Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Had to know the Ubisoftization of Sony was coming once they lost COD to Microsoft, which threw out their whole strategy of making great single player loss leaders to get you to buy into the platform so you bought yearly releases like COD on Playstation also. Ugh freaking Activision finding new ways to ruin gaming.

There are very few studios anymore that actually seem focused on the actual game and not what extra content they can sell or how they can milk an online component. Gaming is not what it was even just a few years ago. There is too much focus on the wrong things IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
It's coz games have become a sort of industrialized product where you can just put as many workers as your budget allows to churn out said product as quickly as possible and you don't even have to ensure that it delivers what was promised coz you can fix it in incremental updates for the next 6 months to a year all the while selling said product with even more promises and laughing all the way to the bank.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's coz games have become a sort of industrialized product where you can just put as many workers as your budget allows to churn out said product as quickly as possible and you don't even have to ensure that it delivers what was promised coz you can fix it in incremental updates for the next 6 months to a year all the while selling said product with even more promises and laughing all the way to the bank.

I don’t think it’s updates and that stuff that causes it.

More like gaming is closer to other forms of media like movies or TV these days with voice acting and a huge budget. A lot of companies are spending tens of millions on a game and they milk the property for all they can get. Profit over principles. The quality of the title doesn’t matter as much as the marketing of it and how much they can make from it. Selling you a new outfit for your online character and using FOMO against the player is par for the course. It’s “Spaceballs the lunch box” of the modern era. This is all at the expense of the art and the developers who dedicate themselves to building a world or the characters within it. As the demand grows for more and more graphically complex titles with more engaging storylines, so does the cost and with that a higher risk factor of a flop. Still back in 2013 GTA5 made a billion dollars with only a single player component at the time so there is hope that companies see that and believe there is a market for games that don’t have all the current trends of micro transactions and such. Even still, greed is a powerful drug.

Maybe Johnny Silverhand in Cyberpunk 2077 was right in an ironic way. Corporations own you, and they will do anything for profit. Another good analogy is the movie Ready Player One where the original idea for a game is corrupted by greedy corporations and forced advertising and what they can sell the player rather than the focus being on the experience you can offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Sure it does. If their big announcement is remaking a 9 year old game and adding online stuff using the game name and game world then they have nothing else to announce hence it’s obvious to me they are not actively working on anything worth mentioning. If they were, they would have some type of other announcement for hype purposes.
I think you need to reread the comment chain. You said this remake tells you ND isn't making anything. I called that asinine. You then complained about companies milking games and implied I like it, which is completely irrelevant.

Doing a remake allows them to keep people employed that otherwise wouldn't. It also doesn't stop them from working on their next big thing, whatever that may be. Saying otherwise is and will continue to be asinine.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think you need to reread the comment chain. You said this remake tells you ND isn't making anything. I called that asinine. You then complained about companies milking games and implied I like it, which is completely irrelevant.

Doing a remake allows them to keep people employed that otherwise wouldn't. It also doesn't stop them from working on their next big thing, whatever that may be. Saying otherwise is and will continue to be asinine.

If your announcement is a remake and more stuff reusing a 9 year old property then you aren’t announcing anything new right? If they had something to announce they would right? So what this says is they aren’t really developing anything because by now they would have something to show us on ps5 without it being a remake. I mean we knew about Starfield years ago and are just now getting looks at some gameplay. They should at least tell us they are working on something.

I don’t know what you’re reading into it.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If your announcement is a remake and more stuff reusing a 9 year old property then you aren’t announcing anything new right? If they had something to announce they would right? So what this says is they aren’t really developing anything because by now they would have something to show us on ps5 without it being a remake. I mean we knew about Starfield years ago and are just now getting looks at some gameplay. They should at least tell us they are working on something.

I don’t know what you’re reading into it.
Starfield was announced because Todd Howard was desperate to get rid of the Fallout 76 stink. We didn't get a Fallout 4 announcement until the same year it was released. Announcing nothing says nothing.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I recently started playing some diablo 3 eternal on PS5 and wanted to try out the Necromancer class build.

For some reason only the Necromancer class has no voice dialogue, other classes are fine.

