Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I got an email in outlook last week saying I can preorder xbox series x on Sept 22nd. Sony didn't care to do a tech reveal and they definitely stated preorders start 17th of September on twitter. It's the retailers that screwed up. Where Sony failed is in the communication phase here.

Microsoft set it up with retailers to secure a firm date. Sony did not. Heck they didn’t even have anyone talking at their showcase. It was like watching a compilation video on YouTube.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Microsoft set it up with retailers to secure a firm date. Sony did not. Heck they didn’t even have anyone talking at their showcase. It was like watching a compilation video on YouTube.
Yea I started watching that video last night and I was like wtf is this, I'm not even impressed with anything. I heard it was walmart who tweeted that preorders are live and 5 minutes later target and best buy followed suit. I think this happened maybe an hour after the keynote.

Best buy sent me an email to preorder around 8:20pm and of course I did don't have my phone one me until 30 min later. The site was trashed by then lol.

Not sure if you saw Nvidia apologize to consumers about today's 3080 launch. I was on their site refreshing like a madman..just to see if I could add one to cart. I never saw one available at all.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yea I started watching that video last night and I was like wtf is this, I'm not even impressed with anything. I heard it was walmart who tweeted that preorders are live and 5 minutes later target and best buy followed suit. I think this happened maybe an hour after the keynote.

Best buy sent me an email to preorder around 8:20pm and of course I did don't have my phone one me until 30 min later. The site was trashed by then lol.

Not sure if you saw Nvidia apologize to consumers about today's 3080 launch. I was on their site refreshing like a madman..just to see if I could add one to cart. I never saw one available at all.

That’s about how it went down. Sony didn’t make any announcement during the showcase, there was a twitter post about the 17th but they weren’t up front and official about it so they basically said screw it I guess.

Nvidia’s situation is different. They have extreme supply constraints and the only retailer that was able to handle the traffic was amazon. I did not even realize they were launching today and I had just gotten back from vacation and was unprepared. I know I would t have gotten one either. So I will have to wait until next year more likely than not to do a GPU upgrade and I’m pretty doubtful I’ll get a PS5. I may wait for god of war before I really seek one out. Ive heard rumors that Walmart cancelled their in store preorder plans and are doing online only for that remainder on the 22nd. So look out for that. I think that’s also why reports of GameStop stores only doing like 10 or so per store is a thing. They don’t want a hundred people standing in line and crowding into the stores.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Walmart preorders supposed to go up tonight at 9pm EST according to the pages.

disc version - https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation5-Console/363472942

discless - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-5-Digital-Edition/493824815
Thanks good to know. Was on the phone with my girlfriend 12 minutes too long lol but now it says to check back later.

I'm in the same camp as the rest now, I'll get one when I get one. Not like they have some stellar game lineup I'm gonna miss out on.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Thanks good to know. Was on the phone with my girlfriend 12 minutes too long lol but now it says to check back later.

I'm in the same camp as the rest now, I'll get one when I get one. Not like they have some stellar game lineup I'm gonna miss out on.
It was a shit show at 9pm. I was refreshing prior then it started hanging and by the time it showed up it was already out of stock. People on CAG got some though so apparently it wasn't all bots.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh shit I just got one at walmart! It came back in stock and when I went to check out it kept saying it was out of stock, but the 4th time it went through.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Had one in the cart at walmart, entered my info and card and went to pay but it said sold out. They still might put more up throughout the night.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

I’ve pretty much decided I will wait until god of war to worry too much about getting one

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought I read somewhere that they promised BC for the 100 most popular PS4 games.

OK, that would be a weird thing to make possible. 100 most popular games would legitimately include the earliest releases to the latest, I think, which would not be hardware related....so this screams "made available in the digital store to play on PS5." If that is the case, then that is not BC.

BC = your PS4 disc purchased in 2015 or whenever can be played on the PS5. Just like all the other discs from your PS4. That's what BC means. The end.

If what you're saying is true, then it sounds like they are just selecting some titles to make digital and "accessible" by the PS5. ...now, if they are talking the top 100 "disks/games" that were popular, meaning the physical disc that you got in 2015 out of their top 100 can be played, but some other one from that year can not, then that would be insane....could they do that with some sort of software key that allows it to work? Well, of course they could...I'm not suggesting that is what's happening. Very unlikely.

...but I mean, it is Sony, right? :D

FWIW, I specifically picked up my PS3 60gb, among the 2 versions that were available at the time, I think, because it was full BC. I could play all my PS2 and all my PS1 games on it. ...I still can, and it still works, lol. (then again, maybe it was the only one around at the time, so it was just known that "PS3 is full BC," and well, we know that certainly changed with all the following releases.)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
OK, that would be a weird thing to make possible. 100 most popular games would legitimately include the earliest releases to the latest, I think, which would not be hardware related....so this screams "made available in the digital store to play on PS5." If that is the case, then that is not BC.

BC = your PS4 disc purchased in 2015 or whenever can be played on the PS5. Just like all the other discs from your PS4. That's what BC means. The end.

If what you're saying is true, then it sounds like they are just selecting some titles to make digital and "accessible" by the PS5. ...now, if they are talking the top 100 "disks/games" that were popular, meaning the physical disc that you got in 2015 out of their top 100 can be played, but some other one from that year can not, then that would be insane....could they do that with some sort of software key that allows it to work? Well, of course they could...I'm not suggesting that is what's happening. Very unlikely.

...but I mean, it is Sony, right? :D

FWIW, I specifically picked up my PS3 60gb, among the 2 versions that were available at the time, I think, because it was full BC. I could play all my PS2 and all my PS1 games on it. ...I still can, and it still works, lol. (then again, maybe it was the only one around at the time, so it was just known that "PS3 is full BC," and well, we know that certainly changed with all the following releases.)

99% of all ps4 software works on ps5.

The 100 games being referenced is the PlayStation plus library they are offering to subscribers on the ps5 so they can go back and play some of the top ps4 titles at no extra cost (except PSN+ membership)

Reactions: Tlh97 and zinfamous

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
99% of all ps4 software works on ps5.

The 100 games being referenced is the PlayStation plus library they are offering to subscribers on the ps5 so they can go back and play some of the top ps4 titles at no extra cost (except PSN+ membership)

PS+ Collection is confirmed to be 14 games so far, not 100.

The 100 is most likely what they have validated? It is unclear and vague. Guess won't know the real answer until people try it. Possibly they will handle it like Xbox 360 BC where you need to download a special digital version with the disc used as license validation only.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
PS+ Collection is confirmed to be 14 games so far, not 100.

The 100 is most likely what they have validated? It is unclear and vague. Guess won't know the real answer until people try it. Possibly they will handle it like Xbox 360 BC where you need to download a special digital version with the disc used as license validation only.
PS+ collection is different than what games will be BC. They never said every game that is BC will be part of the collection.

But I think it's safe to assume that whatever games are on the PS+ collection are (obviously) BC.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Jesus @purbeast0 is this now three you preordered? You planning to scalp or something?
Nah I'm going to just make sure I have one for myself and none get canceled or anything and then I have like 5 people all asking me for any extras I have so I will give whatever ones I don't use to friends/family.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
What a s-show. I just happened to be in my Best Buy app on the day of the announcement and I saw it was available for pre-order. Of course by then it was too late.
Hopefully I'll have some better luck with the XBox. Or I may not see a new gen console until well into the next year.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What a s-show. I just happened to be in my Best Buy app on the day of the announcement and I saw it was available for pre-order. Of course by then it was too late.
Hopefully I'll have some better luck with the XBox. Or I may not see a new gen console until well into the next year.

Yeah Microsoft says Xbox goes live on Tuesday 11AM. It’s a lot more controlled. Also I believe the supply for the Xbox will be a bit better if Microsoft is to be believed. Either way I think Sony let it get out of hand by being so vague. Even seen some “also on pc” on some of their videos that they claim is a mistake. I think some of them will be on pc but they didn’t want everyone to know that. Also some titles they pushed as ps5 exclusives are actually going to be on PS4 too. This is understandable but they had thrown jabs at the Xbox for their titles being cross gen so it sends an odd message IMO. They haven’t been very open about this information and didn’t set a firm day for preorders and it turned into chaos. Very amateurish if you ask me and it’s not as if Sony is new to this. They seemed to rush into this.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah Microsoft says Xbox goes live on Tuesday 11AM. It’s a lot more controlled. Also I believe the supply for the Xbox will be a bit better if Microsoft is to be believed. Either way I think Sony let it get out of hand by being so vague. Even seen some “also on pc” on some of their videos that they claim is a mistake. I think some of them will be on pc but they didn’t want everyone to know that. Also some titles they pushed as ps5 exclusives are actually going to be on PS4 too. This is understandable but they had thrown jabs at the Xbox for their titles being cross gen so it sends an odd message IMO. They haven’t been very open about this information and didn’t set a firm day for preorders and it turned into chaos. Very amateurish if you ask me and it’s not as if Sony is new to this. They seemed to rush into this.
There is a difference between the "cross gen" games on Xbox and PS4/5 though.

The "cross gen" games on Xbox will be 1 game that works on all consoles. It's 1 sku.

The exclusives that are going to be on PS4 and PS5 are built for each platform. They are 2 separate skus.

I also think the demand for the new Xbox is not going to be anywhere near the Sony demand but we will see.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah, Idk about y'all but I was disappointed when I found out that Horizon Forbidden West was going to be on PS4 as well. I'll still buy it when it launches and hopefully will play it on the PS5, but so much for it being a true next-gen only title... :rolleyes:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The "cross gen" games on Xbox will be 1 game that works on all consoles. It's 1 sku.

The exclusives that are going to be on PS4 and PS5 are built for each platform. They are 2 separate skus.

I also think the demand for the new Xbox is not going to be anywhere near the Sony demand but we will see.

Yes, I think they are different versions and at least, from non-Sony games that have PS4 out already, and will release PS5 versions, some distributors are offering free upgrades if you already own the PS4 version when PS5 is released (Borderlands 3, for example, and I know I've seen this mentioned from other distributors).

....I think this is different than those issues that existed with the earlier cross-gen releases, infamously Dragon Age : Inquisition, right? that was dubbed handicapped by PS4/XBone owners at the time because there was only one console version released, IIRC, and it was low-fi, or whatever you want to call it, to run on the previous consoles, and you simply got an "upsampled" version of the one base game, with crappy FPS to run on the new gen consoles.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yes, I think they are different versions and at least, from non-Sony games that have PS4 out already, and will release PS5 versions, some distributors are offering free upgrades if you already own the PS4 version when PS5 is released (Borderlands 3, for example, and I know I've seen this mentioned from other distributors).

....I think this is different than those issues that existed with the earlier cross-gen releases, infamously Dragon Age : Inquisition, right? that was dubbed handicapped by PS4/XBone owners at the time because there was only one console version released, IIRC, and it was low-fi, or whatever you want to call it, to run on the previous consoles, and you simply got an "upsampled" version of the one base game, with crappy FPS to run on the new gen consoles.

Other than better loading times I wouldn't expect much more from any PS4 game. If the game has a PS4 Pro patch you should be at least get that.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
PS+ collection is different than what games will be BC. They never said every game that is BC will be part of the collection.

But I think it's safe to assume that whatever games are on the PS+ collection are (obviously) BC.

Yes, I know, I was just pointing out that the 100 PS4 games they claim are BC is not the same as the PS+ collection.

PS5 BC is still vaporware IMO, even during the showcase they made a disclaimer that the games shown were captured on PS4. Pretty odd when they make a point to say all games shown were running on PS5 during all their events. Surely they could show BC games running on PS5 also?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

1 sku but two different versions of the game on the disc depending which console it’s put into. Like a pc graphics options except you have them automatically selected.

Still Sony is sending a mixed message with some games also being on PS4 while also saying they support generations. There will be little practical difference between buying a PS4 game and then getting an “upgrade” to the ps5 version vs buying the Xbox game and it working on the new hardware with some more options. Essentially the same thing. It is going to be hard to shake off the what if it wasn’t speculation no matter what. At least for a while. Spider man for example looked good but I’m not sure I would call it something the PS4 couldn’t do just from watching the video.

As for demand I think you are right. I expect the $300 price point of the Series S to attract some though.

Last edited: