***Official Reviews Thread: Nvidia GTX650Ti***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Price/perf is only one value, there are several other factors that make up worth!

Indeed. Form factor, power consumption, noise, etc. Each can be objectively evaluated to determine a card's worth in comparison to others, and if it is worth the price it is being sold at. For the performance you get out of it, the 650 Ti is not worth the price it is being sold at.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Look at the graphic again. The lighter colored bars represent the DX10 cards, so my guess would be that those are running DX9, hence the color distinction.

ygorb.gif

you might be right, but what I found strange is that the 6770 in DX11 is faster than the 4890 in DX9, if I remember correctly, there was a huge decrease in performance for the Radeon 5k series in this game in DX11 mode?!

and in most DX9 tests the 4890 was slightly faster than the 6770 (back in the day)

or you can run Crysis 2 in DX11 without tessellation?

edit: Bulletstorm is DX9 only and they are using the same color scheme.

sgtjdu.gif

Last edited:

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
The problem is after you beat the AC game, you still end up with a card that's in another league against the 7850 in performance. No one buys a GPU for just 1 game. ............

I was like what???? but then i started thinking you may have missed the point. What ExarKun333 was saying:
For the people already planning to buy Assassins creed 3, the 650ti's price would effectively drop $50-$60 they were gonna pay for the game anyway. For those people, the bundled 650ti would only cost them $90-$100 making it very attractive then. Now before you disregard this completely, please consider the popularity of assassins creed. ubisoft has sold over 30 million copies, it is a huge title. There will be many people interested in this game, and now with the bundle they could snatch a 650ti for pretty cheap.

Now, i am not suggesting anyone buy the 650ti. I only wanted to first clarify what ExarKun333 was saying and then i though i might add to it. I know you will disagree but it doesnt matter too much to me. There is a market for AC3 and at least to them this bundle could be a bargain.

This only applies to those planning on buying AC3 and on a budget. If previous sales are acceptable to go on, then there are numerous individuals who could be drawn to the bundle. And for them its not a bad value at all. And they arent just blind sheep. For those people, its actually a better value than anything priced near the 650ti.

just saying

Last edited:

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
I was like what???? but then i started thinking you may have missed the point. What ExarKun333 was saying:
For the people already planning to buy Assassins creed 3, the 650ti's price would effectively drop $50-$60 they were gonna pay for the game anyway. For those people, the bundled 650ti would only cost them $90-$100 making it very attractive then. Now before you disregard this completely, please consider the popularity of assassins creed. ubisoft has sold over 30 million copies, it is a huge title. There will be many people interested in this game, and now with the bundle they could snatch a 650ti for pretty cheap.

Now, i am not suggesting anyone buy the 650ti. I only wanted to first clarify what ExarKun333 was saying and then i though i might add to it. I know you will disagree but it doesnt matter too much to me. There is a market for AC3 and at least to them this bundle could be a bargain.

This only applies to those planning on buying AC3 and on a budget. If previous sales are acceptable to go on, then there is probably is numerous individuals who are drawn to the bundle. And for them its not a bad value at all.

just saying

To add to your point, it'll be enticing to the mainstream consumer. AC3 is a big title to come out and majority of consumers go for the middle range of gpus, generally looking at spending only $200-$250 as a maximum in their budget... if that even. The 650ti will appeal to the mainstream especially with an AC3 bundled in since it'll be a popular title on a wish list.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I read a review somewhere today, I think HWC or Tom's, saying that only the more expensive GTX 650 Ti variants will come with ACIII. Those variants are mostly or all factory overclocked cards. The cheapest GTX 650 Tis will not come with ACIII, at least not at launch.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I read a review somewhere today, I think HWC or Tom's, saying that only the more expensive GTX 650 Ti variants will come with ACIII. Those variants are mostly or all factory overclocked cards. The cheapest GTX 650 Tis will not come with ACIII, at least not at launch.
well every 650ti on newegg has AC 3. its an Nvidia promo so it would be silly to only bundle the game with certain overclocked cards.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
well every 650ti on newegg has AC 3. its an Nvidia promo so it would be silly to only bundle the game with certain overclocked cards.

