Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Indeed they did. Xbox too. I tried getting both the Halo Xbox and the regular series x for 4 to 5 waves of that drop. No luck.

Damn I think Best Buy had both PS5 and Series X in actual stores on Thursday so you could do old school style and line up for one then.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Eternal's DLC is great. You'll start to get a lot better at the game overall dealing with it.

Or you just use the Sentinel Armor, heh. Used it in the final part of Part 1 because I didn't see an angle to get enough health/armor to survive since you can't really flame belch spirit buffed demons.

I imagine the game is a lot easier if you used a KB&M.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Best Buy cracking down on PS5 and Series X scalpers by becoming the scalpers themselves in forcing you to buy a $200 membership to order a PS5 or Series X tomorrow.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Best Buy cracking down on PS5 and Series X scalpers by becoming the scalpers themselves in forcing you to buy a $200 membership to order a PS5 or Series X tomorrow.

Sheesh and I thought forced bundles was bad.

Has anyone done the SSD upgrade on their ps5? A friend of mine got one and was asking me about it because I’m more of a tech person than he is but I honestly don’t know much about it. I know you need specific drives that have certain specs and that’s fine but I guess we are wondering if you have to backup your stuff or if you can then restore. Is it even worth it? The drives are kind of expensive even for 1TB which isn’t much more than the drive that comes with the console really. The other option is using an external and just keeping what you are playing now on the internal drive correct? Similar to the series x where native games have to be in internal SSD storage.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Sheesh and I thought forced bundles was bad.

Has anyone done the SSD upgrade on their ps5? A friend of mine got one and was asking me about it because I’m more of a tech person than he is but I honestly don’t know much about it. I know you need specific drives that have certain specs and that’s fine but I guess we are wondering if you have to backup your stuff or if you can then restore. Is it even worth it? The drives are kind of expensive even for 1TB which isn’t much more than the drive that comes with the console really. The other option is using an external and just keeping what you are playing now on the internal drive correct? Similar to the series x where native games have to be in internal SSD storage.
I added the WD SN850 drive to mine. You need a PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe drive. If you've added a NVMe drive to your pc, then you're half way there. The hardest part for me was getting the cover off my PS5. Damn thing didn't want to come off. There are tons of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. Here's one from Sony:
Even with the issue I had with the cover, It was back on the shelf in 20 minutes. Be sure to upgrade the firmware to the PS5 first, and you might want to get a drive that comes with a heatsink. I got a drive without a heatsink, and got the heatsink separately, because I couldn't find a drive that came with the heatsink in stock. This youtube site tested quite a few drives for use in the PS5.

Just so you know, external drives on the PS5 are only for PS4 games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I added the WD SN850 drive to mine. You need a PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe drive. If you've added a NVMe drive to your pc, then you're half way there. The hardest part for me was getting the cover off my PS5. Damn thing didn't want to come off. There are tons of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. Here's one from Sony:
Even with the issue I had with the cover, It was back on the shelf in 20 minutes. Be sure to upgrade the firmware to the PS5 first, and you might want to get a drive that comes with a heatsink. I got a drive without a heatsink, and got the heatsink separately, because I couldn't find a drive that came with the heatsink in stock. This youtube site tested quite a few drives for use in the PS5.

Just so you know, external drives on the PS5 are only for PS4 games.

The install is simple, I built all my PCs. That’s why I was asked. I didn’t know much about what was and was not compatible because I don’t own a Ps5 myself. Once I started looking I thought to myself that all the drives were expensive because of their compatibility.

And ya, the external can let you transfer Ps5 games to it but you have to put them back on the SSD to play. Xbox series x is the same way, I know that process. However I personally think the SDDs are too expensive for the size offering. With an external you can just store everything and keep the couple games you are playing currently on the internal until prices come down. I did buy the Xbox series x storage card and felt it was expensive too but I did it while I had a ton of points to use after buying the console etc and got it at somewhat of a discount.

Ultimately if he wants to buy the drive we will go through the quick install, I think I’m going to recommend a big external drive to offload games you aren’t going to play right now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't see the need to by a bigger ssd for the ps5 for myself yet. Not enough games to warrant it. I uninstalled what I don't play anymore.

Just to be clear, it's replacing the original nvme, not adding another one to the system? At least that's what I did on PS4 when I got a bigger drive.

Replacing it would mean I would want a 2tb nvme at least, which is still pricey.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't see the need to by a bigger ssd for the ps5 for myself yet. Not enough games to warrant it. I uninstalled what I don't play anymore.

Just to be clear, it's replacing the original nvme, not adding another one to the system? At least that's what I did on PS4 when I got a bigger drive.

Replacing it would mean I would want a 2tb nvme at least, which is still pricey.

It's in addition. The base drive is IIRC soldered onto the board.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Started playing Cyberpunk. It runs okay, frame rate is good but there's been some weird gliches here and there. No crashes. Biggest annoying thing is the lengthy title loading time and then there's like another 15-20 second loading time when loading the save.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Started playing Cyberpunk. It runs okay, frame rate is good but there's been some weird gliches here and there. No crashes. Biggest annoying thing is the lengthy title loading time and then there's like another 15-20 second loading time when loading the save.
Really? Takes seconds on my PC. I thought the PS5 was supposed to have super fast loading?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Really? Takes seconds on my PC. I thought the PS5 was supposed to have super fast loading?
For consoles they need to update the game to the next gen version, rtx and full use of the nvme. It was supposed to happen this summer but didn't. Not sure when that will take place now.

It's running on ps5 as a PS4 game with better performance after the latest patches.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I just tested the loading time from hitting continue to when the prompt to start showed up. Was about 17 seconds.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
For consoles they need to update the game to the next gen version, rtx and full use of the nvme. It was supposed to happen this summer but didn't. Not sure when that will take place now.

It's running on ps5 as a PS4 game with better performance after the latest patches.

By the time it happens it will be free lol.

I seriously gave up on the game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
By a stroke of luck I managed to actually buy a ps5 without resorting to a scalper. A contact at the local GameStop told me they had a return come in for the disc version and their customer wanted a series x for Halo. Apparently the lady didn’t realize the game was Xbox exclusive when she purchased the ps5 online and had to do a return.

Anyway I had to buy the bundle with an extra controller and two games but screw it, I picked it up with Ratchet and Clank and Ghost of Tsushima. Ratchet and clank is really awesome. Especially since I can play in Fidelity mode at 40fps if I have 120hz enabled on the console. It’s very playable this way and looks phenomenal.

Tried a bit of Astro’s playroom to get a feel for the controller. I see why people like it a lot. I’m not sure the analog sticks (the rubber and the shape) is as good as the Xbox series controller but the sticks have a better tension to them(Xbox analog sticks are too loose, but I like the concave shape and the rubber feels better. It certainly feels higher quality (it’s a bit heavier which makes it feel less like a toy) than my series x controller and the buttons have better spacing(not as cramped). I just hope the rubber doesn’t wear out as easily as the ps4 controllers did for me. I think the Xbox design might be better for shooters and racing games, partially due to the triggers having a long and smooth pull to them. Can modulate the throttle more easily in a racing game I think. The dualsense may be close to my elite series 2 controller in overall quality though. Pretty impressed there. Wasn’t sold on the white controller so I grabbed a black one to use as my main. I like the white console though.

Have not played ghost of Tsushima, will wait until I finish ratchet and clank.

Waiting patiently for horizon forbidden west now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
By a stroke of luck I managed to actually buy a ps5 without resorting to a scalper. A contact at the local GameStop told me they had a return come in for the disc version and their customer wanted a series x for Halo. Apparently the lady didn’t realize the game was Xbox exclusive when she purchased the ps5 online and had to do a return.

Anyway I had to buy the bundle with an extra controller and two games but screw it, I picked it up with Ratchet and Clank and Ghost of Tsushima. Ratchet and clank is really awesome. Especially since I can play in Fidelity mode at 40fps if I have 120hz enabled on the console. It’s very playable this way and looks phenomenal.

