Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
When do you guys think they'll release the PS5 Pro? I know Sony has already trademarked the name, but with the current chip shortage and supply chain issues still going on, I wonder if they'll hold off on any console revisions for a while. The PS4 Pro came out in 2016, three years after the base system, so Fall 2023 is probably the likely release date, but it could be later in 2024. I'm thinking of waiting till then to finally get one, since I still don't see them anywhere in stores. My Series X should hold me over till then, though.

I don't really see a PS5 Pro happening. PS4 Pro only came out because 4k TVs started getting cheap right around the time there was a node shrink to 16nm, and the base PS4 was so woefully underpowered. Meanwhile PS5 is very strong hardware and I don't anticipate a big push to 8k TVs for a while. And node shrinks to 3nm might not give the cost per transistor savings we saw going from 28 nm (PS4) to 16 nm (PS4 Pro / PS4 Slim). That was Microsoft's justification for releasing the Series S, that they expect cost per transistor to not drop a while lot on 3nm.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I don't really see a PS5 Pro happening. PS4 Pro only came out because 4k TVs started getting cheap right around the time there was a node shrink to 16nm, and the base PS4 was so woefully underpowered. Meanwhile PS5 is very strong hardware and I don't anticipate a big push to 8k TVs for a while. And node shrinks to 3nm might not give the cost per transistor savings we saw going from 28 nm (PS4) to 16 nm (PS4 Pro / PS4 Slim). That was Microsoft's justification for releasing the Series S, that they expect cost per transistor to not drop a while lot on 3nm.
Yeah, nodes aren't getting any cheaper on a $/transistor basis anymore. If I remember correctly, the last good node where you got a decrease in $/xtor was 28nm. It's only been uphill from there, which means even a die shrink of the PS5 SOC to 5nm or even 3nm won't net Sony that much cost savings. Where they might save on costs is in lower power consumption and thus less cooling required. If there were a PS5 Pro die, due to the higher transistor count but also rising $/transistor factor, it's going to be an very expensive part. Gone are the days of the Pro version occupying the original price point of the base model. If you want a Pro version, it's going to be double the price of the original model or something like that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I definitely think there will be. They will just charge more for it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
If AMD is pushed to 5nm for all of their future production, then I can see a Pro model in the next few years. However, this time around both companies didn't make the strategic mistake of using a woefully under powered CPU.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If AMD is pushed to 5nm for all of their future production, then I can see a Pro model in the next few years. However, this time around both companies didn't make the strategic mistake of using a woefully under powered CPU.

I dunno, I don't think N6 is a big enough of a shrink to get the power savings they would want. It'd have to be N5 or more likely N4P. That might be the one thing that would derail a PS5 Pro... Using N4P might cause it to be too late if they are sticking to the 7 year cycle.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
When do you guys think they'll release the PS5 Pro? I know Sony has already trademarked the name, but with the current chip shortage and supply chain issues still going on, I wonder if they'll hold off on any console revisions for a while. The PS4 Pro came out in 2016, three years after the base system, so Fall 2023 is probably the likely release date, but it could be later in 2024. I'm thinking of waiting till then to finally get one, since I still don't see them anywhere in stores. My Series X should hold me over till then, though.

Nobody can find a ps5 in store yet. It’s not happening soon if at all. They can tout whatever sales numbers they want but the fact is that a lot of people still have not been able to get a console.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Finally started Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart. Took me a couple of days to really get into it, but now I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Love all the crazy weapons in these games, I really have to go back and play the old PS2 and PS3 games. Love Rivet too, such an awesome new character.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Finally started Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart. Took me a couple of days to really get into it, but now I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Love all the crazy weapons in these games, I really have to go back and play the old PS2 and PS3 games. Love Rivet too, such an awesome new character.

I just felt the game was short and I did run into a couple of near game breaking bugs that cause me to start from a previous checkpoint.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I just felt the game was short and I did run into a couple of near game breaking bugs that cause me to start from a previous checkpoint.

