Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Pretty much. I only play shooters and I simply can't play Destiny as it's a 30FPS game. I absolutely love sci fi shooters too but that game quickly got old because of the framerate. Played a few hours and that's it. Battlefield V got all my time then COD and Apex Legends now. I just won't buy a game if it's only 30fps going forward, that was my first and last one. That was when I first got the PS4Pro.

December 8 Destiny 2 update for ps5 and Xbox series x for 4K 60fps. Hopefully they fix the HDR too.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think the last of us part 2 load times on ps5 are a bit better than what I remember on ps4. It still takes some time but it seems to be a good 30 seconds quicker to do the initial load into the game.

There haven't been any enhancements or patch to the game for ps5 yet either. If they do something and I'm sure they will, they will probably remaster it or upgrade it. Same with Ghosts of tsushima which will probably get an upgrade patch too.

Speaking of unimpressed, I felt the same continuing where I left off on red dead 2 on the Series X.

It loads a tiny bit quicker but not as fast as I imagined it would, comparing to how I remember it loading on the OneX.
Oh I assumed there was some kind of PS5 enhancement for TLOU2 and it had just downloaded it. It kind of stinks there aren't just "free" things added to PS4 games like how XSX gives the older games "free" enhancements.

Nov 20, 2009
Not sure if anyone else already saw this (I looked back a few pages, but didn't see anything posted).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-5-fan-lottery-responsible-for-noisier-consoles

Gyw68AYJ4aXPNYaopZXopA-970-80.jpg
So, unlike the XSX fan issue, it isn't noise from making physical contact it shouldn't be, just a noisy fan outright?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Target just had a drop, but they are doing in store pickup only. One actually showed up technically available in my area but I decided it was too far.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Oh I assumed there was some kind of PS5 enhancement for TLOU2 and it had just downloaded it. It kind of stinks there aren't just "free" things added to PS4 games like how XSX gives the older games "free" enhancements.
Yea smart delivery would have been nice for ps5. But again the enhancements are up to the developer and will take time. For example cyberpunk won't have any ray tracing or any other enhancements for either console until later 2021.

With how many times that game has been delayed you would think that's what they were adding to it. But the primary focus for that one was pc.
Target just had a drop, but they are doing in store pickup only. One actually showed up technically available in my area but I decided it was too far.
If you can find the SKU of the ps5 you can use the walmart app to input the SKU and check local stores around you. That's how I walked into Walmart and bought a series X. They don't have them on the shelves of course but if you ask and you tell them the app shows stock, depending on the people there, they may sell it to you despite them being for "online only".

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, so I had planned to just buy a copy of Immortals Fenyx Rising locally, but that doesn't seem to be the easiest task. Target doesn't sell any versions in their store nor does Gamestop. On the other hand, Best Buy sells the PlayStation and Switch variants, but not the Xbox ones in store. It seems awkward for a full-priced release to have such poor physical availability. Is Ubisoft just trying to quietly shove this game out the door? If you add in how Watchdogs Legion already has a steep 50% discount and it was just released (Best Buy was offering it for $30 pre-order for PS5 with a $10 bonus), it makes for quite an odd response from Ubisoft with their recently released titles, and maybe suggests a lack of faith in expected sales?

EDIT:

It looks like Walmart has some copies of it available around me, but that's about it.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hm, so I had planned to just buy a copy of Immortals Fenyx Rising locally, but that doesn't seem to be the easiest task. Target doesn't sell any versions in their store nor does Gamestop. On the other hand, Best Buy sells the PlayStation and Switch variants, but not the Xbox ones in store. It seems awkward for a full-priced release to have such poor physical availability. Is Ubisoft just trying to quietly shove this game out the door? If you add in how Watchdogs Legion already has a steep 50% discount and it was just released (Best Buy was offering it for $30 pre-order for PS5 with a $10 bonus), it makes for quite an odd response from Ubisoft with their recently released titles, and maybe suggests a lack of faith in expected sales?

EDIT:

It looks like Walmart has some copies of it available around me, but that's about it.
Best buy near me surprisingly had it for pre-order and pickup. I was going to get it off Amazon but amazon would not deliver until December 7th anyway.

That's odd that best buy had a different price for the ps5 version for preorder vs the Xbox.

I had $10 in certificates with best buy so I ordered it there and will pick it up later today. I got it for the Series X since I didn't buy any games for that console yet..I've just been playing red dead 2 and the mafia remake on there which are digital.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
FWIW some dude on 4chan (lol) says that R&C's release date will be Feb 12th. Presumably Sony will be caught up on PS5 availability by (around?) then.

Reactions: purbeast0

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
FWIW some dude on 4chan (lol) says that R&C's release date will be Feb 12th. Presumably Sony will be caught up on PS5 availability by (around?) then.

