Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Does the VRR update increase PS5 power consumption and/or noise significantly? Supposedly with uncapped framerates some games are seeing ~50% performance increases.

This must mean the power out of the wall must be going up alot?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Does the VRR update increase PS5 power consumption and/or noise significantly? Supposedly with uncapped framerates some games are seeing ~50% performance increases.

This must mean the power out of the wall must be going up alot?

Shouldn’t really use more power just that you can see game performed better than the 60fps limit on the hardware. The TDP of the console is what? 400w?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
LOL @ 8k.

We aren't even close to 4k @ 60fps and we already talking about 8k.

Depends on your setup. The XB1X and PS5 are not capable, but my HTPC can hit do it in many games, if not exceed. Turn off ray tracing and I'm not aware of a game that the 3090 can't run at 4k 60fps+.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Depends on your setup. The XB1X and PS5 are not capable, but my HTPC can hit do it in many games, if not exceed. Turn off ray tracing and I'm not aware of a game that the 3090 can't run at 4k 60fps+.
I mean we're in a PS5 thread talking about PS5, so I thought it was pretty obvious that I'm referring to consoles.

• Haha
Reactions: Oyeve

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
A quick google search says that receiver only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

Also couldn't find anything about 2.1 specs on their official website.

That will do it, thanks. Switched to the 2.1 port and it works fine.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You kids and your new-fangled HDMI equipped receivers. I'm still rocking my Denon 3805.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You kids and your new-fangled HDMI equipped receivers. I'm still rocking my Denon 3805.

I run my PC and game consoles to my LG CX Tv and use eARC to my Denon x2700h. I have the first gen HDMI2.1 with the bad chip and the conversion box they gave out for free is very hit or miss. I bypass the AVR for video and it only gets the audio signal.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I run my PC and game consoles to my LG CX Tv and use eARC to my Denon x2700h. I have the first gen HDMI2.1 with the bad chip and the conversion box they gave out for free is very hit or miss. I bypass the AVR for video and it only gets the audio signal.

Mind boggling how Panasonic screwed up the HDMI implementation so bad. The rush to get 2.1 on the market caused way more headaches than necessary.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Mind boggling how Panasonic screwed up the HDMI implementation so bad. The rush to get 2.1 on the market caused way more headaches than necessary.

It’s always like that when new HDMI comes out. I remember when HDR came out and certain cables didn’t work at all and there had to be certified cables to tell you which ones are ok to use lol

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I can't believe how buggy Dying Light 2 is. I can't tell you how many missions I have failed because an NPC wouldn't spawn or a door couldn't be opened or the game won't let me talk to an NPC to advance the mission because it says there are enemies nearby even though there are none. This game is such a monumental step down in quality from the first game. Can't believe this game is still having these kind of bugs 3 1/2 months after release. I'm constantly having to go look up walktrhoughs to see if I'm doing something wrong but it always turns out to be one of these scripting bugs, forcing me to quit and reload the save to progress again. Really takes you out of the game and happens over and over in the main questline.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I can't believe how buggy Dying Light 2 is. I can't tell you how many missions I have failed because an NPC wouldn't spawn or a door couldn't be opened or the game won't let me talk to an NPC to advance the mission because it says there are enemies nearby even though there are none. This game is such a monumental step down in quality from the first game. Can't believe this game is still having these kind of bugs 3 1/2 months after release. I'm constantly having to go look up walktrhoughs to see if I'm doing something wrong but it always turns out to be one of these scripting bugs, forcing me to quit and reload the save to progress again. Really takes you out of the game and happens over and over in the main questline.

That's disappointing. I wanted to try the game once the price dropped but sounds like I should wait longer.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That's disappointing. I wanted to try the game once the price dropped but sounds like I should wait longer.

I heard it's not so buggy on PC and XBox anymore, with Techland being a PC first developer. But the PS5 version is a mess. So bad that after finishing the game last night I think I'd rate it a 5/10 and regret spending $30 on it. Even had a bug on the final mission of the game where none of the graphics from a cutscene loaded and the screen was black but with the audio playing for the entire thing. On PS5 the main questline is just bugged to hell; I swear around every third quest in the main questline would have some bug that broke progression and would require quitting out and reloading. The game can be pretty fun when you're just doing parkour in the open world as long as you're not doing an explicit quest. Side quests are pretty lousy too, but not buggy the way the story quest is. But even then, the open world activities get very repetitive. I mostly saved the questline until I was done unlocking things in the city but it was so bad it completely tanked my opinion of the game. I'm just amazed Techland could put out something so lame after how incredible Dying Light 1 was. I have probably played more disappointing games than Dying Light 2, but I can't think of one right now.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There's a State of Play coming on Thursday. Don't know if any of you care about PSVR2 but they are going to show some VR games for the first time along with some third party games.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm looking forward to Jedi survivor. I really enjoyed fallen order. If they can get the light saber haptics on the dual sense, that would be really cool. I played Fallen order a while back on the PC but I used an xbox controller.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I still don't see the point of mid gen refreshes. Are 8k TV expected to start becoming mainstream next year or 2024?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Native 4k60.

I still don’t think that’s gonna happen reliably with AMD GPU hardware if you want ray tracing. Arguably the biggest graphical upgrade you can use today is basically unplayable with AMD’s fastest GPU. Games without ray tracing should be ok, but it really depends on the game itself. Some games are just more demanding even without ray tracing. Maybe AMD’s next GPU effort will have more power dedicated to ray tracing performance.

Right now though with so few titles available and almost no ps5 exclusives(nearly everything is a port or multigenerational title) it’s way too early to start asking for new consoles. If TCL wants to sell TVs they need working VRR, better black levels, better color volume for 10bit, all the newest features. A new console won’t help them there.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
HFW got a new patch which includes New Game+. Also some people are talking about improvements to the shimmer, I might take a look.

Also ouch, FF16 got delayed to Summer 2023.