Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
From what this guy on YouTube says (fighting cowboy since I'm using his walkthrough).

If you don't kill yourself in the nexus and go through a level in human form, it makes the world darker each time you die as human. So to combat that system, killing yourself in the nexus and entering the levels in soul form is recommended so it doesn't get too difficult.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Damn okay well I died quick afterwards lol.

I have one of those items that returns you to human form.

I wonder if it's worth using that in the nexus and then just dying lol.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Immortals fennyx rising looks like a cool game. It's getting good reviews so far. It's on sale at amazon now for $50 and comes out Dec 3.

I'm thinking about picking it up but now I have the dilemma again of which console lol ps5 or series x..if one looks or plays better than the other?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Immortals fennyx rising looks like a cool game. It's getting good reviews so far. It's on sale at amazon now for $50 and comes out Dec 3.

I'm thinking about picking it up but now I have the dilemma again of which console lol ps5 or series x..if one looks or plays better than the other?

I would imagine that the differences will probably be small. At worst, it may be similar to the PS4 Pro vs. XOX where the PS4 Pro may've had a slightly lower resolution to make up for slightly less graphics horsepower. (Since the PS5 is slightly weaker than the XSX in regard to the GPU and CPU.) Since the game is single player, there's no need to worry what console your friends have. The game doesn't appear to have console-specific factors (i.e. DualSense-specific aspects), so... there probably isn't a huge reason to go with either console.

If I were to buy it, I'd likely go with Xbox or PC. For me, I still have my older Xbox, so the ability to play on either console is a nice benefit for me. If someone else is on my living room TV, which is where my XSX and PS5 are, I can use my XOX instead. I also have that benefit with PC since I have my own dedicated PC, or I can use my HTPC with my TV too. Although, I think the game is locked to the Epic Game Store on PC, which I'm less of a fan of.

In regard to the game, it reminds me of Genshin Impact but without the free-to-play/gacha mechanics. I don't think that's a bad thing. Genshin Impact can be fun to play, but the gacha mechanics combined with awkward progression mechanics turned me off. However, this might be an interesting middle-ground.

EDIT:

By the way, the game is on sale at Target for $50 for PS4 (has PS5 upgrade) and Xbox. ...but you can't pre-order to pick up in the store.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Really won’t know until someone like digital foundry does a comparison. I think either way would be fine, almost the same.

The major complaints about the game seem to be the cringe worthy attempts at jokes and pop culture references, the narrator Zeus doesn’t shut up, the repetitive nature of some puzzle areas, and the story that doesn’t really go anywhere. However they say the map is beautiful and large, the abilities you get for Fenyx and the way the character controls in the world is great, and it’s like a better take on the assassins creed formula than recent assassins creed games.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Really won’t know until someone like digital foundry does a comparison. I think either way would be fine, almost the same.

The major complaints about the game seem to be the cringe worthy attempts at jokes and pop culture references, the narrator Zeus doesn’t shut up, the repetitive nature of some puzzle areas, and the story that doesn’t really go anywhere. However they say the map is beautiful and large, the abilities you get for Fenyx and the way the character controls in the world is great, and it’s like a better take on the assassins creed formula than recent assassins creed games.
I have watched ACG and Skill up reviews on YouTube. Skillup is different for me each game but I felt like comparing the two reviews. Both talk about the open world that's beautiful and doesn't tell you where to go. There's no level gate so you potentially wander into an area way above your character's abilities.

Both reviewers mention that the formula actually does something different this time compared to regular ubisoft titles like AC. The story and voice acting is cheesy/comical.

I'll probably pick it up for the series x if I do get it. I only thought about it because I saw that it was on sale for $50 rather than full price.

I don't have a new GPU yet for my pc so that's the final tech item I'm buying for this year or 2021. Was planning on getting cyberpunk on the Xbox but it seems none of the next gen patches will launch until 2021 anyway so ill get that one for my pc.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have watched ACG and Skill up reviews on YouTube. Skillup is different for me each game but I felt like comparing the two reviews. Both talk about the open world that's beautiful and doesn't tell you where to go. There's no level gate so you potentially wander into an area way above your character's abilities.

Both reviewers mention that the formula actually does something different this time compared to regular ubisoft titles like AC. The story and voice acting is cheesy/comical.

I'll probably pick it up for the series x if I do get it. I only thought about it because I saw that it was on sale for $50 rather than full price.

