Official PSVita launch thread.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I had been perusing Craigslist earlier this week just to see if anybody was giving some good deals on Vita stuff. Noticed one posting where a guy was selling a BNIB FEB plus still sealed ModNation Racers game for $350. Fast forward to this morning when I see a second posting for the same thing for $320. The phone numbers matched up, so I know this guy is looking to get rid of this thing. I offered him $300 cash and would pick it up today, and he took it.

Canceled my WiFi preorder from Amazon, which would've cost me $265 after tax, so an extra $35 was a no-brainer.

Loving this thing so far. Just waiting on the game deals in the coming week to pick up a few. I've now got Lumines and Little Deviants. I still have ModNation sealed, not sure if I'm going to keep it or try to sell it.

His wife must have found out how much he paid for it. :sneaky:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Hold down the power button for about 20 seconds until it reboots.

That did it. I didn't realize that there are different lengths of time it may require for a reboot. Like I said, it's the only time I've had issue. We driven about 1000 miles this weekend and it's been on 20 different WiFi networks and have played over 20 hours. I'm just amazed at how good the screen is and how well the product has been put together. There are things that can be improved, but fortunately this devices can be patched and updated.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I've now got Lumines

How are you liking it so far? I saw that it got a 9.0 on IGN, which leaves me with some hope. Lumines II wasn't bad, but I will never forgive them for putting that awful Gwen Stefani song in the game! :| I can't remember which Endless Mode it was (I think A), but I made sure to beat that mode, and never play it again.

Oct 19, 2000
How are you liking it so far? I saw that it got a 9.0 on IGN, which leaves me with some hope. Lumines II wasn't bad, but I will never forgive them for putting that awful Gwen Stefani song in the game! :| I can't remember which Endless Mode it was (I think A), but I made sure to beat that mode, and never play it again.

This is my first Lumines game and I bought it solely based on reviews, so I'm not sure my opinion will matter much. I've only played one game so far, too, so I haven't put really any time into yet. My initial impressions are unfavorable, but that's because I wasn't quite sure what was going on and what strategies to take. I only played the one game, whatever the default mode is, and even then I played for about 5 minutes and then forced the game over so I could play something else.

I'll pick it back up sometime today and put some quality time into it.

Oct 19, 2000
Went to check out Target this morning due to their B2G1 sale on Vita titles. They're refusing to put them out until the 22nd, though, so no score there. I did head over to Best Buy and returned the case and screen protectors I had already bought. I bought the case before getting the FEB, so I didn't need it anymore. And given the case that comes with the FEB is hard, I decided not to apply the screen protectors either.

I also decided to trade in FIFA12 that I had bought on black Friday for $25. Best Buy has the deal this week that you get an extra 40% on trade-ins towards Vita games, so I decided to trade it in and get the FIFA game on the Vita. With the bonus, they gave me $28. With the returns, I also picked up Marvel vs Capcom. I think my buying spree is over for now, but I feel like I've gotten great deals on everything.

My birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I had gotten a $50 BB gift card and $20 cash. Considering that free money, my launch haul is as follows:

First Edition Bundle - case and Little Deviants game
ModNation Racers
Lumines
FIFA Soccer
Marvel vs Capcom 3
8GB memory card
Super Stardust Delta + DLC

Altogether, I paid right around $375 total out of pocket. I decided not to bother with the AT&T DataConnect bullshit. I have absolutely no need for the 3G and wanted SSD now instead of waiting 30 days, so I spent the $15 on the game and not the data plan.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
He actually won it from the Taco Bell promotion. He said he considered opening it but wanted a tablet more so he decided to sell.

Lucky SOB. :thumbsup:

You got a good haul for $375. The bundles up on eBay are already selling for that much, most just for the system alone.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My initial impressions are unfavorable, but that's because I wasn't quite sure what was going on and what strategies to take. I only played the one game, whatever the default mode is, and even then I played for about 5 minutes and then forced the game over so I could play something else.