Maybe. Even Microsoft has warned of shortages for its consoles until April, and the PS5 is the one in higher demand. The holiday rush will be over, at least.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Maybe. Even Microsoft has warned of shortages for its consoles until April, and the PS5 is the one in higher demand. The holiday rush will be over, at least.
I remember reading somewhere that Sony is getting significantly more wafers produced than Microsoft in Q4 (I wanna say something like 80k to 40k)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I would say it's more difficult to get a ps5 compared to a series X/S. I walked into Walmart and bought a series X whereas with the the ps5 I had to try for a couple weeks at the various different websites.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I remember reading somewhere that Sony is getting significantly more wafers produced than Microsoft in Q4 (I wanna say something like 80k to 40k)

Wouldn't be surprised. AMD and its manufacturing partners likely see the PS5 as a license to print money where the new Xboxes are more nice additions than anything.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is the same day Super Mario 3D World hits Switch which I got preordered too. That game looks awesome and I never had a Wii-U. That will be awesome to get both of those games that day if true.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I would say it's more difficult to get a ps5 compared to a series X/S. I walked into Walmart and bought a series X whereas with the the ps5 I had to try for a couple weeks at the various different websites.

Sounds about right. The Xbox Series X is a return to form for Microsoft, but I think it's a victim of network effects. People buy PlayStations because more of their friends have PlayStations.

That's a bit of a shame — the Xbox Series X/S models represent returns to form for Microsoft. It's not surprising, though. The Xbox One was the victim of Ballmer-era Microsoft's hubris (we can make the Xbox a Trojan horse for Windows in the living room!), and the company has been paying for that mistake ever since.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Likely because the PS4 is not fully RDNA2 so it’s more based on older designs that have good yields. The series x is full RDNA2 like the new rx6800 GPUs from AMD which is likely not getting good production yields yet.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Likely because the PS4 is not fully RDNA2 so it’s more based on older designs that have good yields. The series x is full RDNA2 like the new rx6800 GPUs from AMD which is likely not getting good production yields yet.

Other way around, appears the PS5 has bad yields due to the frequency. 80k wafers works out to 10M consoles but IIRC Sony's CFO said they were hoping to produce 7.5M by March. MS said yield for X was good.

The PS5 is obviously going to sell more early on, so Sony would have bought more. Over time that may change.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Other way around, appears the PS5 has bad yields due to the frequency. 80k wafers works out to 10M consoles but IIRC Sony's CFO said they were hoping to produce 7.5M by March. MS said yield for X was good.

The PS5 is obviously going to sell more early on, so Sony would have bought more. Over time that may change.

Doesn’t matter what MS says. Good for a new design is still less than an older design with good production

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Doesn’t matter what MS says. Good for a new design is still less than an older design with good production

Designs don't mean much. It's the node that matters, and I'm pretty sure they're manufactured on the same node.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Spent some time this morning to clean up my AV closet and get the new consoles installed properly since my PSVR PS5 adapter arrived yesterday, making sure to tidy up the cable management. Came out pretty well.

CxOV2U8.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So every one that comes off the line is working 100% to specs?

I forget if PS5 and XSX CPU are 8 or 6 core, but they are both basically Zen2, same node, yes, and I think if 6 core, they probably get excellent yield b/c it's essentially 8 core dies that only need 2 functioning cores.

But the design is a bit different between the two solutions, and so IIRC the the XSX APU overall is a bit larger, because the Vega part has 6 extra CUs, I think? So at least the output per wafer for Sony's parts should be a bit more efficient.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
So every one that comes off the line is working 100% to specs?
Obviously not. There is no such thing as a node with 0 defects. Then you get into binning. Can the chip hit the desired clock speeds? If not, then bin it to a lower tier. That obviously doesn't happen with the PS5 since there is only one tier, but it happens all the time with CPUs and GPUs. I'm guessing Microsoft is able to bin since they do have a slower model, which would only make their yields even better than PS5.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Obviously not. There is no such thing as a node with 0 defects. Then you get into binning. Can the chip hit the desired clock speeds? If not, then bin it to a lower tier. That obviously doesn't happen with the PS5 since there is only one tier, but it happens all the time with CPUs and GPUs. I'm guessing Microsoft is able to bin since they do have a slower model, which would only make their yields even better than PS5.

There's no binning with the Series S, it's a smaller chip. MS could use defective Series X chips but they aren't right now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
that's just....another kick in the nads. glad I don't yet feel the need for one of these things until much later next year when, hopefully, supply isn't insane and maybe there is an improved supply line, and if it can be confirmed that issues like this get fixed...
I don't know if it's considered an issue that they use different fans in the systems as long as the fans perform to spec and do the job, which is preventing the console from overheating.

I'm pretty sure if I called Sony and told them my ps5 sounds different than my friend's and I see articles online about the units having different model fans they would not do anything for me unless the system itself is shutting down on its own or being faulty.

Mine is pretty quiet, I don't hear it unless I am installing a game from a disc.