Official "Prey" (2017) Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
On the fence.. just got burned by dishonered 2.. few hours in and deleted the game.. bf1 too.. took rifle damage through smoke where is had no visual the other way.. bug. I liked doom.. and skyfall and cod iw campaigns... So could some1 riddle me this, is this game for me? (liked the first prey too..).

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
On the fence.. just got burned by dishonered 2.. few hours in and deleted the game.. bf1 too.. took rifle damage through smoke where is had no visual the other way.. bug. I liked doom.. and skyfall and cod iw campaigns... So could some1 riddle me this, is this game for me? (liked the first prey too..).

This is not a run and gun shooting game like doom or cod. It is well polished and I have not experienced any bugs yet. If you have played System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1 and liked those you'll like this.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Prey, like Dishonored, is much more rewarding if you take your time and explore your surroundings and options. I don't mind back tracking if it's rewarding and somewhat unscripted. Arkane did a great job with this.

I am around 15 hours in with Prey and I already have no qualms about paying the full price. I also got the Margrave for preordering and it's been my best friend for Phantoms.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
How is the length and the difficulty (is enemy stupid?)?

Not sure on the length yet, though with as much exploration etc in the game and where I'm at currently I can easily see 40+ hours for a decent playthrough. The AI is actually quite good in this game.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For those pretty far into the game, what neuromod skills have you found the most useful?

I've kinda been stockpiling neuromods because I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. Leaning toward a focus on guns and standard combat, but I'm not sure now that some of the Typhon skills are available. Has anyone had any success with a stealth build?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
guns, hacking and repair have been very useful. i think the only typhon ones I have are robot control, remote hack, and the energy burst that the phantoms use.

you're likely to run into some issues with a standard combat or "security" build without weapon upgrades but stealth is totally possible as a second measure. I plan to play through on hard next time so I might try a heavier emphasis on stealth.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm only 5 hours in, but I'm really enjoying this game. You can make a lot of comparisons between other games, but it really is a "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2, which I think was the intent. Prey would have been better named "Phantom Shock" or something else with Shock (if they can legally) in the title rather than use Prey just to use the name.

I'm putting most of my neuromods into stealth now - using headphones/IEMs I can hear the buzzing of mimics entering a room and sneak up and kill them - though I've put some into leverage and repair. I carry around turrets like they are companion cubes - they are my new best friends. :D

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
without being able to fortify turrets they are pretty useless... phantoms completely trash them. of course they shoot at me now too unless i hack them first. anyone else get chased around by that nightmare thing?? is that a random even or something half-scripted? chased me around the lobby for what seemed like forever.

haven't played in a few days but I'll certainly play to the end at least twice

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Game is pretty frickin awesome I must say. Most FPS I just wanna do the story and thats it. I find myself reading logs and getting lost exploring because I wanna see whats over there.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
PC Gamer gave it a 79. Stapleton used to work for PC Gamer. Sounds like he must be one of the unlucky people to run into that bug. I remember playing Prince of Persia Warrior Within on PS2 and reading about a game breaking bug. I was so afraid that I would be 30 hours in and it would hit....and of course back then there was no way to patch it.

Stapleton gave Arkham Knight a 9.2 I guess he didn't play it on PC, and he is a PC guy. I guess it is just bad luck for Bethesda and Stapleton that he played the PC version of Prey and hit a bug which doesn't seem to be ubiquitous.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
how much did activision pay IGN to rate the game so low? it's an easy 8. don't understand why some are complaining about a grind. it's called exploring... and not sprinting all the way from A to B.

PC version started crashing on me last night, but after enabling the public beta patch. performance seemed slightly better, too.

Last edited:

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Gamesradar gave it a 4.5 out of 5. They were saying it was GOTY material before they even got a hold of the game. That also seems suspicious.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
to reiterate what MB said... go on steam for actual reviews. gamers' opinions carry more weight than game "journalists" who get paid regardless.

i think PC gamer nailed it though, 7.9 is right around where i'd score it. not revolutionary, but certainly not a 4 either that's idiotic.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
IGN and GS give every call of duty an 8 or 9 and that's basically the same game every year so... yea

no GiantBomb review yet, think they got some staff changes tho

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It's good. Not regretting the purchase. I still have Dishonored 2 sitting around hardly played into. This is much better.

Reactions: SKORPI0

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I also prefer Prey much to Dishonored 2. I just couldn't get into Dishonored 2 despite completing the first one and all DLC. I bought Prey without any expectation and have been enjoying the Sci Fi romp.
I encountered Nightmare twice. First time was in Arboreum after I added an extra Neuromod that made the turrets turn hostile. I didn't like hostile turrets and reverted to a previous save where I am not using Mimic mods.
However, when I came back to Arboreum after habitat the Nightmare was there, and I was able to defeat it. It also appeared in the Powerplant and I killed it. I am assuming that it's a class of creatures and not the same creature.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Prey, like Dishonored, is much more rewarding if you take your time and explore your surroundings and options. I don't mind back tracking if it's rewarding and somewhat unscripted. Arkane did a great job with this.

I am around 15 hours in with Prey and I already have no qualms about paying the full price. I also got the Margrave for preordering and it's been my best friend for Phantoms.

So .. this is Dishonered 1½ or whatever. Another game I am not going to finish I guess, what a letdown. Enemies that teleports damage to your face, nothing you can do about that. Even on easy you will get stomped by the big black - things of no concept or texture.

This just dropped as the final nails in the coffin for me
1. reach keypoint in objective and its respawn galore on the whole map. before take keycard, all is cool, take keycard 100 mobs blinks into existence. Its 1988 again. Retro level design 101.
2. said mobs.. even on easy just stomps me again and again, no fighting no stealthing is working .. So i decide to run for it, just blazing through the map and forget any potential side ops ... Works! Its just not fun, but it works.
3. I can hear mobs behind walls in arease I am not even close to uncover yet MUCH louder than the actual mobs in this room.
4. space. Why do I deaccellerate when I stop punching the throttle? Drag from the quantum vacuum?
5. Meh.
6. Mobs takes lots of bullets even to the face.. which turns it into a scavanging game ... grinding. Yea no thanks.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Getting shot through smoke in BF1 is not a bug. Smoke does not magically stop bullets.

Prey is better than I expected though.