Tried a bit of Astro’s playroom to get a feel for the controller. I see why people like it a lot. I’m not sure the analog sticks (the rubber and the shape) is as good as the Xbox series controller but the sticks have a better tension to them(Xbox analog sticks are too loose, but I like the concave shape and the rubber feels better. It certainly feels higher quality (it’s a bit heavier which makes it feel less like a toy) than my series x controller and the buttons have better spacing(not as cramped). I just hope the rubber doesn’t wear out as easily as the ps4 controllers did for me. I think the Xbox design might be better for shooters and racing games, partially due to the triggers having a long and smooth pull to them. Can modulate the throttle more easily in a racing game I think. The dualsense may be close to my elite series 2 controller in overall quality though. Pretty impressed there. Wasn’t sold on the white controller so I grabbed a black one to use as my main. I like the white console though.

You'll like ghost of Tsushima. While it may seem repetitive if you go and do a ton of the side quests, the combat is where the game excels. The environment is also beautiful and some of the side stories that deal with the Japanese legends are cool.

I haven't bought ratchet and clank yet. My lg c8 has been having this wifi disconnecting issue so I'm actually using the extra warranty I bought from magnolia to get it repaired. Hopefully they will return it back to me in good shape.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Games have to be specifically tailored to take advantage of the fast storage. This is why playing the PS4 version of FF7 Remastered on the PS5 was a little bit faster, but not substantially; however, when Square-Enix released the PS5 patch for the game, load times went from around 20-25 seconds to about 1-2 seconds.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Ghost of Tsushima is really cool. I love going loud mode, eg just openly challenging everyone when I get to an enemy camp. The stealth is pretty boring so I avoid using it. I have to strongly recommend playing with the Japanese voices though. Jin Sakai sounds too nice in English, in Japanese his anger really comes through more when he's going and yelling 'Shobu shiro!' and so on at the Mongols when he goes to challenge them, really sounds like a Kurosawa samurai movie if you play with JP voices.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Ghost of Tsushima is really cool. I love going loud mode, eg just openly challenging everyone when I get to an enemy camp. The stealth is pretty boring so I avoid using it. I have to strongly recommend playing with the Japanese voices though. Jin Sakai sounds too nice in English, in Japanese his anger really comes through more when he's going and yelling 'Shobu shiro!' and so on at the Mongols when he goes to challenge them, really sounds like a Kurosawa samurai movie if you play with JP voices.

Yeah I was planning to use japanese voices for this but thanks for the heads up. I tend to like Japanese VAs for anything that is a period film/anime/game or if it’s supposed to be based in Japan. It just makes more sense to me. There are some rare exceptions such as the Persona games.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yeah I was planning to use japanese voices for this but thanks for the heads up. I tend to like Japanese VAs for anything that is a period film/anime/game or if it’s supposed to be based in Japan. It just makes more sense to me. There are some rare exceptions such as the Persona games.

Yeah Persona games ever since 3 have had top notch US voice acting. Though the Japanese voices are often more exaggerated. Like a lot of people who played Persona 4 on the PS2 in English hate how they re-did Chie's voice in Persona 4 Golden in English, but the newer VA sounds much more in line with how Chie sounds in the JP language original of Persona 4 and P4G. Or Rise in Persona 4 sounds over the top kawaii with this super high pitch voice. Also Ann's cute American girl speech is exaggerated a lot in the JP VA for Persona 5, though the biggest difference is Morgana. Morgana always calls himself 'wagahai' which sounds very arrogant like Morgana thinks of himself as a king or something where a more typical pronoun for 'I' in Japanese would be 'ore', 'boku', or 'watashi'. Also a reference to a famous Japanese book called 'wagahai wa neko de aru' (I am a Cat) about a cat owned by a regular family who the cat thinks is royalty, so in turn, he is too. Of course none of that stuff is easily translated to English and where that book has no cultural significance.

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn