Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So I popped in HZD last night again.

First time I tried playing it was like 3 or so years ago and I got bored after like 3 hours and stopped.

Then I tried to play it again like right before TLOU2 came out and got about 3 hours into it and wasn't sucked in again, then TLOU2 came out and I never went back.

Put it in my PS5 yesterday and after like 25 minutes of copying I started it up and damn in 60fps it looks WWWWAAAAYYYY better.

Played from where I left off before and I'm starting to get pretty sucked into it so I think I'm actually going to get through it. Seeing HZD2 videos makes me wanna play it also.

Reactions: Saylick

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So I popped in HZD last night again.

First time I tried playing it was like 3 or so years ago and I got bored after like 3 hours and stopped.

Then I tried to play it again like right before TLOU2 came out and got about 3 hours into it and wasn't sucked in again, then TLOU2 came out and I never went back.

Put it in my PS5 yesterday and after like 25 minutes of copying I started it up and damn in 60fps it looks WWWWAAAAYYYY better.

Played from where I left off before and I'm starting to get pretty sucked into it so I think I'm actually going to get through it. Seeing HZD2 videos makes me wanna play it also.
Ha you're making me want to install it again now. Maybe 4-5 years since I've played it but I think I'm really close to the end anyway. I really enjoyed the gameplay but the story didn't do much for me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
OS update tommorow includes the M2 SSD support.

I've had my SSD at the ready waiting for the update. I'd like to remove the external drive that I've got attached as it's kind of a pain if I ever have to move the console... especially when you add in how the stand doesn't attach when lying horizontally. (It only attaches when standing up.)

Reactions: blckgrffn

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Update's available now. They changed it so that any game with both a PS4 and PS5 version installed have their own seperate icon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
About time they did that.

So what ssd is everyone adding to their ps5? You basically can just add another m2 in addition to the stock one, not replacing it? Because if it's being replaced 2tb or 4 tb nvme's are expensive.

Trying to decide if I want a 1tb additional or 2tb. But to be honest I don't even have that many titles installed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Why would one ever want to play the PS4 version on their PS5 when there is a PS5 version available?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Why would one ever want to play the PS4 version on their PS5 when there is a PS5 version available?
I think they did this because I read in the past that some games were being launched as the PS4 version by default rather than the ps5 one because the system would download both options but not make it clear which icon was the right one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think they did this because I read in the past that some games were being launched as the PS4 version by default rather than the ps5 one because the system would download both options but not make it clear which icon was the right one.
But why even bother with the PS4 version at all? Like once it's "converted" why is the PS4 version even an option?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
But why even bother with the PS4 version at all? Like once it's "converted" why is the PS4 version even an option?

It makes more obvious that there's two versions installed. Before it's possbile that people were unknowingly using the PS4 version.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Save files. If you want to import but don't have a PS4 any more, you need both versions side by side.

Also, the store made it confusing AF (imo) as to which you were downloading at the outset. It was possible to get the PS4 version, then decide you really wanted the PS5 version, then you had to figure out which to delete. Etc.

This is a good and basic thing.

Reactions: purbeast0

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It's nice that it's an option, but PCIE 4.0 NVME storage is way too expensive right now for me to want to buy a drive for my PS5. I'll just treat it like I have my PC for the last 6 years: e.g. only installing what I'm playing to the SSD. I tend to only play one big game at a time anyways. Though that's a lot easier on my PS5 with 660GB of space on the SSD for games vs using the 250GB SSD I have had in my PC since 2015.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
It's nice that it's an option, but PCIE 4.0 NVME storage is way too expensive right now for me to want to buy a drive for my PS5. I'll just treat it like I have my PC for the last 6 years: e.g. only installing what I'm playing to the SSD. I tend to only play one big game at a time anyways. Though that's a lot easier on my PS5 with 660GB of space on the SSD for games vs using the 250GB SSD I have had in my PC since 2015.

I was that guy who put a 100GB enterprise Intel SSD in their PS3 :D I played a handful of games and mostly used it for blurays and the biggest improvements were simply the system updates were fast.

I'll stay in this boat with you - having ~5 or so games installed at a time. Thankfully I've got an unmetered Internet connection, sadly somewhat rare here in the US of A.

I think in a couple years when we can get a 2TB NVME fast storage drive for ~$100 (I mean, maybe? lol) then this will start to look like a really compelling feature.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So now I am playing the Doom Eternal DLC. The DLC ramps up the difficulty even higher, getting to the point where even the mob encounters might be too much for me even though I'm only playing on normal.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
So now I am playing the Doom Eternal DLC. The DLC ramps up the difficulty even higher, getting to the point where even the mob encounters might be too much for me even though I'm only playing on normal.

Eternal's DLC is great. You'll start to get a lot better at the game overall dealing with it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That Kena game is getting pretty good reviews for a new IP from a new dev. Once I finish HZD I will probably grab it.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That Kena game is getting pretty good reviews for a new IP from a new dev. Once I finish HZD I will probably grab it.
Normally when reviews are embargoed until release, it's not a good sign. In this case, it might just be because Ember Labs has never developed and published a game before.

I'm interested in it. It gives me some Zelda vibes, which is one of my all time favorite video game series. Might not pick it up until a big sale, though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I picked it up last night and played for a few hours. Overall, I'd say it's not too shabby. The voice acting is alright; the kids stick out like a sore thumb a bit in that regard. The combat does feel a little shallow so far. I fought that Wood Knight that was shown in promo videos, and honestly... it's so much easier to just roll behind him and keep smacking him than try to dodge and attack methodically.

I did get stuck once, and you could argue that was due to the direction not being tight. In the situation, I was given a new ability and told that it would help me clear up some blight that I had passed earlier. Great, so I warped to that area, and proceeded to have no idea what to do. Well, it turns out that you had to go back to that area on foot using a different path. I can't be entirely sure if the game communicated this and I just missed it, or if it wasn't communicated well.

Reactions: purbeast0

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't enjoy breath of the wild because it didn't feel like what I enjoyed in the N64 version of ocarina of time or Majora's mask. But I'll be checking out some playthroughs of this Kena game at some point.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I didn't enjoy breath of the wild because it didn't feel like what I enjoyed in the N64 version of ocarina of time or Majora's mask. But I'll be checking out some playthroughs of this Kena game at some point.

You ever played Okami? It's very inspired by Zelda without being a clone of it (like say 3D Dot Heroes on PS3 was). Goes on sale all the time on PSN for PS4.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You ever played Okami? It's very inspired by Zelda without being a clone of it (like say 3D Dot Heroes on PS3 was). Goes on sale all the time on PSN for PS4.

I did play okami on the Wii back when I was a teen. I liked that game a lot and I remember my mother made comments that the art style and dog were cute. Strange to hear from parents that despised me playing video games as a kid.

I saw some playthroughs of Kena and I like the gameplay and art direction there too. The story is more synchronized and there's a sense of direction even though there is an open world. Like it's clear what you need to do.

But you can definitely tell it's not like other AAA titles, there was a budget, etc. But from what I've seen they did a pretty decent job for an indie title.

Combat and skills may seem a bit lacking overall and the parry system isn't always accurate from the YouTubers I've watched doing streams.

If I buy it I'll probably buy it on PS5. I wanted it on PC but it doesn't support ultrawide fully and there are issues with the FOV unless you apply a third party patch after each update.

Edit: Did end up buying Kena on PS5. I like the dual sense features and it is ashame they don't work on PC. Besides the PC version is only on Epic store right now.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. I hear combat gets more difficult but I think I like that it makes it a bit more challenging.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Walmart had a drop on Thursday night... blew through their entire October supply in 4 minutes. I think I even saw a couple posts with November delivery date estimates.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Walmart had a drop on Thursday night... blew through their entire October supply in 4 minutes. I think I even saw a couple posts with November delivery date estimates.
Indeed they did. Xbox too. I tried getting both the Halo Xbox and the regular series x for 4 to 5 waves of that drop. No luck.