Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 93 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
PS5 is $450 at Best Buy now and I think Target is dropping it as well since I saw an ad about it. I'm not sure if it's permanent or not.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
PS5 is $450 at Best Buy now and I think Target is dropping it as well since I saw an ad about it. I'm not sure if it's permanent or not.
It's marketed as the Playstation Back to School Sale and is across the board right now. But is probably just them clearing out old stock leading up to the PS5 Slim release.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
PS5 "slim"? Doesn't look like it has been shrunk much.

Will be interesting to see the internal changes. I would suspect that they ditch the custom SSD as standard NVMe drives have already exceeded the speeds they were aiming for.

Jul 27, 2020
It's not really slim. Maybe less weight and allows Sony to sell a ton of expensive BD drives attaching to the USB-C port. And I don't think those will be good quality drives. Sony will cheap out on the materials and people will have to buy two or three drives over the entire lifetime of the console. Exactly what Sony wants. They are forcing people to pick their poison. Don't buy the drive and get shackled to the PS network and contribute to their digital sales revenue or get a drive by paying on top of the console price and then pay every time the drive craps out.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
PS5 "slim"? Doesn't look like it has been shrunk much.

Will be interesting to see the internal changes. I would suspect that they ditch the custom SSD as standard NVMe drives have already exceeded the speeds they were aiming for.

-TBF the standard PS5 is so deceptively large (I don't own one but when I first saw it in person I thought it was like a joke prop from Ikea or something) that even a shrunk down model can look huge without something for scale.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Looks like without the detachable blu-ray drive it would be significantly smaller than the PS5 Digital Edition. With it though it's a chunky mfer.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Looks much smaller in my opinion. If never be able to hold my PS5 with one hand as easily as the person does in the video.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I couldn’t care less about a slim variant since my PS5 fits perfectly in my media cabinet. I’d be all over a Pro version though.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I couldn’t care less about a slim variant since my PS5 fits perfectly in my media cabinet. I’d be all over a Pro version though.

Hopefully we've progressed far enough that the Pro just has the same footprint as the launch model, and ideally the same acoustic footprint. My launch unit is very quiet, its so annoying when it crunches a disc for a bit when launching a game for the first time!

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I've been playing Sleeping Dogs. It's kind of cool but... the reason I bring it up is because not only is there no patch, it's on the naughty list. I believe the reason is because of crashing on loading saves which has happened. You get a message saying that there might be issues playing when starting the game every time.

It's just a reminder that not every PS4 game is fully compatible.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Playstation just announced the Playstation Portal remote player.

$199.99, It will solve all your remote play problems!*

* Excpet PS+ premium streaming, that doesn't work, just regular PS5 games you run on the console**
** Oh, it also doesn't support bluetooth audio so you can't use your existing wireless headset***
*** but you can buy the new wireless headsets that supports the new Playstation Link protocol**** that the portal supports...
**** the PS5 doesn't support Playstation Link, but you can use the included USB dongle on your PS5, you don't need all those USB ports anyway

Or you could just stream to your ipad that you probably already have...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yah I don't understand who the target audience is for this thing. I think it's going to do worse than the PSVR2. The only surprising thing to me is that it's $200. I expected it to be $300+.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yah I don't understand who the target audience is for this thing. I think it's going to do worse than the PSVR2. The only surprising thing to me is that it's $200. I expected it to be $300+.
So is PSVR2 a bigger flop than the original? I don't ever hear anyone talking about PSVR 2 anymore.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So is PSVR2 a bigger flop than the original? I don't ever hear anyone talking about PSVR 2 anymore.
The original wasn't a flop at all. It's why they made a second one because it did so well for what it was.

You aren't hearing about PSVR2 anymore because they literally haven't announced anything for it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like PS plus prices are going to go up. I most likely will cancel and not play any game online unless they make games require you have a psn subscription.

The only thing I liked honestly were the "free" games that are offered each month allowing you to try games you may have missed or not heard about.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yah that is such BS. They are just doing what every other subscription service is doing - raising prices without adding extra benefits.

I hadn't had PS+ for like 5 years and I got it in June to play SF6 online. Paying $80 a year just to play SF6 online is not something I am a fan of. The only good thing is I still have 9 months left on my current plan.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Looks like PS plus prices are going to go up. I most likely will cancel and not play any game online unless they make games require you have a psn subscription.

The only thing I liked honestly were the "free" games that are offered each month allowing you to try games you may have missed or not heard about.

Yeah, pisses me off as well. Especially when they pull games that were offered, like Strays.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The only concern is cloud saves which won't work unless you have the subscription. But i am pretty sure the saved game files are stored on the console itself and just asked up to the cloud.

The games offered every month aren't even that good. Some were saying they are doing this because starfield is being offered through gamepass the same day it comes out but I don't follow that correlation at all.

Gamepass is a better value if one actually has time to play all the titles that are offered monthly on there.

I was lucky enough to grab Stray from the last time steam had a sale. One day I'll play it and that's another thing, even though games were attached to your account and subscription they would remove them from whatever tier subscription you have. I honestly would log in every month to get the ps+ free games added to my account but out of all of those, I've maybe played a total of 2 or 3 max.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The free games on PS+ are of zero value to me for the most part. They are all old games that had I wanted to play, I would have when they came out.

Same with gamepass. It's just a bunch of old crap that I've already either played or didn't want to play when it came out. Sure they offer some new stuff that is included, like Starfield, but none of that is stuff I want to play. It's been 2.5 years since XSX was released and I haven't purchased one game for it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I honestly don't know why I still have a series x either. I only ever used it for red dead 2 and I think I'm close to finishing it but it has not been turned on in like a year lol.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Thankfully, I don't use PS+ so the price hike doesn't affect my wallet, but for those who choose to play the free games rather than "owning" games outright and/or those who play online, this does majorly suck.

I bought a PS+ 12-month subscription code for like $40 many years ago which I never activated because I don't play online... Maybe I should sell it and make a small profit now that PS+ is more expensive... Hmmm...

Jul 27, 2020
I bought a PS+ 12-month subscription code for like $40 many years ago which I never activated because I don't play online... Maybe I should sell it and make a small profit now that PS+ is more expensive... Hmmm...
Dunno why you think it would still activate :)

If it doesn't, do you think Sony support will help you?

I bought the PS3 copy of Portal 2 when it came out. It had a Steam code that I neglected to add. Two or three years later, I try to activate the code and it doesn't work because the service designed to accept it (some sort of collaboration between Valve and Sony) had been shut down. It was a frickin' Steam code yet Steam wasn't accepting it. I complained to their support. Their short reply was, the offer is no longer available. They are lucky that I'm not Superman. I would have walked into their HQ and would have come out either with Portal 2 in my library or their HQ in shambles.