Took a look at blizzard forums and this seems to have been an issue for 3 years and only affecting consoles. Pretty crazy that it hasn't been acknowledged since on YouTube I was watching someone play it and there was voice dialogue but that video was recorded 4 years ago.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Starfield was announced because Todd Howard was desperate to get rid of the Fallout 76 stink. We didn't get a Fallout 4 announcement until the same year it was released. Announcing nothing says nothing.

Starfield was announced at E3 2018 right after they announced 76.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
He's still right though - announcing nothing doesn't mean they aren't working on anything. I don't understand how or why anyone would even come to that conclusion. Especially a company as huge as ND lol.

"Microsoft hasn't announced Windows 12 yet, they must not be working on it"

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Starfield was announced at E3 2018 right after they announced 76.
Yes, they announced Fallout 76, a multiplayer game, which they knew wasn't going to go over well, since they're known for single player classics. "We better give them news of a single player game, let them know about the next one"

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yes, they announced Fallout 76, a multiplayer game, which they knew wasn't going to go over well, since they're known for single player classics. "We better give them news of a single player game, let them know about the next one"

Uh, OK. So we are just making up stuff now? Fine, Naughty Dog didn't announce anything because they are out of ideas.

It is pretty standard for companies to announce projects that are many years away at big shows like E3. They don't do it because they think another game they announced is garbage. They mainly do it to attract talent that wants to work on that stuff (and build some hype with fans).

I don't think ND is out of ideas, but just MAYBE they are leaning a bit too heavy on Last of Us. Probably just trying to keep hype up for the HBO series. They are kind of at an interesting crossroads though. They essentially have finished both of the main series they made. Where do they go from here? IMO, always better to try something new then to keep rehashing the same old stuff.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't think ND is out of ideas, but just MAYBE they are leaning a bit too heavy on Last of Us. Probably just trying to keep hype up for the HBO series. They are kind of at an interesting crossroads though. They essentially have finished both of the main series they made. Where do they go from here? IMO, always better to try something new then to keep rehashing the same old stuff.

The explanation that the devs needed something to work on while they figure out what to do next is fine by me.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Uh, OK. So we are just making up stuff now? Fine, Naughty Dog didn't announce anything because they are out of ideas.
Uh, what are you on about? I honestly have no idea how to interpret this.

It is pretty standard for companies to announce projects that are many years away at big shows like E3. They don't do it because they think another game they announced is garbage. They mainly do it to attract talent that wants to work on that stuff (and build some hype with fans).
Todd Howard very obviously announced Starfield to stem the potential backlash of Fallout 76. Their big announcement was a multiplayer, microtransaction-filled game in a beloved singleplayer franchise. He had no reason to announce Starfield (with nothing more than a title, by the way), other than because he was worried about the backlash. It was obvious in the moment, and even more so with 20/20 hindsight.

It's definitely intentionally placed near the HBO series. I bet there's even a specific marketing term for it.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Todd Howard very obviously announced Starfield to stem the potential backlash of Fallout 76. Their big announcement was a multiplayer, microtransaction-filled game in a beloved singleplayer franchise. He had no reason to announce Starfield (with nothing more than a title, by the way), other than because he was worried about the backlash. It was obvious in the moment, and even more so with 20/20 hindsight.

This is all conjecture. Cmdrdredd saying ND isn't making anything is just as valid if we go by this reasoning.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Last I checked, Naughty Dog is in the business of making money and are known for having some of the best games in the industry.

They won't make money by not working on anything that haven't told us about.

I mean this has been happening for decades I don't understand why this is surprising to people that there are a lot of unknown projects being worked on all the time.

Capcom announced SF6 a few weeks ago. They have been working it since 2018 per their own words but no one knew about it until a couple weeks ago and it's coming out next year probably in Q1 - So less than a year out from it's announcement. This isn't anything new.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
This is all conjecture. Cmdrdredd saying ND isn't making anything is just as valid if we go by this reasoning.
Need I remind you of, just 6 months prior, Bethesda's ad about saving singleplayer?
And then their big E3 announcement is a multiplayer game. But sure, Todd Howard expected no backlash at all. Whatever you have to tell yourself.

