Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yeah Persona games ever since 3 have had top notch US voice acting. Though the Japanese voices are often more exaggerated. Like a lot of people who played Persona 4 on the PS2 in English hate how they re-did Chie's voice in Persona 4 Golden in English, but the newer VA sounds much more in line with how Chie sounds in the JP language original of Persona 4 and P4G. Or Rise in Persona 4 sounds over the top kawaii with this super high pitch voice. Also Ann's cute American girl speech is exaggerated a lot in the JP VA for Persona 5, though the biggest difference is Morgana. Morgana always calls himself 'wagahai' which sounds very arrogant like Morgana thinks of himself as a king or something where a more typical pronoun for 'I' in Japanese would be 'ore', 'boku', or 'watashi'. Also a reference to a famous Japanese book called 'wagahai wa neko de aru' (I am a Cat) about a cat owned by a regular family who the cat thinks is royalty, so in turn, he is too. Of course none of that stuff is easily translated to English and where that book has no cultural significance.

I getting ready to play P5 Royale and would have certainly used the Japanese voices because I always go subbed vs dubbed, but now you have me rethinking this choice. One thing is for sure, I don't want to change after I've started :)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I getting ready to play P5 Royale and would have certainly used the Japanese voices because I always go subbed vs dubbed, but now you have me rethinking this choice. One thing is for sure, I don't want to change after I've started :)

I kind of like how in the English dub of Persona 5 your homeroom teacher sounds way way way sexier than she does in the Japanese dub. The English VA is top notch in the game. Also, I highly recommend playing some of it using the Gekkoukan High uniforms in battle because then you get the awesome Persona 3 battle theme (well, if Joker is wearing the Gekkoukan High uniform).

Reactions: blckgrffn

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Dubbed wasn’t terrible but I used Japanese for persoana 5 on 2 of my 3 play throughs. I found it just overall better fit.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Dubbed wasn’t terrible but I used Japanese for persoana 5 on 2 of my 3 play throughs. I found it just overall better fit.

Which character's English dubs did you find weak? I think Ann sounded more ditsy in the JP VA but the only really significant difference I found in the main characters was in Morgana sounding really full of himself in the JP VA. Though if you don't know much JP that's not really going to come through; eg referring to himself as 吾輩 but in katakana so he's really emphasizing it, much less just always using first person pronouns period that give him an attention whore kind of vibe. And then knowing why a cat saying ワガハイ is even funny.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Which character's English dubs did you find weak? I think Ann sounded more ditsy in the JP VA but the only really significant difference I found in the main characters was in Morgana sounding really full of himself in the JP VA. Though if you don't know much JP that's not really going to come through; eg referring to himself as 吾輩 but in katakana so he's really emphasizing it, much less just always using first person pronouns period that give him an attention whore kind of vibe. And then knowing why a cat saying ワガハイ is even funny.

I don’t speak Japanese but I felt the emotion shown through better for Aketchi and Futaba specifically. Some of the confidants were better voiced like Kawakami. This is just my opinion based on how they sound and the intonation used to convey emotion.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I don’t speak Japanese but I felt the emotion shown through better for Aketchi and Futaba specifically. Some of the confidants were better voiced like Kawakami. This is just my opinion based on how they sound and the intonation used to convey emotion.

Guess we just gotta disagree on Kawakami, I didn't like her JP VA at all. Akechi though was probably better in JP. Futaba I liked both a lot.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You'll like ghost of Tsushima. While it may seem repetitive if you go and do a ton of the side quests, the combat is where the game excels. The environment is also beautiful and some of the side stories that deal with the Japanese legends are cool.

I haven't bought ratchet and clank yet. My lg c8 has been having this wifi disconnecting issue so I'm actually using the extra warranty I bought from magnolia to get it repaired. Hopefully they will return it back to me in good shape.

It does have the typical “run to unknown area market with a ? And investigate” but the game is really good. I didn’t want to put it down. The environment is varied enough and there are enough interesting things to find (like haiku) that make exploring feel nice. I love challenging the mongols, haven’t tried stealth yet but I may just to see the animations. The JP voices are spot on and fit the characters really well. The story so far(very early on, first real main quest) is believable and well thought out. Much more so than assassin’s creed and how the protagonist always has their hand in every major battle, political move, and scandal in the time period. This is a little more nuanced I think.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It does have the typical “run to unknown area market with a ? And investigate” but the game is really good. I didn’t want to put it down. The environment is varied enough and there are enough interesting things to find (like haiku) that make exploring feel nice. I love challenging the mongols, haven’t tried stealth yet but I may just to see the animations. The JP voices are spot on and fit the characters really well. The story so far(very early on, first real main quest) is believable and well thought out. Much more so than assassin’s creed and how the protagonist always has their hand in every major battle, political move, and scandal in the time period. This is a little more nuanced I think.

I really love the JP voice acting in this game, Jin Sakai's anger is just so brilliantly done every time he's shouting down the Mongols to challenge them. Can't ever imagine playing this with the English voices. Not only does he sound more aggressive in the JP dub, but he's speaking quite disrespectfully to the Mongols in JP.

