Official PSVita launch thread.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The launch of this is really odd to me. Got two games and the cradle yesterday, the power adapter today and hopefully the system will arrive tomorrow.

Did you just purchase a separate power adapter or is there another adapter that I should consider buying? All I got is the 3G launch bundle, the case and Lumines.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Well, AT&T has been talking about creating a shared data plan, which would be helpful for people with multiple devices (smartphone, tablet, Vita) as they would only pay once for all devices to use the same allotment.

couldnt i just as easily sign up for and share my cell phones data through wifi? im on sprint btw, so it would be 10 bucks i believe to add wifi hotspot to my plan. granted that puts a strain on my cell's battery but at the same time its cheaper and unlimited data. plus i'd save 50 bucks for not having to get the 3g vita, i guess you could call it 5 free months, and i'd also be able to tether other wifi devices.

and as for super stardust you can just buy it for 10 bucks?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
couldnt i just as easily sign up for and share my cell phones data through wifi? im on sprint btw, so it would be 10 bucks i believe to add wifi hotspot to my plan. granted that puts a strain on my cell's battery but at the same time its cheaper and unlimited data. plus i'd save 50 bucks for not having to get the 3g vita, i guess you could call it 5 free months, and i'd also be able to tether other wifi devices.

and as for super stardust you can just buy it for 10 bucks?

Sure, you can do it that way too.

It might actually provide some distinct advantages too. I don't think the Vita allows you to play games over 3G (not 100% sure), but I do believe you are allowed to play over WiFi. If you have a phone using a LTE connection (LTE has far better ping speeds than 3G), using a wireless hotspot should easily trick the Vita into letting you play anywhere. This would technically work on any phone connection, but 3G might be too laggy. Although, I normally see around 150ms when I test using SpeedTest on my phone (HSPA+). LTE normally gets around 50ms ping.

Super StarDust Delta is only $10, but I believe the extra $5 of Sony's promised $15 game is for the SSDD DLC that they are offering with it.

EDIT:

In addition, if your phone does provide a faster connection, it might help using that "Remote Play" feature without WiFi. I'm not sure if it's the right name, but Remote Play lets you essentially stream your PS3 to your Vita and play a game on it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Did you just purchase a separate power adapter or is there another adapter that I should consider buying? All I got is the 3G launch bundle, the case and Lumines.

It's probably the same one. All it appears to be is a standard USB charger so probably the one that comes with an Android phone would work. I just wanted to have one that could travel while the other stays at home plugged into the dock.

Oct 19, 2000

All Vitas come with an AC wall adapter and a separate USB cable with a proprietary Vita port on one end. Basically everything you need to charge the unit from a wall socket or a USB port on your computer. All-in-all, the exact same setup that I've seen with all modern smartphones and tablets.

For those wanting the dock, it does NOT come with the cables, just the dock itself. It's assumed you will use the cables that come with the Vita to use the dock.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
Heads up Target is doing a B2G1 on vita games starting this sunday. Hopefully other stores match the offer.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
From the reviews, definitely get a screen protector. Giantbomb said in their quick look that they haven't had scratches on a bare screen yet, but they are being very careful with their review sample. It is plastic though, so I wouldn't play it much at all until I had it wrapped.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Amazon is giving out a screen protector with Vita pre-orders. Although, from what I read, it's actually a code for $4.99 to buy them, so we shouldn't expect them in the package.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Neither. It's plastic.

For $250 big ones, it should be glass. It's not a deal breaker for me but it really polishes it off. The PSP's screen would get scratched up pretty quickly unless you got a case or screen protector for it.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
Wife just called to let me know, the package has arrived!!! No work is going to get done now...lol

Oct 19, 2000
I'll probably pick up a couple of screen protectors but if I mess up their application, I'm not buying more, I'll just take my chances. I don't like the way screen protectors look anyway, I'm not fond of having them on anything.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
It looks like an amazing device hardware-wise, but the software just isn't compelling enough for me at this point. Uncharted seems like the best of the bunch out of the launch lineup, with a few other games like Wipeout, and Army Corps of Hell looking interesting, but not interesting enough to sell me a system.

There are a few things I think Sony could do to make this system really successful.

1) Find the sweet spot between the smartphone/tablet market. I think to do this they need to have a really sweet library of downloadable games in the $5-15 price range. Something that really outshines the phone market, but isn't quite expansive as the console market. Games like Fat Princess, Dungeon Defenders, Shank, Deathspank, Trenched, Shadow Complex, etc would excel on a handheld.

2) Drop the price on the memory cards and software. $100 for 32GB is just too much, especially for an accessory which will pretty much be needed for this device. And some of the software is just way overpriced. I would never pay >$40 for a mobile game regardless quality. $40 should be the absolute maximum, with most titles being priced around $25-$30. Look at games like DH Alliance, and Asphalt. Games which are basically slightly upgraded versions of their iOS counterparts, yet cost 10x as much.

