Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Weird, Best Buy said they were going to do a PS5 drop at 9 Eastern and never did. Still says "Coming Soon"

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Weird, Best Buy said they were going to do a PS5 drop at 9 Eastern and never did. Still says "Coming Soon"
Yup been like that for a while on my end. My sister wants one and she's a nurse so she's never able to get online to check. I've put more effort trying to get one for her than I did for myself and still no luck.

I got so lucky with mine though, same with the series x.

They may drop at best buy randomly but I need to get back on my work meeting calls.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I will say this the drop of the 3060TI was supposed to be at 9am eastern the day it was released and it dropped well after that.

Today even worse because they are supposed to drop the Xbox Series X, PS5 and possibly some more 3rd Party 3060Tis.

I managed to finally snag an Xbox Series X on GameStop’s restock on the 13th. It shipped today and will be here Friday.

Patiently waiting for Best Buy to drop the PS5s. They probably shouldn’t have schedule to do all these drops on the same day. There are likely tens of thousands of bots trying to buy all of the above in all varieties. Couple with all the live people.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
To be fair, the tweet said "after 8am CST" so it didn't specifically say at 9ET.

But I get that everyone expected it to be 9ET because of them giving the time.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
To be fair, the tweet said "after 8am CST" so it didn't specifically say at 9ET.

But I get that everyone expected it to be 9ET because of them giving the time.

They seem to do this lately and then just randomly drop later in the day. Makes it even easier for the bots to scoop up everything as the live people stop trying after a few hours.

Edit: it just dropped and I’m probably SOL. I loathe this system they use.

Edit: not sure why I have even bothered. Same bullshit issues as always.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The bots have seriously ramped up since launch day.
I don't think it's mainly bots I just think that is the excuse people are making because they can't get them.

I just think the demand is much larger than the supply and that is the main reason.

And now that getting PS5 and XSX is "a thing" people who have no interest in it are trying to get them just to sell them. I mean they even made an SNL skit about trying to get a PS5 because of how hard they are to get.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I don't think it's mainly bots I just think that is the excuse people are making because they can't get them.

I just think the demand is much larger than the supply and that is the main reason.

And now that getting PS5 and XSX is "a thing" people who have no interest in it are trying to get them just to sell them. I mean they even made an SNL skit about trying to get a PS5 because of how hard they are to get.

The bots are very much real all you have to do is troll through the discord channels of the bots. There’s a reason why most bots have tripled or more on the bot resale markets.

Some stores like Best Buy do better again then then others but it makes things overly complicated.Bots completely dominate the unannounced restocks. Most restocks aren’t necessarily announced.

The other issue with bots is they exacerbate the stability issues of websites.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The bots are very much real all you have to do is troll through the discord channels of the bots. There’s a reason why most bots have tripled or more on the bot resale markets.

Some stores like Best Buy do better again then then others but it makes things overly complicated.Bots completely dominate the unannounced restocks. Most restocks aren’t necessarily announced.

The other issue with bots is they exacerbate the stability issues of websites.
I never said they weren't real. I know they are real. I know people who run them. But they also fail a lot and they don't work nearly all the time like you would think. I know a guy who has probably the best bot out there and it's super tight and IP restricted and it fails more often than not.

The main issue is the demand for them is just through the roof.

I mean when Meijer had a queue system up for PS5's like a week ago or so, it let you know how large the queue was. My friend was on it and said it was over 1.7 million.

There are a lot more REAL people going for these than you probably are thinking.

People also want to cry about everything and need an excuse as to how they failed to get one. So they use the bot excuse.

I've gotten multiple consoles at multiple drops and I'm not using a bot or anything. I'm just informed and know how to work these pages and get lucky. I've still failed a lot.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
All the ones they sold today shipped after Xmas. It said so right on the listing page before they went live.

This is true. I suspect this is stock that was destined for stores in early January but they decided to sell online instead.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
All the ones they sold today shipped after Xmas. It said so right on the listing page before they went live.

They are getting greedy knowing bots will buy hundreds of them anyway. They are actually sold out and unavailable.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They are getting greedy knowing bots will buy hundreds of them anyway. They are actually sold out and unavailable.
Again bots are not nearly as big a deal as many of you think they are. It's just the demand is high.

Every console I've gotten aside from preorder has been for a future date and they have all came through as promised.

Best Buy, Walmart, and Target all had deals with Sony and MS that they would ONLY sell online sales and then online for in store pickup. This was to prevent large crowds gathering because of covid. None of those stores were to sell any at the store from behind the counter.

Of course there are stories of that happening but they were not supposed to and it is a huge YMMV. Best Buy hasn't done that once. Walmart has done it at the discretion of the manager. Same with Target.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Of course there are stories of that happening but they were not supposed to and it is a huge YMMV. Best Buy hasn't done that once. Walmart has done it at the discretion of the manager. Same with Target.

Speaking of which... Florida Woman (holding a baby btw) got angry and punched a cop when told they didn't have any PS5s left at Walmart.

• Haha
Reactions: purbeast0

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Again bots are not nearly as big a deal as many of you think they are. It's just the demand is high.

Every console I've gotten aside from preorder has been for a future date and they have all came through as promised.

Best Buy, Walmart, and Target all had deals with Sony and MS that they would ONLY sell online sales and then online for in store pickup. This was to prevent large crowds gathering because of covid. None of those stores were to sell any at the store from behind the counter.

You want to think that but bots are the number one reason you can’t get anything. They clog the website for one and they take inventory that would have been for actual customers for two.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Software sales for ps5 are weak too.

Figures they've taken from Famitsu show that the system has sold 213,000 units in Japan since launch, but the sales for physical releases of the system's top 3 games (Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and an unnamed third-party title) come to just 63,000 units.

Comparably, the Switch sold 525,000 units in its first month, and saw that almost matched with 509,000 sales for its top 3 games.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004