Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I played the first hourish of FW. Still in the tutorial mission, it's pretty long.

In performance mode I wasn't getting any shimmer but yes there is a ton of foliage where I could see that being an issue.
In resolution mode, I was getting the same choppy frame rate issue I mentioned earlier with FF7 Remake's PS5 version. Didn't try the force resolution in the PS5 settings to see if that changed things.

Course I am temporarily playing on an ancient 720p monitor. Game still looks great.

Pro Tip - there's a setting to disable the need to hit X to continue after loading. It only takes like 3 seconds to load so I don't see a point unless you wanted to read the hints.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The way things appear to be going, looks like I won't have to look into a 4k projector until next gen at the earliest. I won't even consider it until 4k/60fps is the norm and we are apparently nowhere close to that yet.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The way things appear to be going, looks like I won't have to look into a 4k projector until next gen at the earliest. I won't even consider it until 4k/60fps is the norm and we are apparently nowhere close to that yet.

Considering a 3070 Ti or 6700 XT are the minimum needed to get 4k/60 in a lot of current games, I'm not surprised that these consoles can't do it. I will slog through with 4k/30 for now and look to get this for the PC later down the road.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like Guerrilla Games has acknowledged the visual issues for forbidden west in performance mode. They are looking into it and they suggest everyone that is experiencing anything to submit pictures or videos as proof.

Hopefully they can patch it somehow. I know zero dawn was able to do 4k 60hz with checkerboard rendering and it looked very good. I wonder if they can do the same here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
First look at PSVR2 headset. Still no price or launch date though.

8fd9c404e81dd1f0929b574b7689c9ae0fdaf5d4-scaled.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/22/first-look-the-headset-design-for-playstation-vr2/

Jul 27, 2020
Foveated rendering? This would be the first shipping VR headset to implement that, I think. Best case price: $500. Worst case: $999.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I got lucky a few months ago and got one for myself in a bundle deal, disc edition. It's been my default go to since then when I'm free.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Games like forbidden west are fine at 30fps with the better graphics. Hell I even enjoyed Forza Horizon 5 better at 30fps than 60fps due to the enhanced foliage and environments.

on another note I find that forbidden west has a very cluttered map. Got past the gate into the main world and well, there are way too many question marks. I guess I’m the type of person who would rather they pop up naturally as you approach the area during exploration rather than to just plaster them all over the map from the get go. It makes me feel a bit overwhelmed. I don’t want to feel I missed things but I think I will unfortunately have to or risk this turning into a slog.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

Looks like Patch 1.05 is out for HFW, which addresses some of the graphical concerns.
I don't think 1.05 addresses the visual issues in performance mode related to the over sharpening. They stated that they were still investigating those issues.

But this patch does fix some hdr stuff and a bunch of quest related bugs. Glad to see they also fixed the screen flashing when looting a box.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I don't think 1.05 addresses the visual issues in performance mode related to the over sharpening. They stated that they were still investigating those issues.

But this patch does fix some hdr stuff and a bunch of quest related bugs. Glad to see they also fixed the screen flashing when looting a box.

Yeah, looks like they didn't address it in this patch but they note that the shimmering, etc are high priority for them. I am glad that they fixed some animation issues, especially this one:
  • Fixed an issue where Aloy's animation would sometimes jitter rapidly when climbing after picking up a plant has been fixed.
I noticed this one immediately lol. Aloy was just spazzing out. Must be some special plants she grabbed, I must say.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

It did make the palm trees and some of the crap on the ground look quite a bit better IMO. The dead palm fronds on the ground were absolutely horrible on my screen on 1.004, as were the trees, but they look decent now on 1.005. Still a pretty ugly upscale though, the shimmering on the grass and the distant foliage is still all there. I imagine I'll be playing Elden Ring for a while and then come back to this in a month or month and a half.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I have been playing HFW since to was released and there is one "?" in the Daunt that I cannot get to. It is on the far SE side. I have looked for ways to climb up and even tried to glide to the area. I have collected all of the lens so I know it is not one of those..

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Finally got a PS5 a few weeks ago, refused to pay over retail or play the game of trying to track one down when they "drop". Horizons is fantastic as the first was. Havent really played anything else yet. Don't have the time for Elder, although every review looks fantastic.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Alright, I was able to put in a lot more hours into HFW over the weekend. Man, is it just me or is the combat much more frustrating in this game over the first? Guerilla Games really rebalanced some of the mechanics in ways that are arguably more "fair" but end up making the game less fun in my opinion. I'm playing on hard and machines feel like arrow sponges (i.e. they can take a lot of hits), the strongest machines are only weak against acid (which is arguably the most useless elemental), it's super easy to get stun locked, you cannot roll dodge too many times before Aloy staggers and slows down, etc. I get that all of the changes are to promote using the entire arsenal of weapons but it honestly feels like I'm playing Dark Souls at times, where if you don't dodge at the right moment you get spanked for 3/4 of your health bar.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Alright, I was able to put in a lot more hours into HFW over the weekend. Man, is it just me or is the combat much more frustrating in this game over the first? Guerilla Games really rebalanced some of the mechanics in ways that are arguably more "fair" but end up making the game less fun in my opinion. I'm playing on hard and machines feel like arrow sponges (i.e. they can take a lot of hits), the strongest machines are only weak against acid (which is arguably the most useless elemental), it's super easy to get stun locked, you cannot roll dodge too many times before Aloy staggers and slows down, etc. I get that all of the changes are to promote using the entire arsenal of weapons but it honestly feels like I'm playing Dark Souls at times, where if you don't dodge at the right moment you get spanked for 3/4 of your health bar.
Yea, it is a bit harder this go around. Even on easy mode its much tougher than the first. Refreshing IMO.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yup I'm playing on normal and that's the first thing I noticed is how difficult the enemies can be. I find that ice or poison definitely helps knock them down. After that, you can run up and do a critical strike.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I, as always, try to grind up my characters a lot so its easier to deal with enemies. Also, being able to use 3 arrows at a time really helps. Also, fire arrows. I love fire arrows.