3) Make the Vita version of a game available at a discount for those who already own it on the PS3. The cross play functionality of the Vita is one of the coolest features it has, but there is no way I am paying $60 for a new console game, and then paying an extra $40 for the handheld version. I'm not sure exactly how they could handle this, but I'm sure it could be done.

Oct 19, 2000
1) Find the sweet spot between the smartphone/tablet market. I think to do this they need to have a really sweet library of downloadable games in the $5-15 price range. Something that really outshines the phone market, but isn't quite expansive as the console market. Games like Fat Princess, Dungeon Defenders, Shank, Deathspank, Trenched, Shadow Complex, etc would excel on a handheld.

There are hundreds of PSP games already for sale that you can play on the Vita that are cheap. That's already taken care of.

2) Drop the price on the memory cards and software. $100 for 32GB is just too much, especially for an accessory which will pretty much be needed for this device.

That's not bad when you consider the devices you're trying to compare the Vita against. Brand new smartphones are $600+ for 16GB/32GB of memory. Most people I've seen keep trying to compare the Vita to smartphones and tablets, but forget exactly how much un-subsidized hardware costs. In addition to that, it's easy to induce shock value when you go straight with the most expensive memory card and opt not to mention a perfectly usable 4GB card for $20.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I don't really count the PSP games because they're already available for the PSP, so no need for a new system.

I also don't see the price of a new smart phone as too valid, since those prices are extremely inflated to begin with. You can get a brand new iPad2 or Laptop for <$600, but an iPhone is $800 unsubsidized? That tells me they are inflating the prices of phones in order to lock people into contracts.

Just my 2 cents.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I tried it out at Gamestop, and I kind of got frustrated. What the hell is up with developers to think that I want to use the god damn touch controls for everything when there are normal controls right there! I tried a Little Deviants and Uncharted demo and both of them refused to let me use the controls for any menu selections. Man, that really irked me.

Oct 19, 2000
Is it true that psone classics won't work on the vita?

They do not work currently unless you use remote play through your PS3. I think there was a quote in a Sony blog somewhere that stated PSOne games weren't playable "yet", sounding like they were going to add it.

I also don't see the price of a new smart phone as too valid, since those prices are extremely inflated to begin with. You can get a brand new iPad2 or Laptop for <$600, but an iPhone is $800 unsubsidized? That tells me they are inflating the prices of phones in order to lock people into contracts.

You're preaching to the choir on that one, I agree with you that the un-subsidized prices are ridiculous and are a fault of the system. But I still like comparing apples to apples. A subsidized 32GB smartphone still costs around $300 and you have to sign up for wireless service for 2 years.

I think you see what I'm trying to get at. I also think $100 for a 32GB memory card is too much, but smartphones follow the same pricing structure. It's almost always a $100 premium to upgrade from a 16GB to a 32GB phone, even though nothing else in the phone's package changes. It seems to me that Sony is simply following the market somewhat.

I tried it out at Gamestop, and I kind of got frustrated. What the hell is up with developers to think that I want to use the god damn touch controls for everything when there are normal controls right there! I tried a Little Deviants and Uncharted demo and both of them refused to let me use the controls for any menu selections. Man, that really irked me.

From what I understand, those are probably the two worst offenders if you hate touch control games. :D

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

That is one of my main frustrations. The menus should be controlled by both methods and not limited to touch. In Uncharted for example, the menus would be easy thumbstick or arrow controlled, but you have to scroll left and right with your thumb. Now, Hot Shots of Golf seems to be straight button navigation and doesn't use touch.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You're preaching to the choir on that one, I agree with you that the un-subsidized prices are ridiculous and are a fault of the system. But I still like comparing apples to apples. A subsidized 32GB smartphone still costs around $300 and you have to sign up for wireless service for 2 years.

I think you see what I'm trying to get at. I also think $100 for a 32GB memory card is too much, but smartphones follow the same pricing structure. It's almost always a $100 premium to upgrade from a 16GB to a 32GB phone, even though nothing else in the phone's package changes. It seems to me that Sony is simply following the market somewhat.

Comparing the Vita to a cell phone is Apples to Apples ?? How are the calls on the Vita ? Does the gps lock on reliably ? What smartphones have plastic screens ?

Don't most cell phones have micro sd card slots ? 16 gb micro sd cards don't cost $100.

The iphone comes with plenty of memory. They may charge a lot for a 32 gb version, but it's not really needed..and Sony can't get away with what Apple can, they need to be realistic.

At current prices, Sony may never sell a million Vitas in Japan, let alone the rest of the world.

In the meantime, there's 16 million or so 3DS owners already and it's selling like hotcakes.

To have ANY chance, the Vita cannot cost more than the 3DS, or ipod Touch.