Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You should have stuck around then. Because Walmart refreshed their inventory 2 more times after 9pm. I had 6 people doing it as well. 2 of us got consoles. 1 got PS5, I got an XSX.

Again, it takes a bit of work to get one. I was on the website refreshing and clicking add to cart for nearly an hour in order to get my XSX.

But going there at 9pm, not getting one, then complaining about bots being the reason, is exactly what I am talking about that pretty much EVERYONE is doing if they don't get one.

EDIT:

And just to be clear, I do understand and know bots are out there and are making it more difficult for people to get consoles. I'm just saying that if you really want one, you have a good chance of getting one as long as you put the work in.

But even without bots, like 90% (totally making this number up but guesstimating) of the people who aren't getting new consoles right now, still wouldn't be getting new consoles.

It said sold out after 5 minutes and never showed stock again for us so I dunno how you expect us to keep clicking when it kicks us out of the cart because they are gone and it didn’t come back up.

Then you have this which is a single botter. This is the main issue, they are getting more than a couple. Means less for everyone else not to mention the traffic they produce because they are essentially multiplying the number of hits on the site by 50 or more per bot. If there were no bots it would be much easier I guarantee. It’s not saying everyone would get it, it’s saying your chances would be higher and the site might not crash from 5,000,000 hits lol. There is no way you can tell me the system works when I have 6 people adding to cart within 2 seconds of going live and we all can’t get past the cart to even checkout and it kicks us out at some point because they are gone and it never comes back up as in stock.
8daeb97a147336cb4bc0c61b6a20a294.jpg

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Ended up selling my xbox one X tonight too. $240 on a different app. I thought it would be much harder and it is annoying but I'm glad it worked out.

Now I can try to get a series x so I can finish red dead 2 lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It said sold out after 5 minutes and never showed stock again for us so I dunno how you expect us to keep clicking when it kicks us out of the cart because they are gone and it didn’t come back up.

Then you have this which is a single botter. This is the main issue, they are getting more than a couple. Means less for everyone else not to mention the traffic they produce because they are essentially multiplying the number of hits on the site by 50 or more per bot. If there were no bots it would be much easier I guarantee. It’s not saying everyone would get it, it’s saying your chances would be higher and the site might not crash from 5,000,000 hits lol. There is no way you can tell me the system works when I have 6 people adding to cart within 2 seconds of going live and we all can’t get past the cart to even checkout and it kicks us out at some point because they are gone and it never comes back up as in stock.
8daeb97a147336cb4bc0c61b6a20a294.jpg
Walmart came back in stock twice on Wednesday. Around 9:20pm ET and around 9:40pm ET. I got my XSX in the 9:20 restock. My buddy got his PS5 at that time too. I didn't get anything at 9:40 but I had a PS5 in my cart trying to check out.

And just for reference, this scalping stuff has been going on as long as I can remember. I camped out for my PS2 which was the first console I ever camped out for. I kept mine but remember seeing them going for $1k+ on ebay.

I won 2 360's (and bought 2) and remember selling my first one on launch night for $1700.

As long as there is a supply shortage this is never going to end. That bot stuff though is tough because websites in the end don't really care. Walmart gets the same $$$ whether they sell the whole stock to 1 person or 1000 people. The bots will definitely be a cat and mouse game but it just depends if these companies care about figuring it out or not because it really doesn't benefit them if they fight the bots as far as finances go.

Nov 20, 2009
You would think Sony and Microsoft would know how to amass a huge inventory ahead of launch, but that's just silly thinking on my part. They WANT it this way. Starve you petty players, starve. :p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You would think Sony and Microsoft would know how to amass a huge inventory ahead of launch, but that's just silly thinking on my part. They WANT it this way. Starve you petty players, starve. :p
Yeah because every other console launch has had sufficient supply to meet demand.

Nov 20, 2009
My sarcasm was making a point that they do this deliberately. It isn't a case the learn from prior disastrous launches.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
My sarcasm was making a point that they do this deliberately. It isn't a case the learn from prior disastrous launches.

I don't think it's deliberate! They know they can often sell every unit they make, especially during a pandemic when people are stuck at home. It's most likely constrained by manufacturing processes for the new APUs, and maybe those cutting-edge SSDs. Remember, AMD is also launching its first consumer GPUs with hardware ray tracing — this is new stuff that takes a while to ramp up.

Sony said the PS5 should be easier to find than the PS4 was at launch, and that might be true. It's hard to tell, though. I admittedly had everything align properly — I ordered from Walmart at just the right time in September and got mine a day after launch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Best buy has series x in stock. I like their system because it holds it for you once you get a verification code from them and it's in your cart.

Haven't decided if I want to buy one right at this moment, just so I can finish red dead 2 lol. Don't care about the money spent I just don't know how much I'll really use it. My One X didn't get a lot of play time.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I think they are selling a ton of PS5, it's just that scalper interest is unprecedented. Plus being online only makes it much easier to scalp with bots.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Overall, I think my largest issue with bots is that it's simply harder for a human to compete. I don't think it means you cannot get one. I mean... I have both next (current?) generation consoles, and I bought them through normal means. So, it's certainly possible. After the story broke this past summer about the kid writing the script so his friends could get a Switch, I had a feeling that we'd run into this problem, and I recall mentioning it in numerous discussions prior to launch. I guess a part of me leans toward the "doomsday prediction" in that it may get to the point where more people consider or do use automated purchasing systems to get a new item for personal use. We end up in this crazy escalation battle that just sounds really annoying. :p

Anyway, speaking of annoying... I believe I mentioned earlier how there is no cross-generation saves between PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game. (I tried it with Sackboy.) However, and I'm not surprised by this, there's nothing stopping you from playing a save created on an XS game on its XO counterpart. I installed and fired up Yakuza Like a Dragon on my One X, and after a short "syncing" pop-up came up, my save was right there ready to play. I know people have talked about selling their old consoles, but I usually just move my older one to a different room. I was hoping that they would both allow for easy play between the two, but I do think that given Sony's tight-lipped response to backwards compatibility that they were likely caught off-guard by Microsoft's consumer-friendly stance.

Although, given how much shade Sony threw at Microsoft over the planned digital DRM of the XO, it's a bit awkward how Sony doesn't catch any flak for their fairly lackluster implementation.

Nov 20, 2009
I think they are selling a ton of PS5, it's just that scalper interest is unprecedented. Plus being online only makes it much easier to scalp with bots.
How is it scalpers can actually do this unless the merchant allows multiple unit purchased on the same CC. They should limit on unit per CC per home until, say, six months after said launch.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyway, speaking of annoying... I believe I mentioned earlier how there is no cross-generation saves between PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game. (I tried it with Sackboy.) However, and I'm not surprised by this, there's nothing stopping you from playing a save created on an XS game on its XO counterpart. I installed and fired up Yakuza Like a Dragon on my One X, and after a short "syncing" pop-up came up, my save was right there ready to play. I know people have talked about selling their old consoles, but I usually just move my older one to a different room. I was hoping that they would both allow for easy play between the two, but I do think that given Sony's tight-lipped response to backwards compatibility that they were likely caught off-guard by Microsoft's consumer-friendly stance.
You gotta remember though for MS, it's "free" to do that because those games you played on XS and XO are literally the same game. They are the same binary and same SKU. There are no different XS and XO versions of that game.

The PS5 games you have talked about have a separate PS5 and PS4 version that are different SKUs and different binaries.

I'm not saying Sony can't do it, because they could, it's just translating file types most likely (over simplifying the work involved), but I get why it's not just there out of the box.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You gotta remember though for MS, it's "free" to do that because those games you played on XS and XO are literally the same game. They are the same binary and same SKU. There are no different XS and XO versions of that game.

The PS5 games you have talked about have a separate PS5 and PS4 version that are different SKUs and different binaries.

I'm not saying Sony can't do it, because they could, it's just translating file types most likely (over simplifying the work involved), but I get why it's not just there out of the box.

I'm not sure if the XS necessarily has to be the same binary. I guess it would depend on how the entire system works. Does the developer have to build their game for the upgrade in advance, or can the upgrade not just focus on visual assets but also the binary code? I don't know... it would be interesting to see how it's handled in the background. Although, I would imagine that the latter would avoid potential hamstringing for developers.

I think the reason why it bugs me a little is that the PS4 and PS5 versions are theoretically the same, which would imply that creating/reading save data for the games should be equivalent. I know Spider-Man Remastered added some suits to the game, but Insomniac went back and added them to the PS4 version too. In regard to game knowledge, it seems like Sony already ties the individual variants together given how Spider-Man (PS4) and Spider-Man Remastered (PS5) are both tucked under the Spider-Man game. It seems like it would need to be a system where a game can be flagged (just in case) to say "Hey, these two cross-generation versions can share a save file." Now, it could be a case of inherent limitations that Sony backed themselves into with their design ...or they could just not care because these cross-generation games with upgrades will only exist for maybe 6-12 months.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm not sure if the XS necessarily has to be the same binary. I guess it would depend on how the entire system works. Does the developer have to build their game for the upgrade in advance, or can the upgrade not just focus on visual assets but also the binary code? I don't know... it would be interesting to see how it's handled in the background. Although, I would imagine that the latter would avoid potential hamstringing for developers.

I think the reason why it bugs me a little is that the PS4 and PS5 versions are theoretically the same, which would imply that creating/reading save data for the games should be equivalent. I know Spider-Man Remastered added some suits to the game, but Insomniac went back and added them to the PS4 version too. In regard to game knowledge, it seems like Sony already ties the individual variants together given how Spider-Man (PS4) and Spider-Man Remastered (PS5) are both tucked under the Spider-Man game. It seems like it would need to be a system where a game can be flagged (just in case) to say "Hey, these two cross-generation versions can share a save file." Now, it could be a case of inherent limitations that Sony backed themselves into with their design ...or they could just not care because these cross-generation games with upgrades will only exist for maybe 6-12 months.
I believe Xbox games are all the same and just patched (or not) for the enhanced versions.

They are definitely the same SKU though.

Like you don't go into the store and purchase an Xbox Series game or an Xbox One game. You buy an Xbox game now that plays on both. I attribute it to the same thing as buying PC games now and they are all the same but just run differently on different hardware.

This discussion alone is my major issue with this gen, at least for the time being. It's so stupid and confusing.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, can anyone confirm that you can add USB storage? I have 2 4TB SSDs waiting to be used on a PS5 once I get one. My PS4 has a 2TB internal HD and I use an external 2TB SSD and want to transfer to a PS5 whenever I can get my hands on one. Also, can you use more than 1 external drive for installs?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I believe Xbox games are all the same and just patched (or not) for the enhanced versions.

They are definitely the same SKU though.

Like you don't go into the store and purchase an Xbox Series game or an Xbox One game. You buy an Xbox game now that plays on both. I attribute it to the same thing as buying PC games now and they are all the same but just run differently on different hardware.

This discussion alone is my major issue with this gen, at least for the time being. It's so stupid and confusing.

Yeah, with the Xbox, you end up with a single version that's either normal (XO) or upgraded (XS), and with the PS5, you (can) end up with two different installs. On that note, I really need to delete all the PS4 versions from my PS5. I'm down to around 120GB of free space right now! :eek:

I guess the part that rubs me the wrong way is that it shouldn't be impossible to share the saves, and I don't mean with a goofy setup like Spider-Man has where you upload your save on the PS4 and then download it on the PS5.

So, can anyone confirm that you can add USB storage? I have 2 4TB SSDs waiting to be used on a PS5 once I get one. My PS4 has a 2TB internal HD and I use an external 2TB SSD and want to transfer to a PS5 whenever I can get my hands on one. Also, can you use more than 1 external drive for installs?

From what I recall hearing, you can only install/add a single external drive on the PS5. (The Xbox Series S/X support as many as you want.)

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
From what I recall hearing, you can only install/add a single external drive on the PS5. (The Xbox Series S/X support as many as you want.)

Interesting.

BTW, you can only use the external drive for PS4 games, and unlike the Series you can't use the external drives as cold storage either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been playing a bunch of Sackboy A Big Adventure lately, and I will say that it's a fun platformer, but sheesh... it feels like the game punishes you for wanting to play co-op given how tight the platforming can be compared to how characters interact with each other. For example, we were doing the spotlight race last night, and it got to the point where my co-op partner would just kill themselves at the beginning and let me do the race solo due to the mechanics not working well with two players at once. (If a moving spotlight hits you, you get a 5s penalty.) I'd say that's probably the most frustrating thing about it.

Another issue is some weird problems relating to grabbing that has been causing deaths. Although, I wonder if that's just my TV. I don't have ALLM, so I'm not playing in game mode, and the Sony x930e does not have very good latency (most TVs don't outside of game mode). I recall trying to do the Warframe Grineer puzzles on it, and I had to hit the button before the cursor even reached the lock mechanism in question. However, I did find that you can hold the grab button (R2).

Interesting.

BTW, you can only use the external drive for PS4 games, and unlike the Series you can't use the external drives as cold storage either.

Yep. I have heard that (like the Series X) the PS4 games load pretty much just as fast off an external SSD as they do off the internal drive. So, no worries about speed either!

...and given the current deals going on with SSDs right now, it wouldn't be a bad time to pick one up.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If Sackboy wasn't a launch title, would it be forgettable?

Like that is exactly how I described Knack at PS4 launch. It was a fun game but pretty much because there was nothing else to play. And if it was released like a year into the life cycle, it would have been completely forgettable.

I heard the control in Sackboy is floaty though like the normal LBP games, which I really dislike.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been playing quite a bit of demon souls. Got to the boss in the first level and have to fight him now. Also unlocked the two shortcuts for that level. Man this is a tough game.

These levels are just long even with shortcuts. You still have to fight through a set of enemies to get to the shortcut then when you are going through the shortcut itself there's enemies there. I died about 20 times trying to go through the one route.

Also played spiderman miles morales. I got the pulse 3d on Saturday and I like it. I think the integration with the ps5 is nice for battery level and game/chat mix. It doesn't get too loud but I don't have the volume past half way when I play.

It does take forever to charge though. Even from 2 bars it took like 3 hrs for the light to go out, charging it with the cable it came with from the front usb a port. The headset itself has usb c.

On a side note, I found out the SKU of a series x and used the walmart app to input the SKU into their app and check inventory. One store said "limited stock". I went there and they said it's only online only sales. They didn't have any on the shelves.

Store #2 said "in stock" on the app. I went to this store and shelves were empty.

I asked the associate and told him I saw that the app says you have them in stock. He asks another co-worker if he can sell them. She tells him they are for online but since I'm here they allow it.

As the guy goes and gets it, 2 other people come in saying the app says they have ps5 and xbox series x in stock. No PS5's but they have xbox. He tells the guy he will have to come back in an hour or wait an hour.

They had to put it in a generic cardboard box for me to take it out the store.

So yea basically walked into Walmart and got a Series X. I never trusted their website stock info but the app let's you put in the SKU's and is pretty accurate on local store stock.

After I left the stock for that store on the app changed to "limited stock".

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If Sackboy wasn't a launch title, would it be forgettable?

Like that is exactly how I described Knack at PS4 launch. It was a fun game but pretty much because there was nothing else to play. And if it was released like a year into the life cycle, it would have been completely forgettable.

I heard the control in Sackboy is floaty though like the normal LBP games, which I really dislike.

It might be slightly harder for me to answer due to focusing more on Sackboy, because it's pretty much the only new "PS5 Enhanced" local co-op game available right now. That's why I bought it even though I won a copy from Burger King, which I still haven't received yet. (Nor has anyone else from what I've seen.)

I would say that memorable games often have something innovative about them or execute on an aspect extremely well (story, gameplay, etc.). There isn't much that's innovative in Sackboy. The game certainly looks quite good, and performs well on the PS5. It does a good job creating interesting stages with fun mechanics, and in some of them, it blends music in quite well with the action seen on screen. However, the mechanics aren't always polished all that well... especially from what I've seen in co-op. For example, there's a grapple tool that you get in some stages, and it can grapple items as well as other players. The problem is that it seems to focus on other players even if they're not immediately in front of you. For example, I could have an item that I need to grapple directly in front of me and have another player off to the side, and it will grapple the player instead.

Overall, I don't think I'd lump Sackboy in with Knack, but I would say that it's likely not a memorable game. Although, I do think that if you just want a (mostly) fun platformer that can be played in co-op and is easy to pick up and put down (each stage is entirely separate with an overworld level screen like some Mario games), then it's not a bad option.

I'm actually not terribly familiar with the other LBP games enough to say if it controls in a similar manner. I don't think the controls have a lack of precision in regard to standard platforming.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've been playing quite a bit of demon souls. Got to the boss in the first level and have to fight him now. Also unlocked the two shortcuts for that level. Man this is a tough game.

These levels are just long even with shortcuts. You still have to fight through a set of enemies to get to the shortcut then when you are going through the shortcut itself there's enemies there. I died about 20 times trying to go through the one route.

Also played spiderman miles morales. I got the pulse 3d on Saturday and I like it. I think the integration with the ps5 is nice for battery level and game/chat mix. It doesn't get too loud but I don't have the volume past half way when I play.

It does take forever to charge though. Even from 2 bars it took like 3 hrs for the light to go out, charging it with the cable it came with from the front usb a port. The headset itself has usb c.

On a side note, I found out the SKU of a series x and used the walmart app to input the SKU into their app and check inventory. One store said "limited stock". I went there and they said it's only online only sales. They didn't have any on the shelves.

Store #2 said "in stock" on the app. I went to this store and shelves were empty.

I asked the associate and told him I saw that the app says you have them in stock. He asks another co-worker if he can sell them. She tells him they are for online but since I'm here they allow it.

As the guy goes and gets it, 2 other people come in saying the app says they have ps5 and xbox series x in stock. No PS5's but they have xbox. He tells the guy he will have to come back in an hour or wait an hour.

They had to put it in a generic cardboard box for me to take it out the store.

So yea basically walked into Walmart and got a Series X. I never trusted their website stock info but the app let's you put in the SKU's and is pretty accurate on local store stock.

After I left the stock for that store on the app changed to "limited stock".

There are 2 shortcut unlocks? I only got the one that is at the top of the steps to the left, and then through that door up those stairs.

I also unlocked the one to the boss but I didn't really consider that a shortcut so I'm guessing you are referring to another one?

I faced the boss last night and I only died one time. It was pretty simple just took some time.

I'm not fully "getting" the whole human thing in the game. I've been human for like 10 minutes, two times (once at the start, once after beating boss) and then you die and have half life as a soul.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
There are 2 shortcut unlocks? I only got the one that is at the top of the steps to the left, and then through that door up those stairs.

I also unlocked the one to the boss but I didn't really consider that a shortcut so I'm guessing you are referring to another one?

I faced the boss last night and I only died one time. It was pretty simple just took some time.

I'm not fully "getting" the whole human thing in the game. I've been human for like 10 minutes, two times (once at the start, once after beating boss) and then you die and have half life as a soul.
Yea there are two shortcuts. At the top of the steps on the left and also on the right. To get the one on the right you go to take the left staircase shortcut, get to the top, go to the right where the blue knight is. Then go down the steps on the right and make your way around to the left side of the castle area. There's like 3-4 enemies ahead and you should keep following the path around until you get to some wooden stairs.

Eventually you come to a long ass bridge that if filled with enemies. If you go half way up the bridge a dragon comes up and uses fire on all the enemies. Run and make sure you don't get hit.

You can get to the other side and on the right side is a bunch of stairs that leads to the right hand side door of the starting level where the boss is.

They say to kill your character after every boss fight in the nexus. If you keep dying in human form, the game gets harder/enemies have more health, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yea there are two shortcuts. At the top of the steps on the left and also on the right. To get the one on the right you go to take the left staircase shortcut, get to the top, go to the right where the blue knight is. Then go down the steps on the right and make your way around to the left side of the castle area. There's like 3-4 enemies ahead and you should keep following the path around until you get to some wooden stairs.

Eventually you come to a long ass bridge that if filled with enemies. If you go half way up the bridge a dragon comes up and uses fire on all the enemies. Run and make sure you don't get hit.

You can get to the other side and on the right side is a bunch of stairs that leads to the right hand side door of the starting level where the boss is.

They say to kill your character after every boss fight in the nexus. If you keep dying in human form, the game gets harder/enemies have more health, etc.

Oh whoops sorry I did in fact get that shortcut duh. That was right after opening the door for the boss if you kept on that path. I forgot about that completely lol.

So why would you kill yourself as a human in the nexus if it makes the game harder when you die in the human form?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Oh whoops sorry I did in fact get that shortcut duh. That was right after opening the door for the boss if you kept on that path. I forgot about that completely lol.

So why would you kill yourself as a human in the nexus if it makes the game harder when you die in the human form?

From what this guy on YouTube says (fighting cowboy since I'm using his walkthrough).

If you don't kill yourself in the nexus and go through a level in human form, it makes the world darker each time you die as human. So to combat that system, killing yourself in the nexus and entering the levels in soul form is recommended so it doesn't get too difficult.