Official: Oculus Rift pre-orders on Wed, Jan 6th @ 11am EST (8am PST)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
This is what I think every time I hear that name....

pizza-hut-has-a-new-box-that-turns-into-a-movie-projector-for-your-smartphone.jpg

Its not a joke man. Google cardboard saves lives.

So its like, the rift can't even work with a standard USB port, yet meanwhile google pizza box technology is saving babies from certain death? Yeah, the rift creator is just chasing the dollar, meanwhile he lets babies DIE. You all let them die.

SIX HUNDRED BIG ONES YO!
HPjDjro.jpg

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So I guess a lot of people are freaking out about the $600.00. I'll be honest about the price. I don't think its a lot. This is supposed to be a quality VR experience. What the hell did people expect to pay for something like this? They expect it for free?

That last line is where your post made me sigh a bit. No, no one expected this "for free", but the problem comes from the NUMEROUS posts from Oculus personnel talking about the price. The DK2 costs $350, and most posts expressed that it would cost more than the DK2, but not by much. The other comment is that it would cost $1500 to get an Oculus and a suitable PC. The comment also specified "for the masses", which in my opinion, "the masses" do not build their own PCs. So, I built a CyberPowerPC desktop that met the minimum requirements (i5-4590, GTX 970, 8GB RAM), and it cost $1085. That leaves $415 for the Oculus based upon their $1500 figure.

In other words, their vague remarks mislead people, and said people aren't that pleased by it. To note, I did buy one and haven't actually complained about the price. I do wish it was more like $450-500 though. For $100 more, I could buy another really nice gaming monitor that I can use for more than just VR.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Well that does suck. The price almost doubled. So don't buy it. Let them suffer. Go with the Vive instead. Big ZUCK can afford to take the hit anyway.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Seems like there are two things you can do when you're the first to market.
1. price it high because there's no competition
2. price it low, become the de facto standard, and seize the lion's share the market for the foreseeable future.

Feels like they went middle of the road. For me, $600 seems fair, but doesn't feel good enough for me to commit to a pre-order. I'm going to wait and see.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
That last line is where your post made me sigh a bit. No, no one expected this "for free", but the problem comes from the NUMEROUS posts from Oculus personnel talking about the price. The DK2 costs $350, and most posts expressed that it would cost more than the DK2, but not by much. The other comment is that it would cost $1500 to get an Oculus and a suitable PC. The comment also specified "for the masses", which in my opinion, "the masses" do not build their own PCs. So, I built a CyberPowerPC desktop that met the minimum requirements (i5-4590, GTX 970, 8GB RAM), and it cost $1085. That leaves $415 for the Oculus based upon their $1500 figure.

In other words, their vague remarks mislead people, and said people aren't that pleased by it. To note, I did buy one and haven't actually complained about the price. I do wish it was more like $450-500 though. For $100 more, I could buy another really nice gaming monitor that I can use for more than just VR.

Oculus has a line up of PCs on their website that are in the $900-$1000 range.

IMO, hardware enthusiasts that are used to new tech costing serious money aren't too surprised or offended by the price. I was expecting around $499 and was hoping for $399. When I first saw $599, as evidenced by my earlier posts, I went back and forth for about 30 mins. Then I started looking into everything that came with it and some of the specs started to trickle out and it made more sense. I wasn't aware that we'd be getting OLED and a 90HZ refresh.

I spent over this amount for a gaming 120HZ monitor last year that I ended up getting rid of. I think this experience is going to be MUCH more interesting and unique than what I got out of that ASUS Swift. Sure the price is too high for this to go "mainstream", but that wasn't the intention right off the bat.

IMO, I really respect Oculus for taking their time with this thing. Remember, it has been nearly 3 years since the kickstarter. They could have farted out a cheapo headset and cashed in, but they didn't. They are wanting to do right by the tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Why do I want this thing? God I feel stupid. I kind of want one now. Maybe the Vive though. God screw this thing I want it but I don't. I think I need to try one at a booth somewhere first. I'm just pretty curious about what its like.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Why do I want this thing? God I feel stupid. I kind of want one now. Maybe the Vive though. God screw this thing I want it but I don't. I think I need to try one at a booth somewhere first. I'm just pretty curious about what its like.

htc had a world tour last year from june to dec. there was a bus with some vives you could demo. Maybe they'll do another one this year.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

I had a DK1 and even with the crappy screen in it, it was amazing :thumbsup: Completely sold me on the tech and I've been eagerly waiting for the consumer version.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I had a DK1 and even with the crappy screen in it, it was amazing :thumbsup: Completely sold me on the tech and I've been eagerly waiting for the consumer version.

That's the thing. We have to step back and say, this is pretty dang HUGE, you know? Nothing like this exists. The fact that you can buy it for $599 - while relatively expensive - is also amazing. Does anyone remember buying a computer ten or twenty years ago? My first Win98 box back in 1999 was like $1,400 with a 14" CRT...we skipped out on our yearly family vacation because we all voted in favor of getting a personal computer that year. For even more perspective, the original Mac 128k from 1984 sold for $2,495, which is $5,683 in 2016 dollars. People are whining about having to spend $600 on a flippin' amazing 3D headset & then an additional grand to get a top-end gaming PC. A thousand bucks for a PC that can play any game seems pretty reasonable, at least compared to the historical figures that computers sold at in the past.

I'm not saying that it's not a lot of money, because it is, but it's cutting-edge technology on the very forefront of being released, so yeah...while I am bummed that the price increased, ultimately I talked myself into it because it is pretty dang neat technology & I'd really like to get into it. It will only get cheaper & better over time, so no use in complaining unless you can't stand waiting. Or just save up a bit more. Again, if you order today, it will ship (and charge you) in May, which means that if you tuck away $40 a week, you'll have enough to cover a Rift by May. Oculus dropped the ball by not prepping people on the price & I think that's really what the real issue is. I wish it wasn't $600, but it is, and has upgraded hardware in it (OLED screen @ 90fps, c'mon!), so it is somewhat justified. It just stinks it played out the way it did, that's all.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
My first experience was DK2 and it was awesome. Surprisingly, Google Cardboard offers a reasonably good experience for the small cost of the case.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So, if you have two GPU's, does each GPU run its own monitor? Or does it even work with dual GPU? I guess I should do some reading. Looks like I got plenty of time though since these just became unavailable until 2017 basically.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
So, if you have two GPU's, does each GPU run its own monitor? Or does it even work with dual GPU? I guess I should do some reading. Looks like I got plenty of time though since these just became unavailable until 2017 basically.

I would guess that it's rendered at 2160×1200 and split between the screens.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Since when was it a good idea or accurate to go by vague remarks?
VR is not a gamer's starter kit, a console is. VR, despite past efforts is still bleeding edge for the market and such products are for the more serious gaming hobbyists so if entry level gamers want one bad enough, they can take out a loan or suck it up because first generation prices on anything was never cheap. It has to mature in the market first and it's still a risky one.

That's the thing. We have to step back and say, this is pretty dang HUGE, you know? Nothing like this exists. The fact that you can buy it for $599 - while relatively expensive - is also amazing. Does anyone remember buying a computer ten or twenty years ago? My first Win98 box back in 1999 was like $1,400 with a 14" CRT...we skipped out on our yearly family vacation because we all voted in favor of getting a personal computer that year. For even more perspective, the original Mac 128k from 1984 sold for $2,495, which is $5,683 in 2016 dollars. People are whining about having to spend $600 on a flippin' amazing 3D headset & then an additional grand to get a top-end gaming PC. A thousand bucks for a PC that can play any game seems pretty reasonable, at least compared to the historical figures that computers sold at in the past.

I'm not saying that it's not a lot of money, because it is, but it's cutting-edge technology on the very forefront of being released, so yeah...while I am bummed that the price increased, ultimately I talked myself into it because it is pretty dang neat technology & I'd really like to get into it. It will only get cheaper & better over time, so no use in complaining unless you can't stand waiting. Or just save up a bit more. Again, if you order today, it will ship (and charge you) in May, which means that if you tuck away $40 a week, you'll have enough to cover a Rift by May. Oculus dropped the ball by not prepping people on the price & I think that's really what the real issue is. I wish it wasn't $600, but it is, and has upgraded hardware in it (OLED screen @ 90fps, c'mon!), so it is somewhat justified. It just stinks it played out the way it did, that's all.

I remember when HT VR's was about $2000-$3000 and when VR arcades cost like $5 for x amount of minutes. But if it does turn out to be popular then prices will come down pretty quick over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Don't you get a CV1 free or did you not get yours through KS?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

VR SLI allows each GPU to work per eye.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Since when was it a good idea or accurate to go by vague remarks?

You act like these are silly rumors from "a good source" and not from the executives of the company that's actually creating the product. It's Oculus's goddamn problem that they threw around a bunch of terrible information that lead their interesting buyers astray.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
You act like these are silly rumors from "a good source" and not from the executives of the company that's actually creating the product. It's Oculus's goddamn problem that they threw around a bunch of terrible information that lead their interesting buyers astray.

I do agree the messaging has been poor as evidenced by the still unpublished specs (Luckey gave some out during interviews.) This is why they need to keep Luckey in the background running the engineering side of things and get an educated and experienced public face running PR.

EDIT: Accidentally called him "Lackey" instead of Luckey haha

Aug 29, 2015
I would like one or maybe the VIVE, will wait for reviews of both first. My main concern is that there are no games I would want to play. I have looked at Eve Valk and it looks boring to me.

This article has me concerned:

http://tmi.kotaku.com/i-think-im-getting-bored-of-virtual-reality-1591731928

I was interested in watching movies but I heard that isn't that great either. I will wait for some thorough reviews and to see what happens with games first. I would love VR and I will pay, but I need there to be some games for me. Most of the stuff I play now would not work in VR.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011

Really? How you gonna snipe in BF4 with this goofy thing??? :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I would like one or maybe the VIVE, will wait for reviews of both first. My main concern is that there are no games I would want to play. I have looked at Eve Valk and it looks boring to me.

This article has me concerned:

http://tmi.kotaku.com/i-think-im-getting-bored-of-virtual-reality-1591731928

I was interested in watching movies but I heard that isn't that great either. I will wait for some thorough reviews and to see what happens with games first. I would love VR and I will pay, but I need there to be some games for me. Most of the stuff I play now would not work in VR.

I think that article has a lot of good points, especially this one:

That was my big takeaway as I strolled through the no-longer-hallowed halls of virtual reality: I needed more. When these things—Oculus Rift, Sony's Morpheus, whatever else is announced by then—launch, the wow factor won't last. Not for long, anyway. In truth, I really don't think it'll even be enough to get many people in the door. Oculus wants to drive down the price as much as possible—and that's good!—but there's still the matter of convenience, of choosing between strapping on a hot, claustrophobic mask for hours versus just, you know, playing a video game.

While I am excited for it, I do recognize it is somewhat of a niche product:

1. You can't share it; you have to play solo. You can sit next to someone else with a second Rift, but...eh. It's not like sitting down in your living room with your family & friends to play a game or watch a movie.

2. As the author mentioned, you are strapped into a large, hot, claustrophobic mask for hours versus simply turning on your TV or projector. This isn't going to be appealing to everyone. Down the road, they will fix these issues...eventually it will be a thin, lightweight, wireless headset...but not for many years.

3. Particularly without accessories, I do think people will get used to the effect & get bored. They are really going to have to work hard to do things in games to amp up the VR experience so that it stays fun & relevant and doesn't just because a beautiful, expensive gimmick.

The primary reason I want to get into VR is to make exercise less boring. I bought a VR exercise bike & I'm really curious to see if (1) playing a game controlled by an exercise machine in (2) an immersive environment will have the psychological effect of making exercise more fun by creating such a powerful distraction that I don't dread doing it every day. I feel the best when I do at least thirty minutes of cardio a day (really 45 minutes), but I have to fight myself to do it a lot, especially when I'm tired. The best setup I've done is by putting my exercise machine in front of the TV with Netflix, but because the TV doesn't turn off when I stop working out, it's easy to veg instead of work. With the VirZoom, for example, you have to pedal to go faster in the car racing game, so you can't just be a loaf. I can see a lot of interesting things down the road, like customized HIIT programs tied into competitive games like that, so you get sucked in easier.

Honestly, I don't know if VR will ever truly take off like they want it to. I am personally overly excited about it, but that doesn't mean it's going to be wildly successfully. 2016 marks the year it becomes readily available to consumers, but all of the headsets are hefty, tethered to the source player, and require expensive devices to run, so they're not exactly 100% accessible to everyone in the way that say consoles & flat-screen televisions are. But, they'll get better over time...what remains to be seen is if they can stay relevant long enough & add enough to the user experience to grow.

I think horror is a great genre for VR, for both games & movies. Flying solo with an enclosed headset gives you a lot of opportunities to all kinds of great scares. I think the hardest thing for content creators to break into will be filmmaking. My buddies in the filmmaking world who are experimenting with 360 3D VR camera rigs are running into a lot of issues...you have to hide the tripod (or drone, or whatever mounting system you use), make sure everyone who isn't in the film is out of the shot, yet still light people effectively & monitor their performance, etc. It's doable, but it's not cheap and it's not nearly as straightforward as simply shooting with a standard camera or even 3D camera setup. Nokia has a pretty neat $60k rig that is highlighting the future of VR movies:

https://ozo.nokia.com/

Things like the Walking Dead would be insane, or LOTR. It takes a lot more planning because you're not controlling the shot in terms of where the viewer is looking...you have to provide cues for the main action as well as interesting stuff to watch if the viewer is looking somewhere else. There's also various possibilities in watching 2D films on a big virtual screen, 3D films on kind of a 2D virtual plane, and partial VR films, because I don't imagine you're going to want to spin around 180 degrees on your couch just because something is filmed in a 360 bubble. I'd imagine what they'll settle down on eventually will be like a half-sphere video setup where they can mostly control your POV & FOV, but you can still look around and get that 3D VR effect, but you won't have to move around too much in your chair. It will be interesting to see what actually ends up working over the long term.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The best setup I've done is by putting my exercise machine in front of the TV with Netflix, but because the TV doesn't turn off when I stop working out, it's easy to veg instead of work.

Sounds like you needed to hook that bike up to a generator, have it juice up a battery, and then hook the TV up to the battery. If you don't exercise to charge the battery, the TV will just shut off as there's no juice to power it. :p

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Sounds like you needed to hook that bike up to a generator, have it juice up a battery, and then hook the TV up to the battery. If you don't exercise to charge the battery, the TV will just shut off as there's no juice to power it. :p

There's a couple out there that cut the signal to your TV set if you don't pedal, pretty smart:

http://www.d2tech.net/

http://www.magnetrainer.com/TVPedaler.php

This would be really good for kids because from what I can tell, every little kid on the planet has a screen addiction...setup an app on the tablet & a Bluetooth radio in the pedals so that the screen goes dim the less you pedal (and of course, put a timer in there so they don't get glued into the game for three hours and pass out, haha).

Anyway, lots of possibilities for amping up the exercise experience. I don't like going to the gym, but I also struggle with motivation at home. So an immersive VR experience sounds like the right ticket to keep things fun & engaging. I dunno. We'll see!