Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Man Astro's Playroom is nostalgic as hell with all the Playstation consoles and accessories you have to find. Pretty cool pack-in game.

Reactions: purbeast0

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Kind of sad to sell my PS4 since it had such amazing games, but knew I wasn't going to touch it any more since my PS5 plays all those PS4 games the same or better. At least got every penny back I paid for the system in 2016 and kept my copy of Uncharted 4 lol.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Never had a PlayStation, got a PS5 early mostly to catch up on all the missed titles. Ran through Ghosts of Tsushima, fantastic game, best open world game I've played in forever and that genre had gotten so aimless and fatiguing. Now I started God of War and it feels so bland and clunky. =/ Maybe time for Spiderman.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Never had a PlayStation, got a PS5 early mostly to catch up on all the missed titles. Ran through Ghosts of Tsushima, fantastic game, best open world game I've played in forever and that genre had gotten so aimless and fatiguing. Now I started God of War and it feels so bland and clunky. =/ Maybe time for Spiderman.

Wow I never heard God of War described that way, most seem to love it, myself included. I think its combat is better than Ghost of Tsushima and the valkyrie fights in GOW are awesome. I think God of War is way better on Give Me a Challenge than on the regular difficulty though. God of War is probably a bad game to play right after Ghost of Tsushima though since they're both big open world games with tons of combat, though God of War is a lot less dependent on parrying than Ghost is. I think I'd come back to God of War in a few months instead of playing it right after Tsushima.

Curious, did you like playing samurai or ninja style more? I gotta go samurai myself and hate when I have to do an area with stealth for story reasons. Definitely a game I'm so glad I waited until I could get a PS5 to play, no way it would have been near as good at an unsteady 30 fps on my PS4 Slim vs the rock solid 60 fps I get on PS5.

Also since you have never had a Playstation, make sure to go on the Playstation Store and claim your free copy of Ratchet & Clank this month. It's a really cool game Sony is giving away this month since so many of us are stuck inside because of the pandemic (they gave away some really good games last year during the April lockdown too).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Playing Ratchet and Clank in 30fps is tough. Sucks there is no 60fps patch for it, and surprised it ran at 30fps on PS4.

And I'd say God of War is better than Ghost of Tsushima, as much as I loved Ghost of Tsushima.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Wow I never heard God of War described that way, most seem to love it, myself included. I think its combat is better than Ghost of Tsushima and the valkyrie fights in GOW are awesome. I think God of War is way better on Give Me a Challenge than on the regular difficulty though. God of War is probably a bad game to play right after Ghost of Tsushima though since they're both big open world games with tons of combat, though God of War is a lot less dependent on parrying than Ghost is. I think I'd come back to God of War in a few months instead of playing it right after Tsushima.

Curious, did you like playing samurai or ninja style more? I gotta go samurai myself and hate when I have to do an area with stealth for story reasons. Definitely a game I'm so glad I waited until I could get a PS5 to play, no way it would have been near as good at an unsteady 30 fps on my PS4 Slim vs the rock solid 60 fps I get on PS5.

Also since you have never had a Playstation, make sure to go on the Playstation Store and claim your free copy of Ratchet & Clank this month. It's a really cool game Sony is giving away this month since so many of us are stuck inside because of the pandemic (they gave away some really good games last year during the April lockdown too).
I think coming off Ghosts everything just feels less fluid and streamlined. GoT strips away a lot of the excessive inventory and skill management (which I get a lot of people like) and lets you focus on the gameplay and experience, which frankly between the art direction and being a samurai is way cooler than brooding muscle bro--although the irony is GoW very much seems like a classic Lone Wolf and Cub storyline. I can see where GoW probably has more combat depth with more varied combos and GoT's power progression can make the game too easy. I also started on Give Me a Challenge and turned it down because it just felt like the enemies were all damage sponges which I can't stand (another reason I really like GoT).

Also all I can hear is Teal'c.

I played Samurai style more but not exclusively, although once <event -> act 3> I was a little looser with ninja. And once you get your power up it's just faster and more entertaining to use swordplay anyway.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You may need a linked amex card.
Screen_Shot_2021-02-22_at_1.45.54_PM.png

I was looking into this a little more today, and the reason why it didn't work is because my card isn't eligible. That's because it's a cashback-only card, and to make this work, you need to have a card whose points can be spent at merchants such as Amazon.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I was looking into this a little more today, and the reason why it didn't work is because my card isn't eligible. That's because it's a cashback-only card, and to make this work, you need to have a card whose points can be spent at merchants such as Amazon.
Ah that makes sense. I'm still seeing it. It's basically a general 20% off thing on Amazon, not just related to games.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I also started on Give Me a Challenge and turned it down because it just felt like the enemies were all damage sponges which I can't stand (another reason I really like GoT).

I'm usually not a fan of hard modes in games, for instance NieR Automata's hard mode is terrible, just makes everyone else a bullet sponge while you're a weakling. But God of War's hard mode felt fair. Guess I just really liked the controls. Is Ghost's hard mode any good? I'm about halfway to liberating the south island and most of my fights are getting easy now with all the stances and upgrades I have unlocked, though I know that's still the early part of the game.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I am making progress in Bloodborne but it's slow going because I am just not getting it. I'm only progressing because I am way overleveled. Every time I die, I've been going back and power leveling so that I increase a level or two. Can't imagine what it would have been like with the long loading times on the game's launch.

One part that's a little weird is I beat a boss and after that there's no obvious place to progress. I started doing a Chalice Dungeon but I cannot beat the third level's boss. Went back to the main game and ended up having to look up in a guide - a new area opens up far back after beating the boss. Like if it wasn't for walkthroughs I would have never looked there.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm usually not a fan of hard modes in games, for instance NieR Automata's hard mode is terrible, just makes everyone else a bullet sponge while you're a weakling. But God of War's hard mode felt fair. Guess I just really liked the controls. Is Ghost's hard mode any good? I'm about halfway to liberating the south island and most of my fights are getting easy now with all the stances and upgrades I have unlocked, though I know that's still the early part of the game.
Whoops thought you finished the game. I played hard mode the whole way. I found the game way too hard the first few hours and then fine for most of it and too easy late game (but I was full clearing and chasing armors). I'm not a console gamer and am terrible at button combos so that was probably most of my difficulty early on. Ghosts doesn't damage sponge enemies w/ increasing difficulty, I think it makes you both squishier.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Whoops thought you finished the game. I played hard mode the whole way. I found the game way too hard the first few hours and then fine for most of it and too easy late game (but I was full clearing and chasing armors). I'm not a console gamer and am terrible at button combos so that was probably most of my difficulty early on. Ghosts doesn't damage sponge enemies w/ increasing difficulty, I think it makes you both squishier.

Hah so those bamboo strikes must have been hell.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay I am officially hype for PSVR2 after they revealed what the controllers look like and how they work. The controllers were by far the downside of the PSVR but it still worked okay for most games. But for others it held it back.

I have confidence the headset will also be awesome based on what they've done with the controllers. I hope Moss 2 and Astro Bot 2 are launch titles. I will be day one'ing it whenever it comes out.

03_withnotice.jpg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Hey I managed to beat the final boss of Bloodborne! At Level 103, but who's counting.

Kinda BS that the game automatically puts you into NG+ after completing the game. Means if I am going to do the DLC content I have to play most of the game again I think.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Hey I managed to beat the final boss of Bloodborne! At Level 103, but who's counting.

Kinda BS that the game automatically puts you into NG+ after completing the game. Means if I am going to do the DLC content I have to play most of the game again I think.
Congrats! Did you know there are 3 endings? Keep going! :D

(PS, if you do actually keep playing to get the other endings, you might want to look up how to do the third; it involves acquiring and consuming 3 of 4 particular secret items (which you may have found 1 or more of in your playthrough))

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Nice. The DLC is amazing though, might have to do that NG+ playthrough too lol.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Congrats! Did you know there are 3 endings? Keep going! :D

(PS, if you do actually keep playing to get the other endings, you might want to look up how to do the third; it involves acquiring and consuming 3 of 4 particular secret items (which you may have found 1 or more of in your playthrough))

I looked it up, and I am pretty sure I did get one but the game took it away with going to NG+ (?)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
For anyone with a PS5 who hasn't played Ratchet & Clank yet, it's getting a 60 fps patch next month. And if you don't have it yet hurry the hell up and claim it on PSN because it stops being free to claim at 8PM PST on March 31st.

Reactions: blckgrffn

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Managed to unlock the start of the Bloodborne DLC. Ludwig though... haha. I wasn't even able to save the blood echoes by warping out since it would hit me. Tried like 4 times too.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Turns out the 4k60 update for Ratchet & Clank for PS5 just released a couple of hours ago

Nice, I’m five or six worlds in and stopped partly because the frame rate was annoying me, partly because I already played on PS2. This will be enough for me to go back and finish it.