Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So apparently there are real problems with the liquid metal breaking the seal and leaking when you keep your PS5 standing vertically. Ugh this system is so huge I hate the idea of using it horizontally.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So apparently there are real problems with the liquid metal breaking the seal and leaking when you keep your PS5 standing vertically. Ugh this system is so huge I hate the idea of using it horizontally.
I've been using mine horizontally since I got it. It's the only way it will fit on my TV stand.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I've been using mine horizontally since I got it. It's the only way it will fit on my TV stand.

I have been using mine vertically since getting it in March 2021 since otherwise it would take up a huge portion of my desk haha.

Jul 27, 2020
Link? How long does it take for that to happen? I'm guessing it is more prevalent on PS5s that aren't getting enough airflow and the liquid metal is getting too hot?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Link? How long does it take for that to happen? I'm guessing it is more prevalent on PS5s that aren't getting enough airflow and the liquid metal is getting too hot?

PlayStation 5 Design Flaw Might Kill the Console by Using it Vertically (wccftech.com)

Not sure why overheating would matter. Liquid metal is always liquid regardless of temp. This is most likely just manufacturing defects to some units. Possibly the seal wasn't installed properly or was defective. I wouldn't be too worried unless it becomes more widespread. That said, using liquid metal was a really dumb decision IMO. Way too many things can go wrong.

• Wow

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
PlayStation 5 Design Flaw Might Kill the Console by Using it Vertically (wccftech.com)

Not sure why overheating would matter. Liquid metal is always liquid regardless of temp. This is most likely just manufacturing defects to some units. Possibly the seal wasn't installed properly or was defective. I wouldn't be too worried unless it becomes more widespread. That said, using liquid metal was a really dumb decision IMO. Way too many things can go wrong.

Had to turn mine on its side due to a 55in to 77in TV upgrade. This stand is a bit pricey for a piece of plastic, but it's the best one I've found for horizontal placement.

PS5 Stand - https://www.amazon.com/NexiGo-Accessories-Horizontal-Minimalist-Playstation/dp/B09FF2L7RV?th=1

20230121_77in Upgrade.jpg

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My only gripe with the PS5 is the flimsy controller. My first controller had horrible drift and I bought one of the newer controllers but this weekend I decided to take the first controller apart (killed the mic ribbon but I dont care) and I removed most of the parts and the battery and sprayed some 99% isopropyl alcohol directly into the gimble as it doesnt come apart without removing the solder, and its working great. Pretty much started drifting 2 months in but I was so used to the drift I learned to compensate. Finished elden ring several time with it.

I want to get the Pro controller but 200 bucks is a lot right now. I own the Elite 2 MS controller and love it but that was even more.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The thing is the pro controller doesn't even have better battery life. I remember both my dual sense controllers were doing great initially until some updates came out and battery life didn't do too well after that. I constantly rotate the two between charges.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The thing is the pro controller doesn't even have better battery life. I remember both my dual sense controllers were doing great initially until some updates came out and battery life didn't do too well after that. I constantly rotate the two between charges.
Yep. I mostly play with the controller plugged in with a USB C cable as I do most if not all my gaming from my bed onto a 75" lcd and my phone charging cables are always there any way. The battery could easily be swapped out but i just don't trust batteries to begin with. I got rid of an electric scooter last year because I felt like it was a ticking timebomb. With all the phone and crap I have in my apt everyday is a concern.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just canceled my PSVR2 preorder from Sony Direct.

Not necessarily because I won't get it, but because they will be readily available based on the recent news and I'd rather get it locally at BB or something than have it shipped.

I may hold off a few months though to see if the price drops.

I really only have interest in Moss 2 and RE8, but I'm not dying to play either of them. I've already played RE8 non-VR and I could have played Moss 2 already on PSVR if I REALLY wanted to play it, but I was holding off for better experience on PSVR2.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
What a trash controller the DualSense is. Was wondering why aiming my axe at Odin's ravens was such a pain in Ragnarok, plugged the controller to test on my PC and see it has ugly stick drift on the right thumbstick after pretty light use for two years. $70 for another of these crap controllers, f*** me.