I don't have a new GPU yet for my pc so that's the final tech item I'm buying for this year or 2021. Was planning on getting cyberpunk on the Xbox but it seems none of the next gen patches will launch until 2021 anyway so ill get that one for my pc.

Same here. My girlfriend will be buying Fenyx rising for Xmas as I have a few other games ahead of it anyway. I just finished the main story in AC Valhalla (85hours later) and have to play Gears 5 and Yakuza Like a Dragon still. Yakuza I can see being another 60+ hour game for me.

I’m in the same boat with the GPU situation. I’m not actively hunting but I casually look every day or so at the usual places trying to get lucky I guess. Probably won’t. This year saw two of my hobbies being hard to keep up with. New gaming hardware sold out and hard to get and it’s hard to find ammo to go to the shooting range. Both when you can find them are price gouged or simply sell out in minutes lol

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Same here. My girlfriend will be buying Fenyx rising for Xmas as I have a few other games ahead of it anyway. I just finished the main story in AC Valhalla (85hours later) and have to play Gears 5 and Yakuza Like a Dragon still. Yakuza I can see being another 60+ hour game for me.

I’m in the same boat with the GPU situation. I’m not actively hunting but I casually look every day or so at the usual places trying to get lucky I guess. Probably won’t. This year saw two of my hobbies being hard to keep up with. New gaming hardware sold out and hard to get and it’s hard to find ammo to go to the shooting range. Both when you can find them are price gouged or simply sell out in minutes lol
Is Yakuza like a dragon related to all the other story elements of the previous series? I got to the last boss in yakuza 0 on ps4 and never beat it.

I just added an additional 9 months of game pass ultimate so I have gears 5 to also go through too. I'm waiting until January to see the speculated 3080Ti announced before I actively search for a gpu.

Cyberpunk is out soon and I'm deciding if I really want to play it at 1440p on my pc vs 4k on the series x.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is Yakuza like a dragon related to all the other story elements of the previous series? I got to the last boss in yakuza 0 on ps4 and never beat it.

I just added an additional 9 months of game pass ultimate so I have gears 5 to also go through too. I'm waiting until January to see the speculated 3080Ti announced before I actively search for a gpu.

Cyberpunk is out soon and I'm deciding if I really want to play it at 1440p on my pc vs 4k on the series x.

Yakuza all kind of connects a bit but each game has a story onto itself and you do not need to play any others to appreciate it. You always get enough info about the characters’ background to follow along.

I am not buying cyberpunk for a while. I want to either play it on PC with a new GPU or with a series x update.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I haven't played much of Yakuza Like a Dragon yet, but it's worth adding that it has a completely different protagonist and also the battle system is far more like an RPG than a real time battle system seen in previous games. Also, of course, because it's Yakuza, the game gives you a reason why your battles act like an RPG.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Found out through some reading that fenyx rising does actually use the dual sense adaptive triggers and vibrations but not as much as Astro's play room.

Also ps5 is 4k 60fps in performance mode which does scale the graphics down a bit compared to cinematic mode which is 4k 30fps.

I think series x is the same, offering 4k30 and 4k60. So if you prefer the dual sense controller then go with that.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I could not for the life of me figure out what "cinematic mode" in Demon's Souls actually did other than make the framerate complete crap lol.

And I'm not even on 4k.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I could not for the life of me figure out what "cinematic mode" in Demon's Souls actually did other than make the framerate complete crap lol.

And I'm not even on 4k.

I'll say this: in Miles Morales, the "Fidelity" mode (i.e. ray tracing) beats "Performance" all day, every day as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Performance runs at 60FPS, but the visuals in Fidelity mode make a big difference. Ray tracing just makes it feel more natural... you can see Miles' reflection in a shop window, street puddles look realistic, and even shiny floors get a step up. It's supposed to be a cinematic game, and the drop to "just" 30FPS is worthwhile to make that happen.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

And I'm not even on 4k.
Cinematic mode is for 4k textures and 4k tv's, running at 30fps.

The performance mode is usually 1080p textures and 60fps which generally looks a bit worse on 4k tv's from game to game. In a game like spiderman, it's definitely apparent.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Maybe it was 24 fps for that real cinematic experience. ;)
LOL.

I dunno but I was just in the nexus and tried it at the start of a level and it felt like it was going like 20fps. I wonder if it's because it has to downscale or something since it's not a 4k display?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
LOL.

I dunno but I was just in the nexus and tried it at the start of a level and it felt like it was going like 20fps. I wonder if it's because it has to downscale or something since it's not a 4k display?
Pretty sure I've been playing in cinematic mode. I haven't noticed things being below 30fps, seems like most times that almost feels like lag if it's as low as 24 fps lol.

Im on a 4k oled display but I'll check next time I play.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Pretty sure I've been playing in cinematic mode. I haven't noticed things being below 30fps, seems like most times that almost feels like lag if it's as low as 24 fps lol.

Im on a 4k oled display but I'll check next time I play.
It was definitely lower than 30fps. It had to be around 20fps or so. It almost looked blurry. If I play tonight I"ll snap a video and see if it translates over since iPhone records at 60fps.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It was definitely lower than 30fps. It had to be around 20fps or so. It almost looked blurry. If I play tonight I"ll snap a video and see if it translates over since iPhone records at 60fps.
I think i see what you mean now. My game was in performance mode all along. Still looked damn good but movement was definitely quicker.

In a game like demon souls I think you want 60fps vs 4k 30 becuause you literally can't skip a beat or your dead lol.

Just trying to farm souls now that I beat the first boss in the first level and playing it on cinematic mode makes it pop more and makes it look much sharper. I can also fight the enemies without much issue but seeing how I didn't know I was in performance mode before, I think I'll change it back to performance because the quicker movement definitely helped.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Still cant get one, which is annoying but not too terrible I suppose. No killer game I just need right now. Keep trying these Walmart times and dates, wife and I both trying at same time. Been added to cart, almost checked out, then out of stock magically. I'll just hold off trying until after first of the year and see what happens.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

LeopardosK

Jan 23, 2010
I cant find any detailed answer about PS5 Warranty bought from Amazon USA,

I live in Israel, And there is no Official Sony branch here, Its just the Importer who gives Warranty for PS5 bought from them only and not aboard or 3rd party importer...
Will I get Warranty from Sony USA if i buy PS5 from Amazon?
If yes, is it Easy and not a headache to send the PS5 overseas to Sony for Warranty repair incase needed? and will i have to pay the two way delivery costs?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

And I'm not even on 4k.

That’s why, it locks the resolution at 4K and probably keeps the textures etc from scaling down. If you aren’t using a 4K screen it may be hard to tell but it should down sample and be sharper. Again it’s hard to tell. AC Valhalla has something similar. 4K/30 or dynamic resolution and 60fps. It’s a bit hard to tell the graphics are any better, the motion sucks at 30fps though and it feels nearly unplayable after using 60 for so long.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'll say this: in Miles Morales, the "Fidelity" mode (i.e. ray tracing) beats "Performance" all day, every day as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Performance runs at 60FPS, but the visuals in Fidelity mode make a big difference. Ray tracing just makes it feel more natural... you can see Miles' reflection in a shop window, street puddles look realistic, and even shiny floors get a step up. It's supposed to be a cinematic game, and the drop to "just" 30FPS is worthwhile to make that happen.

IMO it is never worth using 30fps for extra graphics in an action game. After playing at 60fps, it’s literally vomit inducing to try 30fps. Yes it looks nice but actually playing the game feels really bad. If the game is more of a cinematic experience it’s easier to accept. I dunno why they turn off ray tracing for the performance mode, they could just use dynamic resolution scaling and keep ray tracing on I would think. This is what other games have done to achieve a 60fps experience. We don’t need a locked 4K, that’s just a marketing check box. Even on PC it isn’t realistic to expect every game to be a locked 4K using similar hardware specs. 1440p can look really nice and ensure you get 60fps.

I think as time goes on that’s what we will see more of and better optimization. A lot of the launch games seem to be half baked efforts to tick check boxes in time for launch.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I cant find any detailed answer about PS5 Warranty bought from Amazon USA,

I live in Israel, And there is no Official Sony branch here, Its just the Importer who gives Warranty for PS5 bought from them only and not aboard or 3rd party importer...
Will I get Warranty from Sony USA if i buy PS5 from Amazon?
If yes, is it Easy and not a headache to send the PS5 overseas to Sony for Warranty repair incase needed? and will i have to pay the two way delivery costs?

No warranty in unsupported territories unless a retailer in your country honors their own.