Yeah in the final bossfight I had him stuck at 1% because of some scripting error. Had to reload to beat him.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I will be happy if I can play my Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds disc on my PS5. My PS3 YLOD'd.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Congrats, they're finally catching up to an Xbox One
Supposedly this is a visual bug that is digging up the old PSNow rental prices.

Possibly due to eventual integration into the coming Spartacus service...

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Crap, was hoping to play Drakengard 3 on a system that could hold a steady framerate.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Not sure I have the cpu to handle it. Running a 4C/8T Xeon E3-1231v3, though I do have 16GB DDR3-2400 on it, which has helped a lot with raising minimum framerates in cpu heavy games. Still, that Xeon is basically only a locked i7-4790 minus 200 MHz (and no igpu), so might struggle with RPCS3.

If boards weren't so freaking expensive now I'd get an i5-12400 that would run RPCS3 great, but for the cost of new H670 board (need the 6 SATA ports) + i5-12400 + 16GB DDR4 I'd almost be up to the price of a Series X for a system that would get wrecked by the Series X (since my gpu is only a 1660 Super).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Not sure I have the cpu to handle it. Running a 4C/8T Xeon E3-1231v3, though I do have 16GB DDR3-2400 on it, which has helped a lot with raising minimum framerates in cpu heavy games. Still, that Xeon is basically only a locked i7-4790 minus 200 MHz (and no igpu), so might struggle with RPCS3.

If boards weren't so freaking expensive now I'd get an i5-12400 that would run RPCS3 great, but for the cost of new H670 board (need the 6 SATA ports) + i5-12400 + 16GB DDR4 I'd almost be up to the price of a Series X for a system that would get wrecked by the Series X (since my gpu is only a 1660 Super).

You may be able to offset some cost by selling older components that are being replaced. I've been upgrading a few machines, and typically, the CPUs sell well enough, but it may hurt a bit to see how poor the motherboard fares. Although, since you're talking about an older Intel board, they sometimes do better due to Intel swapping chipsets so often and just generally ruining compatibility, that people need the older boards from time to time, and with that, you end up getting a bit of a premium.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's good to know I will go that route. There's also Elden Ring and Dying light coming out in the same month. I got to the end of horizon but never finished it. I think the sequel should be fine to play on its own. I just hope the story pulls me in more than the first one. I mainly kept going just because the gameplay was awesome.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
So, never played a souls game and got Demon Souls for Xmas based on what I had read in this thread. Back in the day I had wanted to get a PS3 just for this game, but I guess it was a blessing that never came to pass because I get it now.

Hahaha, it's so fun.

Also, it looks so darn good. And instant loading times. A+.

Plus, there's been more than a decade of Reddit and forum posts and sites with dedicated builds that the community support is robust. Only a few hours and many deaths in and I am really enjoying it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So, never played a souls game and got Demon Souls for Xmas based on what I had read in this thread. Back in the day I had wanted to get a PS3 just for this game, but I guess it was a blessing that never came to pass because I get it now.

Hahaha, it's so fun.

Also, it looks so darn good. And instant loading times. A+.

Plus, there's been more than a decade of Reddit and forum posts and sites with dedicated builds that the community support is robust. Only a few hours and many deaths in and I am really enjoying it.

If it wasn't for Elden Ring coming out in a month I'd be playing it right now. I bought a PS3 in 2017 to play Demon's Souls after how much I loved Bloodborne on the PS4 and it was awesome even with the primitive early-gen PS3 level graphics. Highly highly recommend picking up Dark Souls Remastered to play at some point too.

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Finally installed horizon zero dawn again and finished it from where I left off. I forgot how much I enjoyed battling the giant robots.

I'll still have to watch a recap video on YouTube for the story because it's been so long since I started the game.

Looking forward to forbidden west now and it will be nice as it comes out on my birthday.