Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LeopardosK

Jan 23, 2010
No warranty in unsupported territories unless a retailer in your country honors their own.

How so? are you sure?
Isn't it like I'm living in the US and send them the PS5 by mail for repair after opening a warranty ticket? the case here its that i send them from another country, at the end of the day, its will be delivered tothem anyway.... Am i right ?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That’s why, it locks the resolution at 4K and probably keeps the textures etc from scaling down. If you aren’t using a 4K screen it may be hard to tell but it should down sample and be sharper. Again it’s hard to tell. AC Valhalla has something similar. 4K/30 or dynamic resolution and 60fps. It’s a bit hard to tell the graphics are any better, the motion sucks at 30fps though and it feels nearly unplayable after using 60 for so long.
It was definitely less than 30fps. I played TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima and those ran much smoother than Demon's Souls did in cinematic mode. It wasn't even comparable.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
How so? are you sure?
Isn't it like I'm living in the US and send them the PS5 by mail for repair after opening a warranty ticket? the case here its that i send them from another country, at the end of the day, its will be delivered tothem anyway.... Am i right ?

Warranty only valid from authorized retailers in the region for which the console is designed.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It was definitely less than 30fps. I played TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima and those ran much smoother than Demon's Souls did in cinematic mode. It wasn't even comparable.

Heh well I dunno. I’m just saying 30fps is pretty terrible after actually experiencing 60

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been playing miles morales on cinematic mode from the start and I haven't felt like it has slowed down the gameplay at all. Naturally the movement and physics in that game are pretty quick.

Demon souls however I can easily tell that when switching to cinematic, you feel the sluggishness in your character and sometimes you see some hitch in the movement.

Hopefully down the road there will be a patch to smooth it out more.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've been playing miles morales on cinematic mode from the start and I haven't felt like it has slowed down the gameplay at all. Naturally the movement and physics in that game are pretty quick.

Demon souls however I can easily tell that when switching to cinematic, you feel the sluggishness in your character and sometimes you see some hitch in the movement.

Hopefully down the road there will be a patch to smooth it out more.
I feel like it introduces input lag in cinematic mode. I really only tried it twice, for like 15 seconds each time though lol. Once inside the nexus and once on a level.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I feel like it introduces input lag in cinematic mode. I really only tried it twice, for like 15 seconds each time though lol. Once inside the nexus and once on a level.
Yea it's weird how that seems true. I always have my tv switch to game mode automatically when a console boots up. This disables some of the tv's image processing features and usually reduces most input lag.

Like you said I have no issues in last of us or ghosts of tsushima. Pretty sure those are running cinematic if that's an option.

Demon souls looks good even in performance mode. I think the cinematic mode adds mostly a bit higher resolution textures and ray tracing. I think it needs a patch to stay consistent at 30fps because when I switched to it I also saw lag intermittently.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yea it's weird how that seems true. I always have my tv switch to game mode automatically when a console boots up. This disables some of the tv's image processing features and usually reduces most input lag.

Like you said I have no issues in last of us or ghosts of tsushima. Pretty sure those are running cinematic if that's an option.

Demon souls looks good even in performance mode. I think the cinematic mode adds mostly a bit higher resolution textures and ray tracing. I think it needs a patch to stay consistent at 30fps because when I switched to it I also saw lag intermittently.
Oh I haven't tried out TLOU or GOT on PS5. I was talking about on PS4. So clearly it was 30fps.

LeopardosK

Jan 23, 2010
Warranty only valid from authorized retailers in the region for which the console is designed.

I know its wont be under warranty here in Israel... But will it be in the USA?

Thats what im saying, im from israel and want to buy from Amazon USA.... my Question was, Will it still get PS5 Warranty in the USA? And could i ship it from israel to USA for warranty repair incase needed?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

Thats what im saying, im from israel and want to buy from Amazon USA.... my Question was, Will it still get PS5 Warranty in the USA?

Is the ps5 released in Israel? If not, the warranty will not be supported because the console is not available in your country.

Warranty is only available if the system is bought in the country which it is available. For example the system is only available in US and Japan right now.

Sony stated in several articles I have read, imported units do not get warranty, most of those articles were giving India as an example.

Because you do not live in US or Japan you can't get the warranty if you import the system to your country. You will not be able to send it to US for warranty.

LeopardosK

Jan 23, 2010
Is the ps5 released in Israel? If not, the warranty will not be supported because the console is not available in your country.

Warranty is only available if the system is bought in the country which it is available. For example the system is only available in US and Japan right now.

Sony stated in several articles I have read, imported units do not get warranty, most of those articles were giving India as an example.

Because you do not live in US or Japan you can't get the warranty if you import the system to your country. You will not be able to send it to US for warranty.

Clear answer, Thanks you very much,
cmdrdredd aswell, Thanks

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
IMO it is never worth using 30fps for extra graphics in an action game. After playing at 60fps, it’s literally vomit inducing to try 30fps. Yes it looks nice but actually playing the game feels really bad. If the game is more of a cinematic experience it’s easier to accept. I dunno why they turn off ray tracing for the performance mode, they could just use dynamic resolution scaling and keep ray tracing on I would think. This is what other games have done to achieve a 60fps experience. We don’t need a locked 4K, that’s just a marketing check box. Even on PC it isn’t realistic to expect every game to be a locked 4K using similar hardware specs. 1440p can look really nice and ensure you get 60fps.

I think as time goes on that’s what we will see more of and better optimization. A lot of the launch games seem to be half baked efforts to tick check boxes in time for launch.

I'm playing the game nicely at 30FPS. With that said, part of the allure for me is the cinematic experience, and not just in cutscenes. I like those moments when I'm street-level or slinking through a high-tech office.

It's hard to say why Insomniac did what it did. There's no guarantee the ray tracing would scale well to different resolutions while hitting 60FPS (I'm not ruling it out, just noting the possibility). It might also have been a matter of simplicity: this reduces the number of variables, makes it easy to understand for non-techies and guarantees consistency. You won't watch your game drop from 1440p to 900p just because there's a lot going on.

You're likely right about optimization. That Unreal Engine 5 demo by itself made clear that there's a lot of room to breathe. This has been true of a lot of games during console launch periods, it seems — there were titles in the PS4/XB1 era that didn't feel like huge leaps over their PS3/X360 counterparts.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

The availability isn't accurate. The PS5 is on sale in quite a few countries. Not sure about Israel, but I've had one in Canada since launch, and I know availability expanded significantly on November 19th.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm playing the game nicely at 30FPS. With that said, part of the allure for me is the cinematic experience, and not just in cutscenes. I like those moments when I'm street-level or slinking through a high-tech office.

It's hard to say why Insomniac did what it did. There's no guarantee the ray tracing would scale well to different resolutions while hitting 60FPS (I'm not ruling it out, just noting the possibility). It might also have been a matter of simplicity: this reduces the number of variables, makes it easy to understand for non-techies and guarantees consistency. You won't watch your game drop from 1440p to 900p just because there's a lot going on.

You're likely right about optimization. That Unreal Engine 5 demo by itself made clear that there's a lot of room to breathe. This has been true of a lot of games during console launch periods, it seems — there were titles in the PS4/XB1 era that didn't feel like huge leaps over their PS3/X360 counterparts.

I want a 1080p Ultra Graphics/60 FPS option. We'll see what happens when I get mine "for Christmas" because I am hooking up to a 1080p projector. I want all the bells and whistles and I don't need 4k/attempted 4k output.

I would also do this on my Sony TV, it's upscaling is really good, especially from my couch ;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
IMO it is never worth using 30fps for extra graphics in an action game. After playing at 60fps, it’s literally vomit inducing to try 30fps. Yes it looks nice but actually playing the game feels really bad. If the game is more of a cinematic experience it’s easier to accept. I dunno why they turn off ray tracing for the performance mode, they could just use dynamic resolution scaling and keep ray tracing on I would think. This is what other games have done to achieve a 60fps experience. We don’t need a locked 4K, that’s just a marketing check box. Even on PC it isn’t realistic to expect every game to be a locked 4K using similar hardware specs. 1440p can look really nice and ensure you get 60fps.

I think as time goes on that’s what we will see more of and better optimization. A lot of the launch games seem to be half baked efforts to tick check boxes in time for launch.

