** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Played with some friends and what bothers me the most is how bad their skill level is compared to you. And you don't want to be a mean person and say "OMG GET BETTER ASFQFDSA".

Okay vent done.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I really enjoy playing with friend at lower levels.

in our team game we may be silver/gold and it is much less stressfull when playing as opposed to my 1v1 or 2v2 random.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
IOW, you have fun pwning noobs.
:p

actually no.

That is why we end up in silver or gold, because we lose some games. I just like it because I can go into every game no caring nearly as much about winning. I sometimes try different things just to try them.

Just less stressfull.

endervalentine

Jan 30, 2009
Okay, really stupid question but is there a way to quickly crono all 4 of your gates?
I know you can select 'w' and start warping guys in but once that's done, how do you crono your warp gates so that you can warp more guys in quicker?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
oops, I don't play Protoss much, for some reason I didn't think you could chrono them. Oh well.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
So bloody frustrating this game is. I was placed near the top of Silver league (god knows why, I suck balls) and now I'm 2 wins 8 losses this weekend. So flippin frustrating...

I only play Toss. My strategies are either Void Rays or Stalker/Colossus. I'm really good if I can make it to midgame, but if my allies are attacked I'm boned. I can hold my own but if my ally across the map gets attacked, I'm useless, and everyone yells and swears at me. It sucks.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
So bloody frustrating this game is. I was placed near the top of Silver league (god knows why, I suck balls) and now I'm 2 wins 8 losses this weekend. So flippin frustrating...

I only play Toss. My strategies are either Void Rays or Stalker/Colossus. I'm really good if I can make it to midgame, but if my allies are attacked I'm boned. I can hold my own but if my ally across the map gets attacked, I'm useless, and everyone yells and swears at me. It sucks.

If your ally across the map is attacked and that's the first sign you have of the attack, just about anyone will be useless, lol.

The real issue is that you (or your team) needs to scout better. Hold the xel nagas & watch that mini-map, position spotters near enemy ramps to see when they move out, etc. In team games it is also extremely useful to have all players pick aggressive openings that move out in the 5-6 minute time-frame.

Anyway good scouting will let you know when the enemy is moving and your team can respond accordingly. Don't get surprised by attacks. If you do, it is often better to counter-attack rather than scramble to try and help your teammate b/c by the time you get there, he'll probably be mostly dead anyway.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I love the Dawn of War series (1 and 2)...
I played Starcraft back in the days but never multiplayer.

Is it worth it just for the singleplayer campaign?

I like Dawn of War much better but because of the crummy MP system it has a small player base.
The SC2 campaign is OK, but its NOT worth 60 bucks. The campaign is long for just being terran. Every single unit has to be unlocked by playing one mission, and theres some bonus missions on top of that.
I'd say its worth 30 all by itself and the other 30 is a good deal for all the MP action. Not to mention the best matchmaking and ladder system in any game right now.

Yes, there are loads of complaints but they are mostly nitpicks cuz its great overall and also cuz you have a million whiny emo tweens playing it.

Jul 10, 2007
Have you never looked at this thread before?

I'm bronze 99. I'm ALWAYS bronze 99.

i noticed that it seemed very easy to go up a league in season 2.

a lot of my platinum teams got bumped to diamond after playing the placement game.
and these are on teams with people I know who have no business playing in diamond level games.

perhaps the inclusion of grand master league moved everyone up a league?
diamond feels very watered down now. heck, i've been beating master level players.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Alright, strategy question. I play as Protoss. I have a rather decent opening and I can generally avoid being killed off early on. Often times I can setup shop outside the enemies base and stop them from expanding. When I play against Terran though, I have a difficult time of actually breaking in. Bunkers/Tanks do a great job of keep me at bay and tearing the shit out of my Zergs/Stalkers/Collosus. I've tried dropping in behind them but if they build up turrets around their base its a bit of a difficult task. Any suggestions on what type of unit composition to have to siege a base with a lot of defenses?

Jul 10, 2007
Alright, strategy question. I play as Protoss. I have a rather decent opening and I can generally avoid being killed off early on. Often times I can setup shop outside the enemies base and stop them from expanding. When I play against Terran though, I have a difficult time of actually breaking in. Bunkers/Tanks do a great job of keep me at bay and tearing the shit out of my Zergs/Stalkers/Collosus. I've tried dropping in behind them but if they build up turrets around their base its a bit of a difficult task. Any suggestions on what type of unit composition to have to siege a base with a lot of defenses?

expand. early and often.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I really wish you could play different leagues based on your race. I want to learn to play better as Zerg, but there is no way I could learn anything playing against Diamond players.

I used to only play as Terran, and lately I have been doing Protoss with some success for a change of pace. I would like to do the same as zerg, but I feel the learning curve is much higher since they are a very different race(and I never did use them in SC1).

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
also, the pool system, while good, is flawed at doing division ranks.

If you are worried about your division rank, you should never play a game where you don't have enough in your pool to boost your points for a win.

Simply enough, without a pool, if you win 5 games and lose 5 games you will end up with a net of 0 total points.

With a full pool, win 5 and lose 5 you will end up with about 50 extra points since your wins double but your losses don't.