Hey I'm just passing along what I read, which could very well be wrong. If NV's PR was wrong, so be it, better for consumers.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2052/14/

UPDATE 11am CT on 10-09-2012: We noticed that not all GeForce GTX 650 Ti video cards are coming with Assassins Creed 3. For example look at EVGA's pricing breakdown:

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB - $149.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB SSC - $159.99 (Free Assassins Creed III included)
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB - $169.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB SSC - $179.99 (Free Assassins Creed III included)
We contacted NVIDIA and asked where are the $149 cards with AC3 and was told this:

"We don’t have a $150 SKU with AC3 on day of launch. For $5 more ($154.99), you will find ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI and Zotac boards with AC3 bundled. All of these SKUs are OC models as well." - NVIDIA PR

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Lmao I stopped reading after that sentence. No wonder people claim there are AMD fanboys here.

per·pet·u·al (pr-pch-l)
adj.
1. Lasting for eternity.
2. Continuing or lasting for an indefinitely long time.
3. Instituted to be in effect or have tenure for an unlimited duration: a treaty of perpetual friendship.
4. Continuing without interruption. See Synonyms at continual.
5. Flowering throughout the growing season.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/perpetually

Btw you are forgetting that NV beat AMD to a refresh; the high end GTX 5xx (580/570) series rolled out before HD 69xx. Not by much, only a month or so, but it's enough to make it impossible for you to use definitions 1-4 above. So I guess you are saying that AMD is "Flowering throughout the growing season" unlike NV. I guess I'll give you that one. Lol.

Fair = remembering both sides of the story, such as ATI's HD 29xx coming out late and uncompetitive.

Honestly, people can claim that there are AMD fanboys haunting these boards, but the fact is that this is a message board for enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are all about getting the most performance for the money, and trying to extract every bit of performance out of products that they can.

The reason why so many posters here seem like AMD fanboys is simply because common sense at this point dictates that AMD is the better enthusiast choice for GPU's at this time. Once Nvidia drops another 8800GT on the market the tone of these boards will change drastically.

Until then, we'll all be seeing red, and the nvidia fanboys will be green with envy. Pun intended.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
A question about the gtx 650 ti being botlenecked by the 128 bit bus. Isnt the gtx 680 bottlenecked exactly the same amount? Double the shaders, ROPs, TUs, double the memory bus. The memory is slightly faster but the shaders are clocked higher too.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
A question about the gtx 650 ti being botlenecked by the 128 bit bus. Isnt the gtx 680 bottlenecked exactly the same amount? Double the shaders, ROPs, TUs, double the memory bus. The memory is slightly faster but the shaders are clocked higher too.

Bottlenecked the same amount, no. Bottlenecked the same way, possibly. It's possible you could scale workloads up and eventually hit a memory bandwidth bottleneck in the same manner as the 650 Ti. I really don't know if that's the case though; performance doesn't always scan linearly.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Honestly, people can claim that there are AMD fanboys haunting these boards, but the fact is that this is a message board for enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are all about getting the most performance for the money, and trying to extract every bit of performance out of products that they can.

If that were honestly the case why isn't there tons of threads posting insanely hostile posts towards AMD for gouging us with insanely overpriced products until nVidia forced them to lower their prices? That is *EXACTLY* what happened when the shoe was on the other foot.

Also, where is the rhetoric directed at the 7770 which in proportion is in the same price/performance range as the 650Ti? $120-$160 is the current price range on the 7770 at NewEgg as I type this.

I guess you are right that fan doesn't describe the general vibe around this board, but AMD doesn't publicly admit to their own focus groups yet so we end up with the fan tag.

Bonus points: If you take overclocking into account where 7850 can equal HD7870, the performance grows to 50-60% faster for $20 more. When was the last time $20 more bought 30-40% higher stock GPU performance and 50% more peformance w/ overclocking? Never in the history of GPUs has $20 extra spent in retail bought any gamer this much performance and overclocking advantage.

Seriously, you need to tone it down a *ton* if you want to come off as anything but team Red's Rollo.

Most demanding AA settings used, and the 650Ti flat out beats the 7850?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review/12

Your rhetoric is *way* past fanatic fanboy, it's getting Rollo stupid.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
If that were honestly the case why isn't there tons of threads posting insanely hostile posts towards AMD for gouging us with insanely overpriced products until nVidia forced them to lower their prices? That is *EXACTLY* what happened when the shoe was on the other foot.

Also, where is the rhetoric directed at the 7770 which in proportion is in the same price/performance range as the 650Ti? $120-$160 is the current price range on the 7770 at NewEgg as I type this.

I guess you are right that fan doesn't describe the general vibe around this board, but AMD doesn't publicly admit to their own focus groups yet so we end up with the fan tag.

Seriously, you need to tone it down a *ton* if you want to come off as anything but team Red's Rollo.

I have never seen you criticize nVidia or commend AMD so what does that make you?

Pot...kettle...black

Granseth

May 6, 2009

(...)

So according to you there wasn't any critical voices about AMD's pricing in january/february?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2223071&highlight=7970 Look at the people who is critical to the prices here might be the same people who are critical today about nVidias prices?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have never seen you criticize nVidia or commend AMD so what does that make you?

I have a thirteen year post history on this forum, you can find me slamming every company I ever complimented many times over I assure you. The 9600GT was the first nVidia graphics card I bought this *millenium*.