Well, I'm not too sure what mode you were playing, but the general idea of Lumines is to get as many combos as possible during each sweep of the line (it will have a counter as it goes across). Combos are made by getting 4 of the same color in a square, and you can build off of the initial combo as well. Building off of the combo works by placing more of the same color around the original 4. If the newly added same colored blocks creates another square internally, those blocks will also be removed and count toward your total.

In this awkward looking rendition, you have 6 points from the 'A' block color (there are always two colors/designs at once):

Code:
__BB__
__AA__
__AA__
__AA__
This block placed creates a square using two of the other previously dropped 'A' blocks, and now you've got 8 points:

Code:
__BB__
__AA__
BAAA__
BAAA__
A single 'A' block was added and that gave another point, because it combined with three other 'A' blocks that were added to form a square:

Code:
BBBB__
BAAA__
BAAA__
BAAA__
After so many points gained during one "theme" or "level", you'll transition to a new theme, which will change the background, block design, music, line speed and block fall speed. Some of the hardest themes can be with a fast block fall speed and a slow line speed. You can get crazy combos, but if your screen is already really full... it can be quite disastrous.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I downloaded the Lumines demo, played it for 10 minutes and lost interest. Its kinda like tetris, and the BGM was annoying. The colors and animation were distracting me from seeing what blocks were appearing. I deleted the demo and also removed it from Gamefly Q.

On the other hand, I was pretty impressed with the rayman demo. The demo lets you play as long as you dont stop. It wont save your progress, so you have to start over if you restart the game.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I have big hands and the PSP always seemed a little cramped. How does the Vita feel compared to the PSP? I have an old PSP and FYE is offering $75 trade in towards a vita, I'm seriously considering this.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have big hands and the PSP always seemed a little cramped. How does the Vita feel compared to the PSP? I have an old PSP and FYE is offering $75 trade in towards a vita, I'm seriously considering this.

I wonder if you might be able to get more by selling it if it's a fat one since they can be easily modded.

I usually consider my hands to be fairly large. To give you an idea, I measured from my wrist to the end of my middle finger, and that's 8.5". When I tried out the Vita in Gamestop, it seemed to fit fine. My finger tips seemed to naturally gravitate to the little ridges on the back that they are supposed to go in.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I wonder if you might be able to get more by selling it if it's a fat one since they can be easily modded.

I usually consider my hands to be fairly large. To give you an idea, I measured from my wrist to the end of my middle finger, and that's 8.5". When I tried out the Vita in Gamestop, it seemed to fit fine. My finger tips seemed to naturally gravitate to the little ridges on the back that they are supposed to go in.

It's actually one of the Metal Gear Solid PSP's, not sure if that'd be worth extra to some collector. Although, it makes me kinda want to keep it.

Oct 19, 2000
Well, I'm not too sure what mode you were playing, but the general idea of Lumines is to get as many combos as possible during each sweep of the line (it will have a counter as it goes across). Combos are made by getting 4 of the same color in a square, and you can build off of the initial combo as well. Building off of the combo works by placing more of the same color around the original 4. If the newly added same colored blocks creates another square internally, those blocks will also be removed and count toward your total.

In this awkward looking rendition...

Ahhh, gotcha. That makes sense given what I was seeing while playing the one match yesterday.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
Just got back from TRU. Picked up Rayman and FIFA plus $20 GC. FIFA multiplayer is so good, I never expected it would be as good as the PS3. Played a couple of games with folks from Europe and the latency was pretty good, no lag or disconnects.

snickersnack

Feb 14, 2012

Slims like the 3000 are now easily modded. No mms or pandora required. :)

I believe a fat is recoverable from a bricking though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Went to check out Target this morning due to their B2G1 sale on Vita titles. They're refusing to put them out until the 22nd, though, so no score there.

Ahh I might have to get up early to snag me some games from Target. I'm thinking about Rayman, Shinobido and Uncharted.

