Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Isn't only nintendo that sold their consoles for profit? As far as I remember xbox and playstation have always sold for a loss in the beginning.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Isn't only nintendo that sold their consoles for profit? As far as I remember xbox and playstation have always sold for a loss in the beginning.

There's people here who think otherwise, that's why I brought it up. The PS4 was close to breakeven but not quite.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I haven’t even played it yet, just claimed it from the PS+ catalog. This is exactly the kind of updates I hope that a lot of games get on PS5 since I skipped PS4. Sweet!

Oh man do you have about a billion great games to check out then. And most of them are really cheap now.

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Oh man do you have about a billion great games to check out then. And most of them are really cheap now.

Between PS+ monthly drops and the PS4 classics I am pretty sure I may buy 1-3 games total for my PS5, not counting what was bundled. Persona 5 Royale is the leading contender - only because the base version is all that is available via the classics selection. So close!

The bigger issue is time to play them all. A lot of these games seem really, really long. I may play 1-3 games per year at this rate.

EDIT: Saw over at Ars they highlighted how they are up to ~47M PS+ members and they see the sub model as basis for long term profitability. I find it hard to argue with that, and honestly the free games coming with it are needed to compete for my attention compared to my Xbox Game Pass and Epic weekly free games on PC. Like I said I am unlikely to buy many games but even a discounted PS+ sub is money and maybe helps me decide to buy a game or two I really want.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Between PS+ monthly drops and the PS4 classics I am pretty sure I may 1-3 games total for my PS5, not counting what was bundled. Persona 5 Royale is the leading contender - only because the base version is all that is available via the classics selection. So close!

The bigger issue is time to play them all. A lot of these games seem really, really long. I may play 1-3 games per year at this rate.

Haha yeah Persona 5 Royal is long with a capital L. But highly worth buying over playing the original Persona 5 even if it's included with PSN for a whole host of reasons.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Walmart restock today at 3pm ET.

Once you see the "add to cart" button show up on Walmart for the item you want, click the link below. It's a direct add to cart link for the items.

DO NOT REFRESH IT. Let it spin.

If you get a 521 timeout error, THEN refresh it and wait again.

Even if the "add to cart" button on the listing page isn't working the links below should eventually work. It will take you directly to the cart with the item in your cart if it successfully worked.

PS5 DISC: https://affil.walmart.com/cart/buynow?items=363472942
PS5DIGITAL: https://affil.walmart.com/cart/buynow?items=493824815

I also recommend you are logged into your Walmart account with your shipping/credit card info already saved to speed things up.

Thanks man, just used your link to land a PS5 from Walmart's 3:40 EST drop.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Walmart will most likely ship it out before that date too based on my personal experience with them.

Glad you all got one!

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Walmart will most likely ship it out before that date too based on my personal experience with them.

Glad you all got one!

If the FedEx driver doesn't steal it lol. Though probably much lower odds with FedEx where it would be someone risking a good job with benefits in a horrendous economy vs if I got it off amazon and it would be someone making crap pay who is an independent contractor.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If the FedEx driver doesn't steal it lol. Though probably much lower odds with FedEx where it would be someone risking a good job with benefits in a horrendous economy vs if I got it off amazon and it would be someone making crap pay who is an independent contractor.
Speaking of FedEx, I ordered a new projector lamp last week which shipped by FedEx and it said it was delivered but it clearly hadn't been delivered here as I have 2 cameras outside and no FedEx truck came down my street. I called them immediately and opened a case. Within like 30 minutes someone else called me back saying they were going to contact the driver and they would get back to me as soon as they heard.

About 30 minutes later my doorbell rang and there was just a car outside. A lady had a box in her hand and said "I live over on blah blah street with the same house number and this was delivered to me". I couldn't have been happier.

They straight up delivered it to the wrong street. The street names aren't even remotely close either. One begins with a B and is a Street and mine starts with an M and it's a dead end culdesac and is a Court.

Needless to say, I never received another call from FedEx about it but didn't care because I had my new lamp.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Speaking of FedEx, I ordered a new projector lamp last week which shipped by FedEx and it said it was delivered but it clearly hadn't been delivered here as I have 2 cameras outside and no FedEx truck came down my street. I called them immediately and opened a case. Within like 30 minutes someone else called me back saying they were going to contact the driver and they would get back to me as soon as they heard.

About 30 minutes later my doorbell rang and there was just a car outside. A lady had a box in her hand and said "I live over on blah blah street with the same house number and this was delivered to me". I couldn't have been happier.

They straight up delivered it to the wrong street. The street names aren't even remotely close either. One begins with a B and is a Street and mine starts with an M and it's a dead end culdesac and is a Court.

Needless to say, I never received another call from FedEx about it but didn't care because I had my new lamp.

I had an issue with Herman Miller chair that I ordered last month. Was supposed to be delivered on a Wednesday and never showed up. Every day it would get updated as expected for delivery. By Saturday it was finally out for delivery but never showed up. Finally on MLK day, it showed mysteriously as delivered which was impossible since not one of the 3 cameras showed anything and the dogs would have barked their heads off. I called FedEx to see wtf was going on and they put a tracer on it. About 2 hours later, I guy in a smaller, unmarked delivery van shows up with it. Mind you, Herman Miller chairs come fully assembled in a huge box so it's not like it fell under the conveyor or behind another package. Anyways, I hate FedEx with a passion and would never personally use them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had an issue with Herman Miller chair that I ordered last month. Was supposed to be delivered on a Wednesday and never showed up. Every day it would get updated as expected for delivery. By Saturday it was finally out for delivery but never showed up. Finally on MLK day, it showed mysteriously as delivered which was impossible since not one of the 3 cameras showed anything and the dogs would have barked their heads off. I called FedEx to see wtf was going on and they put a tracer on it. About 2 hours later, I guy in a smaller, unmarked delivery van shows up with it. Mind you, Herman Miller chairs come fully assembled in a huge box so it's not like it fell under the conveyor or behind another package. Anyways, I hate FedEx with a passion and would never personally use them.
I've never had issues with FedEx before and get a lot of packages from them via Amazon.

In December I had an issue with USPS where I sent a PS5 on December 30th to Arizona Priority Mail. It was $91 to ship it and it was supposed to arrive by like Jan 4th.

Other than "package accepted" it did not update at all. January 3rd there was a status change of just "package is on way to next facility."

On January 10th I went to the post office I dropped it off at to talk to them about it and the supervisor told me that they are super short handed now due to covid and the budget cuts and that she said it's either sitting in a pile in one of 2 hubs around me.

January 14th it finally updated and said it was received at one of those hubs. Then on January 17th I believe it was finally delivered.

That is the last time I will be using them for a large expensive package. I insured it for the retail price but I have heard getting back a refund from USPS insurance is a nightmare so I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Thankfully the buyer was as calm about it as they were because had I paid that much for a PS5 + $90 to ship it on December 30th, and received it nearly 3 weeks later, I would have been livid.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think I am done with Astros Playroom. Def liked it.

BTW I have a feeling that all of the exclusives are going to get delayed now due the PS5 shortage, starting with R&C. I think the plan was to have R&C be released just as the PS5 availability started to get decent.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
R&C has been stated first half of 2021 so that means June at the latest unless it's delayed. The whole "launch window" release time frame they give is just annoying because it can literally mean whatever they want it to mean.

I don't know if I'm getting good at Demon's Souls or the bosses are easier, but the last 3 I faced were not THAT tough. The Flamelurker gave me a challenge but I finally got around to finishing him off. Then the Dragon God was not even like a "normal" type of boss but it was intimidating and cool as hell. And the first time I faced the Penetrator I beat him. I almost thought it was like a mini-boss just because I took him down so easily and only used 3 of the grasses during the battle.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

You might like Sackboy if you liked Astro’s Playroom.

BTW I have a feeling that all of the exclusives are going to get delayed now due the PS5 shortage, starting with R&C. I think the plan was to have R&C be released just as the PS5 availability started to get decent.

The only reason that I could see the delay an exclusive would be to get better initial sales. Although, Sony does have sales figures for Demons Souls to use as an example of how well a PS5-only game can do. On that note, let’s hope they don’t consider Godfall’s performance. :p

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Ugh and stack that on top of the delays from COVID that are going to plague 2021. God help us if PS5 gets exploited and people start mining on it next.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I got sick of missing in stock Media Remotes and refused to pay more than MSRP. On Jan 30th I noticed a retail price Prime offer from Amazon among the options for delivery in mid March so I just pulled the trigger. If figured it would just arrive and make a day in March a little better.

I just got the notification that it is out for delivery today, so I guess that makes today better :)

It seems like the posts about Plex buffering issues are all a couple months old so I hope that is over with at least.