Pretty much. I only play shooters and I simply can't play Destiny as it's a 30FPS game. I absolutely love sci fi shooters too but that game quickly got old because of the framerate. Played a few hours and that's it. Battlefield V got all my time then COD and Apex Legends now. I just won't buy a game if it's only 30fps going forward, that was my first and last one. That was when I first got the PS4Pro.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Pretty much. I only play shooters and I simply can't play Destiny as it's a 30FPS game. I absolutely love sci fi shooters too but that game quickly got old because of the framerate. Played a few hours and that's it. Battlefield V got all my time then COD and Apex Legends now. I just won't buy a game if it's only 30fps going forward, that was my first and last one. That was when I first got the PS4Pro.

Good news for you, then: Destiny 2 gets its PS5-native update on December 8th, and the obvious difference is 4K at 60FPS (that's also true for the Xbox Series X, as you might imagine).

As it stands, D2 is already miles better in most respects. The frame rate feels more consistent (not that it ever dropped perilously low, just doesn't feel like there's even a chance of slowing down), and the load times... oh, they're so much better. The only beef I have right now is that HDR gamma appears to be off on a few maps.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you aren't playing on a 4k display does performance mode or cinematic mode even matter?

Form what I understand and I may be wrong, if you only have a 1080p display, why would you bother with the fidelity options? You obviously would be getting the 60 fps you wanted without the need to toggle that setting.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
If you aren't playing on a 4k display does performance mode or cinematic mode even matter?

Form what I understand and I may be wrong, if you only have a 1080p display, why would you bother with the fidelity options? You obviously would be getting the 60 fps you wanted without the need to toggle that setting.

Is that how it works? It just runs Cinematic mode @ 60FPS?

If you are on a 4k display can you choose 1080p Cinematic 60 fps?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is that how it works? It just runs Cinematic mode @ 60FPS?

If you are on a 4k display can you choose 1080p Cinematic 60 fps?

Not that fine-grained. It's either Fidelity or Performance, with no resolution options.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not that fine-grained. It's either Fidelity or Performance, with no resolution options.
This is how I understand it too. Although I've never hooked up the ps4 pro or ps5 to a 1080p display to see if those options are available.

I'm going to guess that if it detects a 1080p then it's up to the game if the devs enabled extra options for us. Devil may cry for example supports higher fps in the settings but this isn't normalized for other titles. So if the game is native 4k30fps and you are on a 1080p display you probably get 1080p 30fps unless that game supports higher refresh options.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not sure if anyone else already saw this (I looked back a few pages, but didn't see anything posted).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-5-fan-lottery-responsible-for-noisier-consoles

Gyw68AYJ4aXPNYaopZXopA-970-80.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I moved my PS4 stuff over to PS5 tonight. It was pretty painless.

I tried out TLOU2 on PS5 and was not impressed. I couldn't tell any difference from what I remember it looking on PS4. Only thing I noticed was that when turning the camera the motion blur was very apparent on PS5. I don't recall it being so noticable on PS4. I'm sure there is a difference between PS5 and PS4 but having played through all of it on PS4 then playing it on PS5, I couldn't tell an immediate difference.

Also the load time was unimpressive. I expected it load up quick. There was still like a 20-30 second load screen when booting up the level.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think the last of us part 2 load times on ps5 are a bit better than what I remember on ps4. It still takes some time but it seems to be a good 30 seconds quicker to do the initial load into the game.

There haven't been any enhancements or patch to the game for ps5 yet either. If they do something and I'm sure they will, they will probably remaster it or upgrade it. Same with Ghosts of tsushima which will probably get an upgrade patch too.

Speaking of unimpressed, I felt the same continuing where I left off on red dead 2 on the Series X.

It loads a tiny bit quicker but not as fast as I imagined it would, comparing to how I remember it loading on the OneX.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Thats what im saying, im from israel and want to buy from Amazon USA.... my Question was, Will it still get PS5 Warranty in the USA? And could i ship it from israel to USA for warranty repair incase needed?

You don’t live in the US so warranty will not be valid. If you are in the US and buy a Japanese console your warranty is not valid because you aren’t in Japan. That is how it has always worked.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I think the main issue is the game was built for PS4 and other games as well, then added on effects and increased resolution. It takes a lot of work to optimize a game and I think they rushed for a launch date in many cases.