Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
The last Series X drop at Best Buy was this past weekend, but it required Total Tech.
Which defeats the purpose. I know there is an unethical work around to getting your money back for Total Tech but eventually Best Buy will stop doing that after a product purchase or they're banking on people forgetting.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Thought there was way more than 1 or 2 gems. Just on PS5 exclusives you have Demon's Souls and Rift Apart as absolute bangers this first year and a half. Then other highly rated exclusives like Deathloop and Returnal, though I haven't played either so can't say whether I'd consider them in the class of Demon's Souls and Rift Apart. Ghost of Tsushima was too much for base PS4 to run but PS5 runs it in its full glory. Spiderman Remastered is definitely a much better experience on PS5 than the original on PS4, that 60 fps in the performance rt mode really lends a lot to the sense of speed in the game. And then getting the full fat version of Miles Morales. Plus much better versions of Final Fantasy VII Remake and The Last of Us Part II. And then being the only console able to play Elden Ring at 60 fps using the PS4 Pro version in BC mode (though Series X has the best console version if playing on an HDMI 2.1 TV with VRR or a monitor supporting FreeSync). PS5 has had an exceptionally good launch IMO, at least when it comes to games (terrible when it comes to meeting demand obviously). Only system to beat it in the last 15 years was probably Switch with BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the launch window.

I do not count remakes, remasters, or games that get some update for new hardware and games that should be sold as DLC but are charged full price (Spider-Man miles) myself. While they might be worth playing, I don’t include them since they aren’t really new.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
A lot of the PS5 titles aren't ones I'd play because they're not my style of game, but wanted to get Deathloop and was told to avoid it because it didn't live up to the hype.

I didn't know there was a new Ratchet and Clank game! I remember Resistance being really popular during the launch period of the PS3, though. There was another game that was heavily advertised but I don't remember the name for it. These carried the PS3 for a few months. It helped the Ps3 was mostly sold out for a long time, too.

I think Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was a solid 8.5/10 game. They added a second lombax which had me a bit worried going into the game, but she's a lot of fun to play and well written and will surely be a fixture in future games. Deathloop is really polarizing, especially after IGN gave it a 10/10 review. Has a ton of fans and a ton of detractors and not much middle ground. Same with Returnal. I like the art style and the plot seemed interesting in Deathloop, so I picked it up for a ridiculously low price in a Gamestop sale for Black Friday, but I bought so much around that time and then this February too that it's still firmly wedged in my backlog, especially after Elden Ring took me two months to platinum.

Reactions: A///

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I do not count remakes, remasters, or games that get some update for new hardware and games that should be sold as DLC but are charged full price (Spider-Man miles) myself. While they might be worth playing, I don’t include them since they aren’t really new.

For me, I just played backlog games and stopped buying new PS4 games in 2020, knowing I'd wait for 60 fps modes when I could score a PS5. Only PS4 game I bought in 2020 was Persona 5 Royal because I knew that would be stuck at 30 fps since the physics is tied to the framerate. Decided to wait until I could get a PS5 to play Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and even some older PS4 games like Spiderman and Uncharted Lost Legacy to get that sweet 60 fps. To me PS5 had all the advantages of PC and console put into one box. Though Elden Ring has pointed out one huge missing advantage of PC: namely, FreeSync. Though I bought my PS5 before I decided I wanted to game on a monitor instead of a TV, so FreeSync didn't matter to me then.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
For me, I just played backlog games and stopped buying new PS4 games in 2020, knowing I'd wait for 60 fps modes when I could score a PS5. Only PS4 game I bought in 2020 was Persona 5 Royal because I knew that would be stuck at 30 fps since the physics is tied to the framerate. Decided to wait until I could get a PS5 to play Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and even some older PS4 games like Spiderman and Uncharted Lost Legacy to get that sweet 60 fps. To me PS5 had all the advantages of PC and console put into one box. Though Elden Ring has pointed out one huge missing advantage of PC: namely, FreeSync. Though I bought my PS5 before I decided I wanted to game on a monitor instead of a TV, so FreeSync didn't matter to me then.

I’m still shocked VRR isn’t enabled on the ps5 when series x had it from the beginning. Everything else you mentioned is why I said the ps5 seems to sell out more quickly than the series x. A lot of titles not on Xbox at all that people can play better than on ps4.

As it pertains to launch titles I don’t include them unless they are entirely new releases that land in the system.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Horizon Forbidden West still broken in performance mode.

Ugh I should have waited for it to hit $30 instead of buying at launch after that pos John Linneman gushed about the game's graphics while hiding how trash the performance mode image quality was until after launch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They won't fix it anytime soon. It's probably a big overhaul. I just got used to 4k 30 at this point.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Horizon Forbidden West still broken in performance mode.

Ugh I should have waited for it to hit $30 instead of buying at launch after that pos John Linneman gushed about the game's graphics while hiding how trash the performance mode image quality was until after launch.

He was clearly focused on showing the graphics. It wasn’t a bug report video.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
He was clearly focused on showing the graphics. It wasn’t a bug report video.

BS, Linneman had no problem talking about how great the framerate was in performance mode in his fluff video for the PS5 Graphics Masterclass so he could paint the performance mode in the best light while hiding how broken it was until after launch.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
BS, Linneman had no problem talking about how great the framerate was in performance mode in his fluff video for the PS5 Graphics Masterclass so he could paint the performance mode in the best light while hiding how broken it was until after launch.

He highlighted graphics and the differences between details in different modes and mentioned the performance but keep looking for a conspiracy if you want.

It was NOT a game review, it was not a bug report video. It was a graphics and technical analysis. I figured out 2 minutes into the video that he played most of the game at 30fps in resolution mode. He even said just that.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
He highlighted graphics and the differences between details in different modes and mentioned the performance but keep looking for a conspiracy if you want.

It was NOT a game review, it was not a bug report video. It was a graphics and technical analysis. I figured out 2 minutes into the video that he played most of the game at 30fps in resolution mode. He even said just that.

It was a review of the game graphics which he spun in the most positive possible light he could have. DF is industry shills.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
VRR is coming with a patch soon. Maybe try graphics mode and see if you can tolerate the frame rate?

VRR is only for HDMI 2.1 on the PS5. Won't do crap for me on my FreeSync monitor over HDMI 2.0 even though XBox has supported it since 2018. Though Forbidden West's graphics mode is VSynced to 30 fps anyways.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Your guys wish has been granted.

VRR out now on PS5.

My wish was for FreeSync like XBox has, but Sony could give a crap about people gaming on monitors because they want to sell them TVs. No VRR for me since my FreeSync monitor only has HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My wish was for FreeSync like XBox has, but Sony could give a crap about people gaming on monitors because they want to sell them TVs. No VRR for me since my FreeSync monitor only has HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort.
Plenty of people also don't have vrr capable TV's. Unless you've bought a new TV in the past year or so this feature won't benefit everyone. My lg C8 looks just fine and I never feel the need to upgrade to another one unless something breaks.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I personally couldn't care less about VRR (or 4K) since I'm gaming on a 1080p projector. I was maybe going to think about upgrading to a 4K one this gen that has more current HDMI but considering the consoles still aren't even close to 4K 60fps I am definitely not in a rush to upgrade especially with the price of 4K projectors. Probably when PS6 comes out I'll start looking at upgrading.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I personally couldn't care less about VRR (or 4K) since I'm gaming on a 1080p projector. I was maybe going to think about upgrading to a 4K one this gen that has more current HDMI but considering the consoles still aren't even close to 4K 60fps I am definitely not in a rush to upgrade especially with the price of 4K projectors. Probably when PS6 comes out I'll start looking at upgrading.
I know before I bought my projector 2 years ago I was doing all kinds of research. The true 4k ones are really expensive. So unless you always have 4k content to play through it, may not be the best option.

I have an Epson home Cinema 3800 and it outputs 4k with upscaling and supports HDMI 2.0. I used it during the pandemic in my bedroom while working from home but now I have it boxed up.

When the girlfriend and I end up buying a house it will definitely be used again in a theater room or basement.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Even on my 28 inch monitor 1440p is night and day cleaner than 1080p, and hard to run games are usually rendered 1440p, 1800p, or 1800c in 60 fps modes. So would think a bigger picture would magnify those differences. Though I have never used a projector.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Plenty of people also don't have vrr capable TV's. Unless you've bought a new TV in the past year or so this feature won't benefit everyone. My lg C8 looks just fine and I never feel the need to upgrade to another one unless something breaks.

3 years. The C9 got full VRR support and released in April 2019.