Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Wow. That looks like PS3 era graphics. You could try mClassic to smooth out the edges.

On second thought it's actually worse. The video does a great job capturing how bad the shimmer is in performance mode, especially on vegetation, but the oversharpening also gives the game an extreme film grain look too that isn't shown off well by the video. Ugh I should not have bought this at launch, it looks so gross right now on performance mode, and I didn't buy a PS5 to play games at 30 fps so not touching resolution mode. Performance mode is supposed to be 1800p but it barely looks 720p thanks to the sharpening applied.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm playing it on graphics mode myself. Would rather have good visuals and see if I can deal with 30fps.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
How does it look in performance mode at 1080p? It's 60 fps right?

I'm not getting it any time soon most likely but I would never play a game in 30fps if they give me the option to play in 60fps.

Really do not like the direction this gen is going/has gone so far.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It looks really pronounced in that video. Yea that would look annoying with all that shimmering. I'm really surprised the reviews didn't catch or mention this. I figured at least digital foundry would have said something.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Here on Reddit GuerrillaGames is replying to some people about the over sharpening. They are asking for pics and videos.

If the hotfix they applied on the server side didn't fix it, I suggest tweeting them the link to this video.

Looks like they need to either remove the sharpening, have a slider, or have a toggle to turn it off in the video options.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Horizon Forbidden West PS5, PS4 Shimmering Bug Solved - Push Square

Maybe fixed now? Also, if using a 4K TV, try turning off the TV's sharpening feature.

Here on Reddit GuerrillaGames is replying to some people about the over sharpening. They are asking for pics and videos.

If the hotfix they applied on the server side didn't fix it, I suggest tweeting them the link to this video.

Looks like they need to either remove the sharpening, have a slider, or have a toggle to turn it off in the video options.

That hotfix fixed different bug. Namely, this one:

All post-processing had been turned off in that first video I posted, and I also have it turned off on my monitor and still get that horrible oversharpening. It's not on my side, every other game on the monitor looks great. Guerilla already has been sent that video.

There is no way that oversharpening isn't in their bug database internally though, not a chance in hell QA testers did not catch that.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea looks like it fixed the weird flicker. I think this game would benefit from a 40fps performance mode just like ratchet and clank. Hopefully they can patch it soon.

I'll just try and start playing it soon here in resolution mode.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yea looks like it fixed the weird flicker. I think this game would benefit from a 40fps performance mode just like ratchet and clank. Hopefully they can patch it soon.

I'll just try and start playing it soon here in resolution mode.
R&C performance mode is 60fps not 40.

(unless they patched in some additional mode that wasn't there at launch)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
30fps is out of my comfort zone too. I remember getting Destiny 2 on my PS4 Pro and trying to play and being like what the hell I can't do this.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've started it up and yea I definitely notice it on performance mode. Shimmer and shine everywhere. Especially when the sun hits the plants and everything.

I have gotten into some of the fights in 30 fps mode and I didn't feel like it was slow and clunky. Demon souls on resolution mode felt slow and clunky.

Here it feels pretty smooth. The graphics and environment in resolution mode really are beautiful.

The movement of Aloy seems a bit janky at times, like when jumping towards something. I remember seeing in reviews that this wasn't the case.

Also, I get a whole screen flicker on my tv after I search a create and press triangle to take all items. This happens every time I loot a crate and I'm not sure why.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
The movement of Aloy seems a bit janky at times, like when jumping towards something. I remember seeing in reviews that this wasn't the case.
I agree. The movement / animations could use a little more polishing. My play style is like a schizophrenic and so I'm moving all over the place, trying to constantly hurdle and jump onto high ground, and it's really noticable when the game doesn't feel like it can keep up animation-wise. The first game was better in this regard, but it's nothing a patch or two can't fix.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Really not sure why every time I loot a crate my TV's screen flickers/flashes. It's getting really annoying.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Can't believe this game looks better if I set my PS5 to output 1080p, since the blurring from going to 1080p counteracts the oversharpening.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
2022 is off to such a disappointing start. First Dying Light 2 is released very unfinished (eg the terrible zombie animations) and running only 1080p60 on PS5, then Horizon Forbidden West is legitimately the ugliest looking game I have played on my PS5 when put in performance mode. Now I'm half expecting Elden Ring to be a turd too. Guess we'll see in 5 days. Hopefully one game will live up to the hype when this was supposed to be the most exciting month in gaming in years.

Forbidden West is the only game I have played on PS5 that didn't impress me. Otherwise PS5 on my Asus TUF VG289Q1A IPS 28 inch 4k panel I bought a few months ago has looked amazing, even the HDR has been way better than expected on a $350 monitor. It blew me away how good even old Yakuza 5 looked on it, but Forbidden West is UGLY.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
For what it's worth I've been playing it in resolution mode. At least it did not seem to me that it dropped below 30fps. Feels pretty good and I've switched back and forth a few times now because I just can't do the 60 fps mode right now.

I do expect patches to smoothen out Aloy's movement and jumping because it does get in the way sometimes being clunky.

I am really surprised digital foundry spent their whole video discussing the graphics and how good they are in 4k on resolution mode. But it's like they never bothered to switch to performance mode until later. Also none of my favorite reviewers mentioned this either.

I wonder if it was just played on monitors rather than OLED TV's because the sharpening is very pronounced on an oled tv.

On another note I'm disappointed with my Ps5 controllers. It's only been about a year and they barely hold a charge it seems. Fully charged last night, after maybe 1.5hrs the one is down to 1 bar of battery.

I guess I'll just have to buy 2 new ones at some point.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
On another note I'm disappointed with my Ps5 controllers. It's only been about a year and they barely hold a charge it seems. Fully charged last night, after maybe 1.5hrs the one is down to 1 bar of battery.

I guess I'll just have to buy 2 new ones at some point.
While nice, the haptic triggers really eat into the battery life of the controllers. I didn't realize how much power that feature used up until I played Astro's Playroom and had to charge my controller after like 4 hours of use when I was used to 6-8 hours. Horizon doesn't appear to take advantage of the haptic triggers outside of making it feel like you're drawing a bow string so I immediately turned it off. I have a bad habit of releasing L2 before R2 so I end up not firing off the arrow, so the added resistance does not help.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Played like an hour of Cyberpunk... then realized that yeah I think I've done all the interesting side quests. I did see one bug (there was a floating mesh) but that was it. The game binary is half the size too which is nice.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
While nice, the haptic triggers really eat into the battery life of the controllers. I didn't realize how much power that feature used up until I played Astro's Playroom and had to charge my controller after like 4 hours of use when I was used to 6-8 hours. Horizon doesn't appear to take advantage of the haptic triggers outside of making it feel like you're drawing a bow string so I immediately turned it off. I have a bad habit of releasing L2 before R2 so I end up not firing off the arrow, so the added resistance does not help.

Weird, even with all the haptic crap turned on my DualSense tends to last me way longer than my DualShock 4 ever did. DualShock 4 is the only controller I have ever used where I could start a gaming session fully charged and then have to end it to go plug it in the charger.