I'm kind of iffy on Rayman, because while it could be a good game, it always bugs me if I pay more for a game on a mobile console than I do on the normal set-top consoles (PS3, 360). I'm not too sure about Shinobido either. I'd really love to see a new Shinobi game that's like the PS2 one (that game was awesome), but my only hope there is playing Ninja Gaiden (on the Vita) for the third time. :p

Slims like the 3000 are now easily modded. No mms or pandora required. :)

I believe a fat is recoverable from a bricking though.

Well, that's good to hear at least!

Oh, and welcome!

Ahhh, gotcha. That makes sense given what I was seeing while playing the one match yesterday.

Yeah, it's a fun game, but if you don't really dig puzzle games much, you probably won't get that into it. Probably 75% of the games that I play on my phone are puzzle games, so I guess it makes sense. :p

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000

I have big hands and had the same problem with the PSP. I played Uncharted: GA on the Vita yesterday for like 3 hours and it never bothered me once, the only reason I stopped was to run some errands. I think it's definitely a huge improvement in that respect.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I've been reading a bunch on the Vita today and it's testing my willpower. Uncharted and MvC3 look awesome.

They do look awesome. The major drawback is that some games are $49.99 which for a portable is high to me and the memory prices are outrageous. I understand their stance on the new memory but the pricing is absurd.

Sooooooooo tempting.

Nemesis13

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2006
Got mine last week, love it so far. I purchased marvel vs capcom, and damn does it look good. Online play with it has been flawless so far although im terrible at fighting games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They do look awesome. The major drawback is that some games are $49.99 which for a portable is high to me and the memory prices are outrageous. I understand their stance on the new memory but the pricing is absurd.

Sooooooooo tempting.

You get an 8GB card for free with the 3G Launch Bundle. Unless you start downloading games, you probably will not fill that card up. Even with one or two downloaded games, you should still be fine with it depending on the games. For example, I think I read that Uncharted is pretty big, but some of the cheaper, PSN games should be smaller.

I was originally going to buy the 32GB card, but I just cancelled it after Sony added the free 8GB card. Do note that the free 8GB card will only last until the launch bundles dry up!

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000

Sooooooooo tempting.

Only Uncharted is $50, and honestly, if there's an argument for Uncharted games on the PS3 being worth $60, I think Golden Abyss is definitely worth $50. I'm around 4-5 hours in, and for all intent, it's apparent that a lot of work went into it, along with pretty quality voice acting.

Vita memory pricing is stupid, I agree, but I dunno that it's any stupider than hard drive pricing was on the 360 when it came out or the price gouging they do on iPhones/iPads for larger more memory or 3G capability. Early adopters will buy into it, which is what Sony is betting on, while people not willing to spend the money will wait for market adjustments to kick in based on sales numbers.

I have the 4GB memory card that came with my FEB Vita, and I plan to buy most of my games in physical form if at all possible, so I'm in no hurry to buy a bigger memory card at this point.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Memory pricing is a complete rip-off. /facepalm

Micro-SD, and Sony could still sell their own 'branded' memory that folks would gladly pay 3-4x the normal amount for.

terry.dang.rn

Jan 16, 2011
I am excited to come-back to gaming after a 5 year hiatus. Is the best price-value right now the 299 3g/wifi bundle with 8 gb card from gamestop?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I am excited to come-back to gaming after a 5 year hiatus. Is the best price-value right now the 299 3g/wifi bundle with 8 gb card from gamestop?

That is probably the best deal, but you don't have to get it at Gamestop. Amazon might be a good alternative and you don't have to pay sales tax up front unless you are in select states.

terry.dang.rn

Jan 16, 2011
That is probably the best deal, but you don't have to get it at Gamestop. Amazon might be a good alternative and you don't have to pay sales tax up front unless you are in select states.

thanks, kent, for the reply and the suggestion. You are correct about the amazon and the tax thing..:)