Official: Oculus Rift pre-orders on Wed, Jan 6th @ 11am EST (8am PST)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I ordered one. Not sure if I'll flip it, cancel it, or keep it though. Price was quite a bit more than I expected, and I'm disappointed it doesn't include the touch controllers for that price. I got in late so I'm a June order. Plenty of time to read reviews and see what they're selling for before deciding.

My biggest issue is this is a v1.0 product. Likely there is going to be another significantly better version in a year or two at most. $600 is a lot for that vs a gaming monitor that I know will last me 5-6 years at least. Someone is going to figure out foveated rendering and these 1.0 sets will be useless at that point.

pooptastic

Oct 18, 2015
Gamers used to spend a small fortune on Voodoo cards just to play Quake.

I'm one of those people. Bought a 3dfx voodoo 1 for $300 when it was new.

Bought my latest 970 for ~300 after it was a year old.

Don't have 600 lying around to get a VR rig for it though. Also had hoped my 3930k would meet requirements, but it doesn't. I'm on the edge of their userbase, but just missed me i guess. :(

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm one of those people. Bought a 3dfx voodoo 1 for $300 when it was new.

Bought my latest 970 for ~300 after it was a year old.

Don't have 600 lying around to get a VR rig for it though. Also had hoped my 3930k would meet requirements, but it doesn't. I'm on the edge of their userbase, but just missed me i guess. :(

I somehow don't believe that. They probably used default clock speeds and generalities to come up with their approved CPU list. Anyone who disrespects Sandy like they did should be slapped.
Also, a voodoo 3 was my first video card if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'd think a moderate overclock would easily get you above the minimum recs.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'd think a moderate overclock would easily get you above the minimum recs.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I like how you said it twice to really drive home the fact that Sandy is still badass, and certainly "VR Ready!" I fully agree. Long live Sandy. Best damn CPU ever made.