome!
- awesome x 2!
- awesome x 3!

I'm most excited about these GW train time changes because it'll allow me to open with different strategies, 2 gate CB'd stalker pushes sound awesome vs a marine bio push player.

Jul 10, 2007
anyone else feel that proxy pylons should require an upgrade in addition to warp gate?
e.g. you need to upgrade each individual pylon that you want to be able to warp to.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
anyone else feel that proxy pylons should require an upgrade in addition to warp gate?
e.g. you need to upgrade each individual pylon that you want to be able to warp to.

I dunno. I think that might potentially be too crippling in instances where the opposing player targets down your warp-in pylons and you lose all ability to produce units until you can convert back to gateways.

Jul 10, 2007
I dunno. I think that might potentially be too crippling in instances where the opposing player targets down your warp-in pylons and you lose all ability to produce units until you can convert back to gateways.

true, but as it is now, it's too OP.
as a pro-gamer said (i believe it was painuser), the ability to warp units anywhere on the map where there is a pylon, at anytime, is OP.

make it quick and cheap, like 25/25 and 5 second upgrade, and adds HP over regular pylon... anything to slow down 4 gates.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
It's not any more over powered than Zerg's instant army replenish or Terran's ability to shut down scouting.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
it's pretty easy to stop a 4gate push.

General tactics-
1.zerg - go fast roach
2.protoss - fast 2x stalker push to deny the zealot + stalker + probe moving out
3.terran - go super fast mara's and push.

Jul 10, 2007
it's pretty easy to stop a 4gate push.

General tactics-
1.zerg - go fast roach
2.protoss - fast 2x stalker push to deny the zealot + stalker + probe moving out
3.terran - go super fast mara's and push.

it's not just the 4gate push.
it's the ability to warp units all over the map.

and for defense too. harassing his mineral line? leave one cannon and warp units in.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
it's not just the 4gate push.
it's the ability to warp units all over the map.

and for defense too. harassing his mineral line? leave one cannon and warp units in.

oh I just read you were talking about how you wanted to stop just the 4gate. My bad.

Well terran have drop ships and zerg has Olord drops + nydus. It's even to be honest. I think a person who doesnt scout in game will run into problems with proxy pylon issues.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
oh I just read you were talking about how you wanted to stop just the 4gate. My bad.

Well terran have drop ships and zerg has Olord drops + nydus. It's even to be honest. I think a person who doesnt scout in game will run into problems with proxy pylon issues.

Protoss already have warp prisms

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Saw something confusing today... friend and I were 2v2'ing (both arranged teams). It was TZ v PP on monolyth ridge.

Both players opened an economy heavy 13 gate. One seemed to be going into a 4gate and the other was going a pretty fast 5 (maybe some $$ transfering was in their plan). But the 5gater put 1 pylon and 1 gate in his partner's base! Master level players if it matters.

My friend and I couldn't quite figure out why you'd want a gateway in your partner's base. A plyon makes sense to warp in reinforcements but a whole gateway? wat

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Watched a lot of Spanishiwa's games. That guy is pretty awesome and makes for some incredible replays. Him vs Destiny or kitty EPIC. I'm actually not sure I've witnessed a non-epic game played by him.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
- this is awesome! No more Conc slow down ftw! + forcefields say good bye.
- won't play a roll with my play style but for ppl who love to warp in units using high ground techniques say good bye to that strat for the most part.
Cybernetics Core Research Warp Gate time increased from 140 to 180.
- with cronoboost this will only slow down warpgate timing pushes by about 20-30seconds depending on how good you are with your CB timings

Gateway
- awesome!
- awesome x 2!
- awesome x 3!

I'm most excited about these GW train time changes because it'll allow me to open with different strategies, 2 gate CB'd stalker pushes sound awesome vs a marine bio push player.

Sounds about right, if they make steam take 20% from life, the bunker to take 5 minutes to build, marines to reload half as fast and make stalkers fly they're all set.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Oh wow, my friend and I were just (eh like 2hrs ago) matched against HuskyStarcraft in a 2v2! :D And the game was on his justin.tv live feed! Super exciting. TZ (us) vs PT (them); I'm suntzu on bnet if anyone wants to watch the game.