Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So, on the place my order screen now? Sigh.

And no longer available for shipping seriously, super frustrating. Can't believe I missed this.
Best buy now shows coming soon. I got all the way past check out to "continue to payment" but never went anywhere past that.

I'm wondering how best buy will function or not maybe at 12am when the 3080 cards go live.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Best buy now shows coming soon. I got all the way past check out to "continue to payment" but never went anywhere past that.

I'm wondering how best buy will function or not maybe at 12am when the 3080 cards go live.

I had the “place order now” button for a while and I kept mashing it.

I would guess the traffic for 3080s will be an easy order of magnitude less.

BB must of had some chaos behind the scenes. This isn’t the first time they’ve spiked traffic. Still bummed that I missed it thiligh.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sure, so they claim. Seems like a lot things are not quite what they claim in PS land.
Have you seen the gameplay of it? The whole warping between worlds and "teleporting" is only possible the way it's done because of the speed that it can load.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm pretty confident like nobody got one at Best Buy other than the 1 guy on the BB Twitter thread that did it VERY early on. Nobody else I've seen anywhere on multiple forums got through.

I also needed to order my damn washer/dryer tonight because it was the last day of the sale and I could not because of this shit.

But then when they seemed to remove PS5 from being in stock completely and the site wasn't slow, I could now check out with my washer/dryer.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm pretty confident like nobody got one at Best Buy other than the 1 guy on the BB Twitter thread that did it VERY early on. Nobody else I've seen anywhere on multiple forums got through.

I also needed to order my damn washer/dryer tonight because it was the last day of the sale and I could not because of this shit.

But then when they seemed to remove PS5 from being in stock completely and the site wasn't slow, I could now check out with my washer/dryer.

Well, maybe tomorrow then.

Congrats on the washer and dryer though 😂

You just inspired me to check on a fridge since our compressor is dying. My model is sold out. Ha. Sigh.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Oh well, blame the retailers they are the ones that jumped the gun. I'll make some calls tomorrow but I doubt it. Most people are saying stores are also sold out as well.

Time to try my luck for a 3090 next week.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah that’s the point I got too as well

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Oh well, blame the retailers they are the ones that jumped the gun. I'll make some calls tomorrow but I doubt it. Most people are saying stores are also sold out as well.

Time to try my luck for a 3090 next week.

I’m hearing that as well. Stores sold out unfortunately. I’ll go ask them but won’t hold out hope.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I just went online to see if the preorder started after midnight tonight and everyone is sold out lol. Bestbuy just lit up for the digital version and instantly sold out again.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Have you seen the gameplay of it? The whole warping between worlds and "teleporting" is only possible the way it's done because of the speed that it can load.
Sure, the warping was a short sequence, it already had loading screens embedded in it. The teleporting was moving 10-20 ft in the same level, nothing amazing. Guess we will see what happens.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I tried these links as soon as I saw them and it wouldn’t add to my cart. All gone by now I guess.

So Best Buy got stuck on the cart and wouldn’t go to the order process page for 2 hours. Sold out. GameStop literally went into DDos attack defense mode and crashed and when it finally went up it wouldn’t add to my cart, Amazon wouldn’t add to my cart, target let me add it but sold out before I could even process the order, never did see Walmart but I heard they were the first one live and sold out in like 20 seconds.

Guess I don’t get a ps5. Biggest problem for me was the whole “sign up and we will notify you when information becomes available” and no emails or they were so late it sold out before you received it. Plus back in July Sony said they would give lots of advanced notice. So much for that lol. Seemed like kind of a mess and leads me to believe the rumors of supply issues are true. Hearing stories like between 4 GameStops they sold out and the total was only 18 units. Pre orders for PS4 at my closest store was over 50 and Sony claims the ps5 to have better availability than ps4 at launch? Doesn’t seem so.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I got as far as checkout on best buy but it just wouldn't go through. I made the fatal mistake of going out today thinking Sony would keep their word about tomorrow but I should have known.

God getting much of anything anymore has become such a pain in the ass. This was every bit as miserable as tracking down Neca/Black Series exclusives. Gone in seconds if not bogged down website, but the bots always seem to scoop up theirs as ebay listings go up in droves soon after for twice the price or more. And you can be sure RTX cards will be the same way.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been wondering if people are going to use those same scripts that they used to pick up any in-stock Nintendo Switch consoles to help nab something like the PlayStation 5.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
I tried these links as soon as I saw them and it wouldn’t add to my cart. All gone by now I guess.

So Best Buy got stuck on the cart and wouldn’t go to the order process page for 2 hours. Sold out. GameStop literally went into DDos attack defense mode and crashed and when it finally went up it wouldn’t add to my cart, Amazon wouldn’t add to my cart, target let me add it but sold out before I could even process the order, never did see Walmart but I heard they were the first one live and sold out in like 20 seconds.

Guess I don’t get a ps5. Biggest problem for me was the whole “sign up and we will notify you when information becomes available” and no emails or they were so late it sold out before you received it. Plus back in July Sony said they would give lots of advanced notice. So much for that lol. Seemed like kind of a mess and leads me to believe the rumors of supply issues are true. Hearing stories like between 4 GameStops they sold out and the total was only 18 units. Pre orders for PS4 at my closest store was over 50 and Sony claims the ps5 to have better availability than ps4 at launch? Doesn’t seem so.

I think it was live for like 5 mins, luckily I snagged one and giving my target preorder to a friend

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
When I was looking up the pre-orders yesterday, I noticed that there appears to be a first-party media remote. I’m wondering if this means that Sony will be returning to pushing media playback kind of like what they did with the PS2 and PS3. I wouldn’t mind a UHD player that is quiet and supports auto-switching Dolby Vision. Most cheaper UHD players aren’t that quiet, and while some players support Dolby Vision, a lot require you to manually change the mode. Sony’s own UHD player requires you to manually change it, so I’m not holding my breath.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I was going to preorder but I missed out because everyone sold them early. I guess this makes the decision on whether to buy s PS5 or not easier.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was going to preorder but I missed out because everyone sold them early. I guess this makes the decision on whether to buy s PS5 or not easier.

Yep total mess. At least the Xbox is a little more controlled and transparent about how things are going to work. Sony didn’t even do much of a hardware overview, Microsoft already basically did a whole teardown.

I’m not a total fan of Microsoft and the Xbox now but at least they didn’t pull a Sony here. Sony said “we will give you ample notice” and then didn’t give any notice, just chaos. Microsoft set a firm date for everyone to prepare for. They also said “we believe in generations and that new games should be developed for the new console hardware” then come to find out two of the biggest titles we saw announced prior to Wednesday, horizon and spider man, are actually cross gen titles and not strictly ps5 exclusives. Turns out there are very few true ps5 exclusives. At least Microsoft made it clear that the first year would see games that span across the Xbox one and series consoles and we wouldn’t see series s/x exclusives for a while. A little more transparency there.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think Sony wasn't expecting MS to announce the Series S and start preorders until October. They were completely caught off guard.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think Sony wasn't expecting MS to announce the Series S and start preorders until October. They were completely caught off guard.
I got an email in outlook last week saying I can preorder xbox series x on Sept 22nd. Sony didn't care to do a tech reveal and they definitely stated preorders start 17th of September on twitter. It's the retailers that screwed up. Where Sony failed is in the communication phase here.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I got an email in outlook last week saying I can preorder xbox series x on Sept 22nd. Sony didn't care to do a tech reveal and they definitely stated preorders start 17th of September on twitter. It's the retailers that screwed up. Where Sony failed is in the communication phase here.
Yeah, seems like it was a complete goof up by Sony to not have dropped the pre-order date at the same time in the presentation as the price reveal.

Also, miscommunication issues aside, I don't know why they set the pre-order date to be midnight after the price unveil. From a business standpoint, it is prudent to let the price and preorder date info disseminate through the press before the pre-order date arrives. Sony already knows the Xbox pre-order date so they could have easily set their pre-order date to Monday and still come out ahead.

After Sony's big win during the Xbox One / PS4 generation, I kind of expected Sony to goof up and regress to the average but damn, this shouldn't be that hard since their main competitor has already played their hand.