• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ragnarok looked noticeably better than PS4 version, but it wasn't anything like the jump in graphics from PS3 to PS4 God of War.

But yes I do agree that making it a PS4 game is definitely holding it back and is something I hate about this generation, worrying about the lowest common denominator from last gen.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ragnarok looked noticeably better than PS4 version, but it wasn't anything like the jump in graphics from PS3 to PS4 God of War.

But yes I do agree that making it a PS4 game is definitely holding it back and is something I hate about this generation, worrying about the lowest common denominator from last gen.
Yeah this one isn't going to be getting 10/10 in every review like GOW 2018 which was just mindblowing they got running 30 fps on base PS4 with how impressive it was graphically.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So I popped in HZD last night again.

First time I tried playing it was like 3 or so years ago and I got bored after like 3 hours and stopped.

Then I tried to play it again like right before TLOU2 came out and got about 3 hours into it and wasn't sucked in again, then TLOU2 came out and I never went back.

Put it in my PS5 yesterday and after like 25 minutes of copying I started it up and damn in 60fps it looks WWWWAAAAYYYY better.

Played from where I left off before and I'm starting to get pretty sucked into it so I think I'm actually going to get through it. Seeing HZD2 videos makes me wanna play it also.

Reactions: Saylick

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So I popped in HZD last night again.

First time I tried playing it was like 3 or so years ago and I got bored after like 3 hours and stopped.

Then I tried to play it again like right before TLOU2 came out and got about 3 hours into it and wasn't sucked in again, then TLOU2 came out and I never went back.

Put it in my PS5 yesterday and after like 25 minutes of copying I started it up and damn in 60fps it looks WWWWAAAAYYYY better.

Played from where I left off before and I'm starting to get pretty sucked into it so I think I'm actually going to get through it. Seeing HZD2 videos makes me wanna play it also.
Ha you're making me want to install it again now. Maybe 4-5 years since I've played it but I think I'm really close to the end anyway. I really enjoyed the gameplay but the story didn't do much for me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
OS update tommorow includes the M2 SSD support.
I've had my SSD at the ready waiting for the update. I'd like to remove the external drive that I've got attached as it's kind of a pain if I ever have to move the console... especially when you add in how the stand doesn't attach when lying horizontally. (It only attaches when standing up.)

Reactions: blckgrffn

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
Update's available now. They changed it so that any game with both a PS4 and PS5 version installed have their own seperate icon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
About time they did that.

So what ssd is everyone adding to their ps5? You basically can just add another m2 in addition to the stock one, not replacing it? Because if it's being replaced 2tb or 4 tb nvme's are expensive.

Trying to decide if I want a 1tb additional or 2tb. But to be honest I don't even have that many titles installed.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Why would one ever want to play the PS4 version on their PS5 when there is a PS5 version available?
I think they did this because I read in the past that some games were being launched as the PS4 version by default rather than the ps5 one because the system would download both options but not make it clear which icon was the right one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think they did this because I read in the past that some games were being launched as the PS4 version by default rather than the ps5 one because the system would download both options but not make it clear which icon was the right one.
But why even bother with the PS4 version at all? Like once it's "converted" why is the PS4 version even an option?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
But why even bother with the PS4 version at all? Like once it's "converted" why is the PS4 version even an option?
Save files. If you want to import but don't have a PS4 any more, you need both versions side by side.

Also, the store made it confusing AF (imo) as to which you were downloading at the outset. It was possible to get the PS4 version, then decide you really wanted the PS5 version, then you had to figure out which to delete. Etc.

This is a good and basic thing.

Reactions: purbeast0

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It's nice that it's an option, but PCIE 4.0 NVME storage is way too expensive right now for me to want to buy a drive for my PS5. I'll just treat it like I have my PC for the last 6 years: e.g. only installing what I'm playing to the SSD. I tend to only play one big game at a time anyways. Though that's a lot easier on my PS5 with 660GB of space on the SSD for games vs using the 250GB SSD I have had in my PC since 2015.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
It's nice that it's an option, but PCIE 4.0 NVME storage is way too expensive right now for me to want to buy a drive for my PS5. I'll just treat it like I have my PC for the last 6 years: e.g. only installing what I'm playing to the SSD. I tend to only play one big game at a time anyways. Though that's a lot easier on my PS5 with 660GB of space on the SSD for games vs using the 250GB SSD I have had in my PC since 2015.
I was that guy who put a 100GB enterprise Intel SSD in their PS3 :D I played a handful of games and mostly used it for blurays and the biggest improvements were simply the system updates were fast.

I'll stay in this boat with you - having ~5 or so games installed at a time. Thankfully I've got an unmetered Internet connection, sadly somewhat rare here in the US of A.

I think in a couple years when we can get a 2TB NVME fast storage drive for ~$100 (I mean, maybe? lol) then this will start to look like a really compelling feature.

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
So now I am playing the Doom Eternal DLC. The DLC ramps up the difficulty even higher, getting to the point where even the mob encounters might be too much for me even though I'm only playing on normal.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS