***Official Reviews Thread*** Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan - Launched Feb. 21, 2013

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Oh! You mean like the Bulldozer CPU WR.

Indeed.

That was frequency, though someone who attacks TechReport because AMD looks bad while having no idea the difference between cpu physics and gpu frame times - let's just say it's not unexpected you wouldn't know the difference.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
GTX 690 has hardware frame metering, from my understanding but when one raised the complexity with multi-monitor resolutions in that specific game -- the single GPU's did shine a bit more.

Show me the IC responsible for that HARDWARE FRAME METERING.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
That was frequency, though someone who attacks TechReport because AMD looks bad while having no idea the difference between cpu physics and gpu frame times - let's just say it's not unexpected you wouldn't know the difference.

Dude, it's all over the web that disabling Vsync Skyrim physics get nasty.

Should I do the Google search for you or may I give you a biased link?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Dude, it's all over the web that disabling Vsync Skyrim physics get nasty.

Should I do the Google search for you or may I give you a biased link?

Did you miss my 470 results in Skyrim at 60 fps, with Adaptive and no limting @ 100+?

Here it is again.

8496532112_e8b4e3b6ba_h.jpg

The cart flipped and horses started to fly, but you'll notice it had no effect on GPU frame times - as well it shouldn't since they're not directly related. :hmm:

mythbusted.jpg

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
No, Nvidia is using software and hardware to smooth frame delivery in SLI with Kepler.

AMD is still brute forcing, they have great scaling but their frame times are... well awful.

Are you talking CF here? Because in the Techreport review single 7970Ghz frame latencies vs. 680 is pretty much even steven, at least when reading the conclusions for each game and how those graphs translate into visuals.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Why are their slithers with AMD and not with nVidia? That's key!

Because SLI actually renders every frame that it reports.
CF reports it but fails to draw practically all of it.

Enjoy your high BF3 CF frames, where every 3rd frame is skipped.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think you're off a bit on this one. The Titan isn't made for millionaires. The Titan is for hardcore PC lovers that have a decent amount of disposable income and like to get really nice stuff. When you think about it $1000 isn't a tremendous amount of money. Many people spend this much on their LCD big screen or a new rifle with spare mags and some ammo. Lots of people spend far more than this to go on a vacation for a week to the islands. People in this category aren't even close to your description of the Titan target. The Titan is a low-end luxury item, nothing more, nothing less.

LOOL! You had to go there. You been watching me? I JUST hooked myself up with a rifle and scope that was about $300 short of buying two Titans. SO THATS where my Titan money went! I'll keep the damn rifle. In two years it will still shoot. Where will the Titan be in two years?
I'm an average guy with an average income, so I have to make choices and I can't buy things often. That said, the Titan would be a titanic waste of my rare and hard earned income.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
May I know how's is that related with benching with physics going bonkers?

Deflecting much?

Um nothing, that's the point... Both cards ran without vysnc, at lower fps than I did and there was no difference between limited and uncapped 60+ in skyrim with physics going bonkers..

I can't believe I needed to type that out. :|

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
I have to say that to me a single 7970Ghz is looking better and better compared to the Titan. I had big hopes for the Titan and was pretty excited about it. But alas, the price in my country is actually $1300 (including VAT mind you). That pushes it out of my budget.

Nvidia priced themselves out of my money this round. But that's me. Congrats to anyone who gets their hands on this card!

So now I'm thinking 7970Ghz and maybe going green next year instead. I'm in need of new SSDs as well, and I will actually get two Samsung Pros - 128GB and 256GB - plus the 7970GHz for $200 less than the Titan costs!

To me that's a no brainer really.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I'm surprised not much has been said about Titan's perf/watt efficiency in this thread. It's pretty damn incredible, putting gk104 and Tahiti to shame.

perfwatt_2560.gif

1361407369LgJkN5z5XL_10_1.gif

53406.png

If Nvidia is refreshing the Kepler lineup this year (and they absolutely should, IMO), there should be some noticeably perf/watt improvements among the new cards. I'd like to see gk114 start out at $399, but that probably isn't likely to happen. Maybe they can slide it in at the existing price and add 5-10% in performance, keeping the power draw the same (or even lowering it). Who knows though. Nvidia may have opened up a performance beat down on AMD with Titan, but AMD has the better bundle and better prices right now for sure.

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
LOOL! You had to go there. You been watching me? I JUST hooked myself up with a rifle and scope that was about $300 short of buying two Titans. SO THATS where my Titan money went! I'll keep the damn rifle. In two years it will still shoot. Where will the Titan be in two years?
I'm an average guy with an average income, so I have to make choices and I can't buy things often. That said, the Titan would be a titanic waste of my rare and hard earned income.

It's all about priorities, Bro. I have my rifles, I mean I had my rifles before the boat accident, so I'm spending money of GPUs now.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I'm surprised not much has been said about Titan's perf/watt efficiency in this thread. It's pretty damn incredible, putting gk104 and Tahiti to shame.

I brought it up, but the predominant AMD crowd that is this thread no longer cares about perf/w, even though they don't have performance either. Now it's perf/$ that matters and nothing else (not even smoothness).

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Man, nvidia is taking it on the chin over Titan's out of whack price and less than expected performance. On xtremesystems they're even wondering what is up on price. When many of nvidia's usual most passionate supporters are crying foul on them releasing the most overpriced vga of all time, you know they have crapped the bed.

The big question is just how fast and how far is the price of Titanic going to fall, should be interesting to see. Another gtx 280/260 rapid price drop is coming imo.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I brought it up, but the predominant AMD crowd that is this thread no longer cares about perf/w, even though they don't have performance either. Now it's perf/$ that matters and nothing else (not even smoothness).

Regardless of the price, it's an amazing technical achievement. The power draw of Titan is fantastic for it's performance and die size.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Man, nvidia is taking it on the chin over Titan's out of whack price and less than expected performance. On xtremesystems they're even wondering what is up on price. When many of nvidia's usual most passionate supporters are crying foul on them releasing the most overpriced vga of all time, you know they have crapped the bed.

The big question is just how fast and how far is the price of Titanic going to fall, should be interesting to see. Another gtx 280/260 rapid price drop is coming imo.

Could only be good news for us, price sure can't go up (can it?)!

The way I figured it, 100% mark up on mid-range, and 100% mark up on high end.. Seems the latter caused more alarms than the former, I see a lot of proud $500 mid-range users.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Doubt it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
We have a $1000 graphics card that can be almost matched by cards that can be had for half that and you talk about efficiency?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Tom's

Titan = 312 Mhash/s
7970 = 566 Mhash/s
fuckthat.jpg

Well forget that then. Considering the cost, Titan doesn't offer enough over my 7970 for me to upgrade. Hopefully 2013 brings something better, as my 7970 is already the longest held video card I've ever had.