And either way, the whole point is that the lack of an announcement is not indicative of nothing being worked on. It really is a ridiculous assumption.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Exactly

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Last I checked, Naughty Dog is in the business of making money and are known for having some of the best games in the industry.

They won't make money by not working on anything that haven't told us about.

I mean this has been happening for decades I don't understand why this is surprising to people that there are a lot of unknown projects being worked on all the time.

Capcom announced SF6 a few weeks ago. They have been working it since 2018 per their own words but no one knew about it until a couple weeks ago and it's coming out next year probably in Q1 - So less than a year out from it's announcement. This isn't anything new.

That’s debatable. Their games are largely just set piece action games. That doesn’t go over well with everyone. I’ll admit I’m tired of that much like certain open world style games with the Assassin’s Creed style points on a map and unlocking the map by climbing a tower. Even Horizon leaned heavily on this idea and it’s getting stale.

I just hope there can be something new brought to the table.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
That’s debatable. Their games are largely just set piece action games. That doesn’t go over well with everyone. I’ll admit I’m tired of that much like certain open world style games with the Assassin’s Creed style points on a map and unlocking the map by climbing a tower. Even Horizon leaned heavily on this idea and it’s getting stale.

I just hope there can be something new brought to the table.
I disagree. They might have started with innocently fun action games (Crash Bandicoot), they've been slowly making their way over to narrative-driven games that use action as a means of progressing the story. Jak and Daxter is mostly an action game working off of a basic storyline, the Uncharted series cranks that up a notch, and TLOU is arguably mostly a story-driven game wrapped up in a horror-action wrapper. If I didn't care for the characters in the Uncharted or TLOU series, I'd have a lot less interest in playing those games. Additionally, even if ND games aren't a person's cup of tea, it's not hard to admire the level of polish they put into their games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I disagree. They might have started with innocently fun action games (Crash Bandicoot), they've been slowly making their way over to narrative-driven games that use action as a means of progressing the story. Jak and Daxter is mostly an action game working off of a basic storyline, the Uncharted series cranks that up a notch, and TLOU is arguably mostly a story-driven game wrapped up in a horror-action wrapper. If I didn't care for the characters in the Uncharted or TLOU series, I'd have a lot less interest in playing those games. Additionally, even if ND games aren't a person's cup of tea, it's not hard to admire the level of polish they put into their games.

I dont think you understand what a set piece action game is. Uncharted is the best example. Think the section where you are falling from the plane with the cargo attached and you are fighting guys on top of it all. The story derves as a means to get you to those setpieces for the avtion sequence.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I dont think you understand what a set piece action game is. Uncharted is the best example. Think the section where you are falling from the plane with the cargo attached and you are fighting guys on top of it all. The story derves as a means to get you to those setpieces for the avtion sequence.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
No, I understand what a set piece action game is, but using Uncharted as an example of ND largely making set piece action games is a little unfair considering the whole game is an action movie that you get to interact with.

Also, saying that the story is just a means to get you to set piece action sequences is a pretty broad statement, no? I could argue that Resident Evil games are set piece action games too, no? I mean, the plot is there to just lead you to some epic boss fights, right? Yet no one really denies that Capcom makes some of the best games in the business via Resident Evil.

Just because a developer is known for making games that have set pieces isn't a bad thing when I feel like a lot of developers do just that.

Naughty Dog is just on another level because of the level of polish they have for their games. The Last of Us Part 2 didn't really have a final set piece at it's climax. That last fight against Abby was anything but a set piece, and the conclusion or closure to that game is in the form of a final cutscene that answers a lot of questions that the game hints at throughout the story.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I just finished GTA V. Yeah, I know. It was $10 for the single player and I had never played it before. I liked the final quarter of the story missions but overall I dunno.

Loading time should be better but I'm guessing it's a lot better than PS3. 15 seconds from hitting continue and character switching is about 9-10 seconds.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, well, well... GoW Ragnarok has an official release date of November 9th. Lets see if they actually stick to it and if this was a decision to rush it out because of lack of competition.

HFW also got another patch which adds VRR and a 40 fps mode, for those who like that.