Pot...kettle...black

What did I post that was commending nVidia or criticizing AMD? I was pointing out that insanely out of line slant that some posters around here have.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...highlight=7970 Look at the people who is critical to the prices here might be the same people who are critical today about nVidias prices?

Those are people saying to buy the 7970 at $549, they were criticizing the gouging going on at the retailers for the 7950, not the price AMD set.

Last edited:

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
I have a thirteen year post history on this forum, you can find me slamming every company I ever complimented many times over I assure you. The 9600GT was the first nVidia graphics card I bought this *millenium*.

What did I post that was commending nVidia or criticizing AMD? I was pointing out that insanely out of line slant that some posters around here have.

Those are people saying to buy the 7970 at $549, they were criticizing the gouging going on at the retailers for the 7950, not the price AMD set.

Because at the time the GTX 580 was still going for 500$ if I recall correctly. Context is pretty important, you know?

Granseth

May 6, 2009
@BenSkywalker
A quick check shows the cheapest 7950 to be $90 less than the cheapest 7970, so close. But even $100 less seems too much for me, of course I have not seen performance. AMD is going to incur a backlash if they keep this up.
This is a comment from the given thread. As you can see there where critics of the price even befor they knew the performance.

But of course you knew that, you just like to troll, don't you.
What you could find is that the critics aren't as hard, but that might be because some people have been fanatically defending nVidias prices, something that usually agitate.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because at the time the GTX 580 was still going for 500$ if I recall correctly. Context is pretty important, you know?

The context is that people were saying to buy the 7970 for $549. Was it a bad deal at the time at that price? Absolutely. Was the GTX 580 insanely stupidly overpriced at that time? Absolutely. Were either one of them in the realm of being a good value? Not even remotely close.

But of course you knew that, you just like to troll, don't you.

From the same poster-

Oh well, I'm going to pick up an ASUS 7970 when they become available locally, so I'm not completely bothered by the price.

That person was planning on buying one as soon as he could for MSRP. Did you bother to read the thread?

What you could find is that the critics aren't as hard, but that might be because some people have been fanatically defending nVidias prices, something that usually agitate.

Show me who is fanatically defending nVidia prices in this thread, or are you just trolling along? I see a person who states that if you are going to buy AC3 anyway this card is a good deal. The 650Ti for $90 would obliterate the price/performance of the 7850, and that is the end effect if you were going to buy the game anyway in terms of total cost to consumer(above buying the game alone). Show me this fanatic defense of the price of the 650Ti pricing.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The GTX 650 TI brings nVidia/Kepler and its strengths to the 150 price-point. It is competition at this price-point that there was reduced AMD pricing to try to be more competitive with the HD 7770 and HD 7850 sku's. What on Earth is there to really complain about?

More Kepler choice to consider from nVidia and move performance value to consider from AMD; it's all good to me.

If the GTX 650 TI doesn't sell well with AC3, there may be price adjustments.

Last edited:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008

Convenient link to one of the few wins. The 7850 was on average considerably faster.

Regardless, I've seen time after time about how pitiful this generation has been for performance increases, and I'm not impressed myself. Naturally a lot of people have thrown out arguments and excuses for why the performance gains aren't there but I think one thing people have agreed on are the dismal performance gains (for the money). Now 10 months after the first introductions prices have fallen quite a bit on the high end, so that's not as horribly overpriced as they were at launch (AMD anyway).

I do agree there are too many fanboys, but this is the wrong card to recommend with the current pricing. The reviews even suggest not using this card for 1080p and high settings.

Granseth

May 6, 2009
@BenSkywalker
Yes I read the thread, and I said that people complained about the price then as quoted from the same thread. I newer said that there where some people who didn't mind the price, and that was never the discussion, so stop coming with arguments that doesn't do anything but sidetrack the discussion!

As to fanaticism, If you look at post #7 for example you can find a post that doesn't contribute anything but is just posted to confuse the fact that 650Ti is competing to 7850 in price but not performance.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
@BenSkywalker
Yes I read the thread, and I said that people complained about the price then as quoted from the same thread. I newer said that there where some people who didn't mind the price, and that was never the discussion, so stop coming with arguments that doesn't do anything but sidetrack the discussion!

As to fanaticism, If you look at post #7 for example you can find a post that doesn't contribute anything but is just posted to confuse the fact that 650Ti is competing to 7850 in price but not performance.

You are calling people trolls, :rolleyes:Do you read a thread with horse blinders on ? 4 post's before post 7, every one mentioned the 7850 and it's price point represented in various reviews. Some say misrepresented.
And newegg prices of actual available cards were listed to show there was no hidden deception. Alot of which is claimed by delusional, irrational posters. Subliminal bias, I'm reading about now ? What's next?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I wish the reviews would give some good feedback on how various NVidia cards will perform when used as secondary Physx cards.

I mean, such info would be very handy, especially on more affordable NVidia cards.