• Wow

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
What a trash controller the DualSense is. Was wondering why aiming my axe at Odin's ravens was such a pain in Ragnarok, plugged the controller to test on my PC and see it has ugly stick drift on the right thumbstick after pretty light use for two years. $70 for another of these crap controllers, f*** me.

If you have time/patience and want to learn a new skill, it is somewhat easy to replace the thumbstick modules (though you won't really save a huge amount of money if you need to buy an iron). I managed to do it with 3 xbox controllers. It was a bit of dud on my first try, but a couple of resolderings got it working OK, it was much easier the 3rd/4th time around once I was a bit more familiar with soldering. Fixing drift in only one direction is a bit easier as you only need to replace one potentiometer (3 solder points) instead of the entire module.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If you have time/patience and want to learn a new skill, it is somewhat easy to replace the thumbstick modules (though you won't really save a huge amount of money if you need to buy an iron). I managed to do it with 3 xbox controllers. It was a bit of dud on my first try, but a couple of resolderings got it working OK, it was much easier the 3rd/4th time around once I was a bit more familiar with soldering. Fixing drift in only one direction is a bit easier as you only need to replace one potentiometer (3 solder points) instead of the entire module.

I ordered one of these kits

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I had severe drift on my left analog. Took it apart to remove the battery then sprayed 91% isopropyl alcohol directly into the potentiometer and moved it rigorously, let dry and put back together. Worked like a charm.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
I have no idea why no one makes a hall effect module for PS5 or Xbox Series, yet. Gulikit has modules for JoyCons and the Steam Deck, but not the PS5 or Xbox!? Hall effect all the things!

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I had severe drift on my left analog. Took it apart to remove the battery then sprayed 91% isopropyl alcohol directly into the potentiometer and moved it rigorously, let dry and put back together. Worked like a charm.
That says it's getting dirty but it has to be internal wear causing a buildup if it's happening so soon (relative to controllers in past generations). The issue seems to be getting more prevalent with more recent consoles. Of all the parts on a controller to try to save a penny or two, they're doing it on the part you'll notice the most.

The console makers could easily offer an app to make the adjustments that kit is providing, but then they wouldn't get the sale of another controller since most people won't bother with a mod or self-repair.

I have no idea why no one makes a hall effect module for PS5 or Xbox Series, yet. Gulikit has modules for JoyCons and the Steam Deck, but not the PS5 or Xbox!? Hall effect all the things!
Hall effect sensors might even be cheaper than high end pots. The console makers could probably use them without notably affecting their bottom line, except they don't seem to be prioritizing hardware lifespan anymore, at least for controllers. That or after the RROD and YLOD they figured people could justify buying a new controller much more easily than a new console, so shifted their cost cutting measures to match. Plus a lawsuit on a wear item like a controller is going to have a bit more trouble than one about a major design flaw in the console itself.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Hall effect sensors might even be cheaper than high end pots. The console makers could probably use them without notably affecting their bottom line, except they don't seem to be prioritizing hardware lifespan anymore, at least for controllers. That or after the RROD and YLOD they figured people could justify buying a new controller much more easily than a new console, so shifted their cost cutting measures to match. Plus a lawsuit on a wear item like a controller is going to have a bit more trouble than one about a major design flaw in the console itself.
While I do care about controller longevity, my #1 reason for wanting hall effect sticks on my PS5 controller (or any controller) is the almost non-existent dead zone in the center. My coworker has a modded steam deck with hall effect sticks and *chef's kiss* they're a joy to use. So much easier to be precise.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

I am pretty sure you would need some serious mods to adapt hall effect sticks for PS/Xbox controllers. There is an extra chip on the steamdeck modules which is the actual sensor part that reads the position of the sticks. You would need to somehow shoehorn that into the data path of controller in the very small space available. I imagine it could be done in a 2 piece way, like the above adjustment plate, just put the chip on a board like that which would attach to the bottom of the circuit board.

AFAICT the sticks used in the new controllers are the same ones used in the PS3/360 controllers. Cheaper to just continue using the same thing they have used for 10+ years.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Only controllers I've ever had drift in are the Switch joycons.

Only problem I have with PS5 controller is the battery life is pretty crappy.