Story is actually really cool too but can't tell you why until you beat the game. You'll probably figure it out by the end though anyways.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I really love the JP voice acting in this game, Jin Sakai's anger is just so brilliantly done every time he's shouting down the Mongols to challenge them. Can't ever imagine playing this with the English voices. Not only does he sound more aggressive in the JP dub, but he's speaking quite disrespectfully to the Mongols in JP.

Story is actually really cool too but can't tell you why until you beat the game. You'll probably figure it out by the end though anyways.

The only thing that I don’t like sometimes is when I’m doing something on screen and the characters are talking in Japanese and I have to look down at the subtitles but can’t since I’m actually moving on screen. I miss a little bit of detail because of it. There has only been a few times during a side quest that I noticed it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I started playing it in Japanese but quickly turned it to english as soon as I realized how often they talk while you are playing and controlling stuff.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I started playing it in Japanese but quickly turned it to english as soon as I realized how often they talk while you are playing and controlling stuff.

That’s what I mean but the Japanese dialog is so good and fits so well I can’t change it lol

Just realized there are times when NPCs have some banter in an area or Jin makes a comment about something or talks to the horse and it’s not subtitled. That’s annoying and a very big oversight IMO. To be honest after realizing this I may have to switch to English. Helps that the game is lip synced for English too.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is that like Xbox series x quick resume?
No it lets you save your progress mid-run. There was no save feature so you would either have to keep your PS5 on (think standby too) and you couldn't play anything else or you would lose your progress mid-run, and I heard they can last like 2+ hours.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No it lets you save your progress mid-run. There was no save feature so you would either have to keep your PS5 on (think standby too) and you couldn't play anything else or you would lose your progress mid-run, and I heard they can last like 2+ hours.

Geeze ok.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Automatic updates were also an issue as they forcefully closed the game prior to running. Although, depending upon changes and save support, trying to use a save file from a prior software version may not work either.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I got further in Cyberpunk. No crashes but there's been weirdness. Strangest thing so far was that (I believe) I fought a boss? out of order. At least it didn't screw up progression once I completed the task I was supposed to do first.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So I got further in Cyberpunk. No crashes but there's been weirdness. Strangest thing so far was that (I believe) I fought a boss? out of order. At least it didn't screw up progression once I completed the task I was supposed to do first.
I was having the hardest time on PC because I was going after side quests to get money and getting wrecked.

Someone told me you just follow the story and it will put you where you should be level wise. So yea it's possible to venture off the path and do other stuff even if you aren't ready for it.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Someone told me you just follow the story and it will put you where you should be level wise. So yea it's possible to venture off the path and do other stuff even if you aren't ready for it.

Oh it was a mission. To be specific, it was the Voodoo Boys mission. You're supposed to shoot your way to the truck and then go meet the Agent, and inbetween fight the boss (?). But I somehow got into the room where the Boss? was before doing the truck. Killing it made me low on ammo so I had a hard time finishing off the remaining guys left before being allowed to use the truck.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Oh it was a mission. To be specific, it was the Voodoo Boys mission. You're supposed to shoot your way to the truck and then go meet the Agent, and inbetween fight the boss (?). But I somehow got into the room where the Boss? was before doing the truck. Killing it made me low on ammo so I had a hard time finishing off the remaining guys left before being allowed to use the truck.
Ha, I did the same thing on my first playthrough. Big fighter came at me on the upper level. Took most of my ammo defeating her.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is it just me or is the ps5 controller speaker really quiet, to the point that even set to the highest volume I can’t hear it over the game? There are supposed to be some cues and audio from it in a couple games I’ve played but I honestly didn’t hear any of them. The ps4 controller was really loud, like you could actually hear it. This thing may as well not have a speaker at all. What gives?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Is it just me or is the ps5 controller speaker really quiet, to the point that even set to the highest volume I can’t hear it over the game? There are supposed to be some cues and audio from it in a couple games I’ve played but I honestly didn’t hear any of them. The ps4 controller was really loud, like you could actually hear it. This thing may as well not have a speaker at all. What gives?
Isn't there an option to increase the volume up for the speaker? I remember it being pretty quiet too.

I recently moved and my PS5 is still in it's box because I don't have my TV yet. I'll never by extended warranty from best buy again. The repair shop they set me up with has had my TV for over a month and after they finally finished repairs they tell me they aren't sure when they can bring it back to me. I'd love to finish Kena.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Finally bought and started Demon’s Souls. I’ve only tried DS1 and Bloodborne in the past and didn’t last long before giving up. I’m like 10 hours in now without too much progress to show for it, but learning the game and really enjoying the atmosphere in all the worlds.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finally bought and started Demon’s Souls. I’ve only tried DS1 and Bloodborne in the past and didn’t last long before giving up. I’m like 10 hours in now without too much progress to show for it, but learning the game and really enjoying the atmosphere in all the worlds.
Game owns. It was my first and only souls experience. I loved everything about that game for the most part. It's challenging but it never really felt unfair.

You are right about the atmosphere. I don't think any other game can get the atmosphere down like it did. And each of the 5 realms feel so different. It was either 3-1 or 3-2 that was my favorite. Just when you first enter and the scope of the whole area is incredible looking. Same with the castle and how large it is.

Game is just awesome and I hope the open world aspect of Elden Ring is not a turnoff for me. Never once did I wish DS was an open world game. I loved how linear it was.