Official promises Trump has walked back thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It's just weird, isn't it?

Not really. We are living in a social media world where people get their news from memes and fake news websites, where the more likes and retweets a post gets the more real/accurate it becomes. People have simply become disconnected from reality and knowing or looking up some pretty basic shit is simply not going to happen anymore.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Nah. Many of them are simply gullible and misinformed. Some, I assume, are good people.
I live in a primarily Republican area of FL and these people are tickled to death over the anti-Muslim rhetoric and pro gun talk coming from their future leader. Never mind his sorted history and self centric tendencies that will sacrifice those around him as long as it benefits him. I've tried reasoning with these people and their confirmation biases are so strong that it's virtually impossible to get through to them. I tried to explain to some union members what they were doing but church tells them to vote Republican so they do so faithfully as they feel like God wants them to do it. They cannot reason for themselves are they are under the spell of religious classical conditioning which turns normal people into right wing fanatics and that my friends is scary. Hitler polarized the good people of German in a few short years and look how that turned out. These people spew hate in the name of God and I cannot stand them for it.

Reactions: Perknose

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I live in a primarily Republican area of FL and these people are tickled to death over the anti-Muslim rhetoric and pro gun talk coming from their future leader. Never mind his sorted history and self centric tendencies that will sacrifice those around him as long as it benefits him. I've tried reasoning with these people and their confirmation biases are so strong that it's virtually impossible to get through to them. I tried to explain to some union members what they were doing but church tells them to vote Republican so they do so faithfully as they feel like God wants them to do it. They cannot reason for themselves are they are under the spell of religious classical conditioning which turns normal people into right wing fanatics and that my friends is scary. Hitler polarized the good people of German in a few short years and look how that turned out. These people spew hate in the name of God and I cannot stand them for it.

Yep that is my Dad to a tee. He questions your salvation if you don't vote Republican. In many respects he is a good person and he made it very clear how much he loved us growing up. His thinking is broken though and he has been binary his entire life. It was a rude awakening for him when two of his sons married Catholics. He still doesn't like Catholics but no longer insists that all Catholics are going to Hell. The problem is that you can't discuss these things logically with him because his worldview is not based on logic and he simply doesn't understand how logic works.

For example, when Scott Walker broke the school unions, it cost me and my wife over $10k/yr in benefit cuts. My Dad insisted that it was great thing that Walker did. I asked him why it was great that my highly educated wife who hold's a master's degree makes 70% of what I do. No counter, just more angry assertions that it was a great thing.

Note: this is not to infer that teacher pay has anything to do with the failing state of America's education system. I put that on the parents/kids and American culture. My son is doing very poorly in school and it hasn't a damn thing to do with the teachers. He has got it into his mind that it is cool to be stupid.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I stand for Glass Steagal.
There are indications Trump would restore it. No one really knows.

What intrigued me was the stock market shooting up with Carl Icahn jumping in after the election. This just screams that Trump is going to create a bubble in the market and all the bankers are jumping in now in preparation for the pillage. I got about half my assets out of the market in the mid 17s so I have lost about 40K or more in market capitalization. That stings. Every market move I ever made has cost me. I am really confused right now....

Dec 10, 2005
What intrigued me was the stock market shooting up with Carl Icahn jumping in after the election. This just screams that Trump is going to create a bubble in the market and all the bankers are jumping in now in preparation for the pillage. I got about half my assets out of the market in the mid 17s so I have lost about 40K or more in market capitalization. That stings. Every market move I ever made has cost me. I am really confused right now....
Slow and steady investing in index funds and avoid jumping at every market blip would be a good start.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Oy, this is going to be a long list.

Of course, given how he governed, is anyone really going to be surprised if he doesn't finish his 1st term without some sort of scandal or impeachment? Dude is still completely off the rails, who knows what he'll do.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
For example, when Scott Walker broke the school unions, it cost me and my wife over $10k/yr in benefit cuts. My Dad insisted that it was great thing that Walker did.
I did a research paper for my employment law class on unions and a portion of it was dedicated to what he did with his Act 10 which flies in the face of the NLRA. I realize that private sector is under different laws than public sector but the spirit of the law suggests that employees who've agreed to a particular labor contract should be entitled to the negotiated items during the length of it. What Walker did was spit in the face of working people in the public sector and it serves as a template for future governors to follow. I feel for people like yourself who have personally suffered from these types of actions.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Poor Donald. He has a very big problem. He actually won. And there is no way he can possibly deliver on all those promises he made.

Hey check it out guys, we have the reincarnation of Nostradamus over here!
Wow, so many questions. So how am I going to die Mr. future telling man? is it cancer? I hope it's not cancer.....it's cancer isn't it?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37953528

All you have to do to win elections is to spout blatant lies that appeal to greed and right-wing extremists. They'll be mad once they discover those were lies, but by then it's too late. And the next elections all you need to do is rinse and repeat as their memory isn't good enough to remember the previous elections.

Brexit also passed because of all the promises that were made regarding all the money that it would free. They didn't even wait a day after winning before mentioning that those claims were BS and that they had lied about it.

The right-wing party that won the elections in the Netherlands years ago did so by claiming they'd give working people each a thousand euros tax-free in the first year. Of course they never did, and blamed it on the economy

The right to vote should require an IQ test..

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

All you have to do to win elections is to spout blatant lies that appeal to greed and right-wing extremists. They'll be mad once they discover those were lies, but by then it's too late. And the next elections all you need to do is rinse and repeat as their memory isn't good enough to remember the previous elections.

Brexit also passed because of all the promises that were made regarding all the money that it would free. They didn't even wait a day after winning before mentioning that those claims were BS and that they had lied about it.

The right-wing party that won the elections in the Netherlands years ago did so by claiming they'd give working people each a thousand euros tax-free in the first year. Of course they never did, and blamed it on the economy

Actually they don't get all that mad at the lies, I suspect because they mostly knew it was lies in the first place. But they were fine with that because it was lies they were themselves telling to "win".

Psychologically speaking the "victory" is what's important to them instead, like their side in a football match/game. Might not mean much, not like they're even playing, but their guys really gotta win.

It that doesn't sound convincing, consider they're willing to toss everything jesus tells them just to win. Literally going to hell instead of heaven is less important than handing it to a degenerate and sticking it to libtards. They're that committed--there's a massive kernel of truth to the claim that trump can shoot/rape someone on the street and not lose these followers.

The good news is that he isn't after the jews or even mexicans, he just cares about amassing money for himself/family/minions. Bush's handlers funneled something like a trillion through a war, so we'll have to see how much trump can grab with his grubby tiny hands.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The good news is that he isn't after the jews or even mexicans, he just cares about amassing money for himself/family/minions. Bush's handlers funneled something like a trillion through a war, so we'll have to see how much trump can grab with his grubby tiny hands.
I don't think money is his goal. He's always had it, what he probably didn't get enough of, and now cannot stop chasing, is attention.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I don't think money is his goal. He's always had it, what he probably didn't get enough of, and now cannot stop chasing, is attention.

Someone who'll screw little people out of money that's inconsequential to him but not to them can never get enough of it. I think even his fans have trouble understanding his, hence "he can't be bought" even though that's sort first in line to negotiate sale of principles.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011

There goes the black and hispanic vote, lefties wouldn't win again ever.

More racist remarks from you?

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator: