*official* Oblivion Thread, opinions?

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

topslop1

May 8, 2004
Is there some form of available speed hack so I don't have to run my face off from town to town?

And - is there anyway to zoom out on the minimap to see more of it?

And - How do I obtain more spells and level up?

Sorry about the double post - I had an error.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
i think he is looking for "fast travel" ....

Oblivion n00bs look here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310239

it is the 'pinned FAQ' at the Ob forums . . . very useful for starting out. ;)
:thumbsup:

reading the Oblivion Game MANUAL answers 80% of the usual questions . . . :p
. . . the Pinned Faq convers 15+% more . . . ;)

So were do I get the other 5% :p
From this thread?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: wizboy11
i think he is looking for "fast travel" ....

Oblivion n00bs look here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310239

it is the 'pinned FAQ' at the Ob forums . . . very useful for starting out. ;)

reading the Oblivion Game MANUAL answers 80% of the usual questions . . . :p
. . . the Pinned Faq convers 15+% more . . . ;)

So were do I get the other 5% :p
From this thread?

from me . . . of course . . . i know everything about Oblivion
:Q

:D

j/k'ing . . . :p
. . . although i was probably the first player to report 1000+ hours with *everything* maxed - Level 92 without cheats or mods. :)

Really . . . the best source of info is the Oblivion Forums [if you can stand the children infesting the place] ;)

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Wow, what a game. I feel withdrawl now that I've finished the main quest. Please tell me there's an expansion folks.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
there's an expansion pack . . . next month

and you DID complete more than the MQ? . . . there are nearly 400 'places' and 90 unique Oblivion gates to shut and 9 guilds to join and 4 to master [FG/DB/MG/TG] . . . plus all the plugins . . . i actually finished the game at level 92 without cheating . . . over 1.000 hours . .. .

i am also looking forward to the expansion next month

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999

and you DID complete more than the MQ? . . . there are nearly 400 'places' and 90 unique Oblivion gates to shut and 9 guilds to join and 4 to master [FG/DB/MG/TG] . . . plus all the plugins . . . i actually finished the game at level 92 without cheating . . . over 1.000 hours . .. .

Wow nice, thats a crazy character.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: DukeN

Not really, there were plenty of hardcore nerds who hit level 99 the first month the game was out. Not to mention the guy who beat the game at level 1 without killing anybody. I thought I loved the Elder Scrolls games but not enough I guess.

And I think you can master more than just the Fighters Guild, Mage Guild, Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood. You can also become Master and/or Champion of the Arena too.

As for paying for an expansion, I want to be hardcore but I am not. As much as I love Oblivion they changed too much from Morrowind. Not quite as much fun for me. I didnt buy any of the $1.99 add-ons so I dont think I'll be getting a $30 expansion pack either.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: DukeN

Not really, there were plenty of hardcore nerds who hit level 99 the first month the game was out. Not to mention the guy who beat the game at level 1 without killing anybody. I thought I loved the Elder Scrolls games but not enough I guess.

And I think you can master more than just the Fighters Guild, Mage Guild, Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood. You can also become Master and/or Champion of the Arena too.

As for paying for an expansion, I want to be hardcore but I am not. As much as I love Oblivion they changed too much from Morrowind. Not quite as much fun for me. I didnt buy any of the $1.99 add-ons so I dont think I'll be getting a $30 expansion pack either.

first of all .... NO one hit level 99 the first month without cheating . .. there aren''t enough hours in a month. :p

i was the first to report over 1,000 hours on the official forums and that was in May.

"Arena" is not a guild . . . and you can become champion in about an hour.

there are a lot of people who like Oblivion much better than MW . . . i wouldn't know . . . i won't go back and play the old games.

not all the Oblivion plugins were worth it . . . some of the user created mods are better . .. probably the best were the Razor, Spire and Pirates in diminishing order . . . Vile was also OK i guess - if you wanted to be bad.

Since i already have the plugins - except spell tomes, i figure it won't be so much for the added Quest . . .

but after 1,200+ hours i am burned out on Oblivion
[and havent played it in months . . .
... like 2] :p

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: topslop1
Is there some form of available speed hack so I don't have to run my face off from town to town?

Your first (and I think your third) question is answered in the manual, which comes with the game when you purchase it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: CTho9305

Your first (and I think your third) question is answered in the manual, which comes with the game when you purchase it.
Telling people to read the manual for a game is like telling people to read the manual for a TV.
They'd rather harass other folks into showing them how.

Also, the lack of a map zoom is one of the many reasons I like Oblivion less than Morrowind. All of the UI changes were horrible and geared towards the dumbing-down of video games these days (i.e. consoles).

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000

Telling people to read the manual for a game is like telling people to read the manual for a TV.

Yeah, but I'd rather not help people who likely pirated something I actually found to be worth the money.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I wonder if one of you veterans can shed some light on this. At the Roxey Inn, there are three adventurers (2 male, 1 female), along with a legionaire, Pranal, and his love interest (forgot her name) the clerk. I had already completed the quest to get the silver pitcher and 4 glasses so Pranal can offer Heavy Armor training in return.

During one of my visit, though, a peculiar scene is played out. As I entered the Inn, a legionaire began to attack the 3 adventurers. Pranal and the clerk joined in the fight as well but got easily overpowered. The clerk got knocked unconscious. Pranal ran out and headed toward a nearby ruin. The adventurers followed him. The legionaire pursued them. I went along also to watch the scene unfold. At the ruin, a wolf and a bandit also joined in the melee attacking anyone in sight. In the aftermath, one of the male adventurers, Pranal and the legionaire died. The question I have: does Pranal remain dead for the rest of the game or does he come back alive? I thought he was a necessary NPC since he was the one doing the advance heavy armor training.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ricochet
I wonder if one of you veterans can shed some light on this. At the Roxey Inn, there are three adventurers (2 male, 1 female), along with a legionaire, Pranal, and his love interest (forgot her name) the clerk. I had already completed the quest to get the silver pitcher and 4 glasses so Pranal can offer Heavy Armor training in return.

During one of my visit, though, a peculiar scene is played out. As I entered the Inn, a legionaire began to attack the 3 adventurers. Pranal and the clerk joined in the fight as well but got easily overpowered. The clerk got knocked unconscious. Pranal ran out and headed toward a nearby ruin. The adventurers followed him. The legionaire pursued them. I went along also to watch the scene unfold. At the ruin, a wolf and a bandit also joined in the melee attacking anyone in sight. In the aftermath, one of the male adventurers, Pranal and the legionaire died. The question I have: does Pranal remain dead for the rest of the game or does he come back alive? I thought he was a necessary NPC since he was the one doing the advance heavy armor training.

remains *dead* ... he is not "essential" ... you just lose a Trainer and the mini SQ.

no 'return' unless you use the console ...

just reload an earlier save

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I just restarted the game a few days ago. Only up to Level 4 :eek:

I hadn't played in about a month, then I had to reload the OS (my fault...messed up while trying to Ghost to my new box) so I restarted. I DID save my "Oblivion" folder with the saved games in it to my backup drive...but I elected to start over since I was a vampire and hated it.

I'm at the point in the MQ where I have to kill the vampires in the cave to get that goddess statue to help me. I'm not strong enough to beat them yet, though. My magic is really, really weak. Can't even use an "Open Very Easy Lock" spell. That's HOW LOW it is.

Oh well...I'll probably just wander around and level up, then go back and do the MQ.

Side Note: My new PC has much higher hardware specs (3.2GHz C2D/7900GTO) and Oblivion looks totally gorgeous! It looked really good on my X800GTO, but tons better now. +10 hardware points ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i love how it looks with HDR + AA on my new x1950p :p

and yes, level up ... or use trickery ;)

MichaelD, you might like Gothic 3 ... but wait till it is bargain bin [and don't expect anything from the Endings]

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Yep, HDR is beautiful. You're running AA? What resolution do you play at? I'm at my monitor's default 12x10; though I haven't actually TRIED running AA in Oblivion, this game is a system-killer...I like my details/shaders on med/high. Looks great. I can't stand "big screens"; I.E. playing at 800x600 just so I can set all details on high. I prefer a "wide screen" as in a larger view/perspecitve when I game. If I could run a higher res, I would. I think there's a 24" widescreen in my future. Way down the road, though.

I have no probs running 4xAA/16xAF in games like FEAR or HL though. Maybe I should try AA in Oblivion?

BTW: What is this "trickery" you speak of? Console hacks? :p I don't like to cheat...defeats the purpose of actually playing, IMO.

Funny though; I've only played this game twice (or have had two characters, more precisely.) The first was a normal human...forget the class. I had lots of magic. My character now is a Nord. No magic at all, but fights much better than the last character.

Having no "open lock" spells REALLY sucks!!!!! :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i don't think you can ... on a 7x00 series nvidia card ... your choice is either Bloom+AA or HDR

when i used x800 series i used 4xAA+Bloom/ 11x8/ *no grass*/everything else --except some shadows - maxed.

learn how to 'pick' the lock ... easy, really ... i mastered it long before i got the Skeleton Key...
... just quicksave immediately before so you don't lose a lockpick. ;)

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: ricochet

remains *dead* ... he is not "essential" ... you just lose a Trainer and the mini SQ.

no 'return' unless you use the console ...

just reload an earlier save

That is what I feared. The essential NPC only goes unconscious. I will have to decide whether to retrieve a previous save or continue on. Unfortunately after that scenario I had continued on playing for another 4 hours. I just don't want to use the console for fear of undesirable results.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
^ Yes. If you use the console you can fix that. Don't you have ANY type of earlier save, though?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Also, the lack of a map zoom is one of the many reasons I like Oblivion less than Morrowind. All of the UI changes were horrible and geared towards the dumbing-down of video games these days (i.e. consoles).

Luckily there are mods to fix everything wrong with it.

Though I must say, starting the game with Oscuro's mod is very hard. In the original game, I started as a stealth character and had no problem sneaking my way to victory. Now I'm a spellsword and I'm crap. I can't fight anything worthwhile, and I don't even have my sneaking abilities anymore.