Official NHL playoffs 2012 thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The Kings were already awarded the Stanley Cup after game 2 of the Western Conference Finals. The only reason they're making them play the rest of the games is for the ad revenue.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Agree, no point in playing the games. Frolov for the Conn Smythe. Potvin pitches four consecutive shutouts.

In all seriousness, should be a great series, I hope the Devils can hang with em; LA has certainly proven themselves against the best teams in the Western Conference.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Not only that....

Let's say, NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers. Who are fans of who?
NJ Devils - NOT EVEN ONE player from New Jersey - closest one - from Rochester, NY.
Another thing, who needs that mockery - to play a national anthem before the match?
It's not international - kinda World Championship. And NJ Devils have only 7 americans - 1/3 of the team made of US players.
NY Rangers have 9. Doesn't it look like a joke?
Best idea IMHO would be to play HOCKEY ANTHEM....or in most NHL teams case - anthem of Canada - where most players are from.

When NJ Devils vs NY Rangers - it isn't NJ vs NY. It's just OWNERS of that teams and ARENAS where is all LOCATED.
It just shows, how easy is to fool people. If I had a money bag and able to buy a team and to find an arena, where team would play, I WOULD ALWAYS to find tens of thousands of idiots, who will think that's theirs team, will bring all their money to team matches, buy merchandise, EVEN IF A TEAM roster will be out of players from another continent, which fans of the team would have troubles pointing on a globe or a map.

Isn't ridiculous, when New Jersey cheer for team that has no player from New Jersey?

A US National Anthem for Canadians, Czechs, Swedes, Finns, Russians....etc?
Isn't that ridiculous?

Ummm You cant be serious..... Right?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Before i forget, my finals picks:

LA > NJ in 6

Was 2/2 correct last round.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
It's aboot time they got this thing started!

Brodeur vs. Quick... should be a good series if the Devils D can limit the Kings big forward's time and space in the slot and around the crease. Kings will need to slow down Jersey's manic forcheck to get fast, clean breakouts.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

Brodeur vs. Quick... should be a good series if the Devils D can limit the Kings big forward's time and space in the slot and around the crease. Kings will need to slow down Jersey's manic forcheck to get fast, clean breakouts.
The only time Phoenix put any kind of pressure on LA was when they went crazy with the forecheck, creating turnovers on the breakout. At first LA seemed a little discombobulated, but then they seemed to regroup and charge out anyway. Made for some good hockey.

Can't wait for the series to start, GKG!

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Doughty will be tested, that's for sure. He's a supposed to be a future Norris winner and he's certainly better than anything New York had on the blueline, so it should be a great battle.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Doughty will be tested, that's for sure. He's a supposed to be a future Norris winner and he's certainly better than anything New York had on the blueline, so it should be a great battle.
Yeah, it seems like Sutter gave his bottom pairing Dmen way more ice time than Torts did. The Rags D... particularly McDonagh, Giradi, and Del Zotto were cooked by the early ECF. But... LA sure helped their own cause by ending their own playoff series in far fewer games.

Sep 29, 2004
Wow, am I the only one that thinks Brodeur is going to lead the Devils to a series win? Notsure if I'd say sweep, but 5 games?

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Wow, am I the only one that thinks Brodeur is going to lead the Devils to a series win? Notsure if I'd say sweep, but 5 games?

First goal of the game pretty much shows why that's not gonna happen. Quick is presently the better goalie, regardless of experience.

Loving the game so far though; great pace and action :D

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
thank goodness for the NHL Center Ice application on my iPad which is letting me enjoy the game in my office here in China. I am a big Brodeur fan so I am cheering for the

Michael

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I was lucky and was the the NYC area for the last series and saw 2 games (1 MSG and one PruCenter). I wish I was there this week as well ...

Overtime for game 1 and both teams look pretty even so far this game.

Michael

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Hockey strategy question from one who does not follow hockey close enough to know:

Is the risk really worth the "reward" for a goalie to go behind the net to stop a puck? (What is the reward?)

It just seems like a huge risk to leave the net unguarded in that situation.

MotionMan

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Hockey strategy question from one who does not follow hockey close enough to know:

Is the risk really worth the "reward" for a goalie to go behind the net to stop a puck? (What is the reward?)

MotionMan

It depends if you are a good puck handling goaltender or not. Brodeur, the Devils goalie, is probably the best the league has ever seen. He can short circuit the Kings's forecheck (that's when the forwards are attacking the defender that has the puck, trying to create a turnover) if he plays the puck well.

I thought by book was crazy for having a 8 road laying juice to a 6 home.

Nope.

I don't pay much attention to the money lines, I'd say these are pretty evenly matched teams. The Devils are now almost in a must-win position for Saturday. They need to bring a much better game. I still think they can be better than the Kings, but they certainly didn't show it tonight.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
The first two periods of the game were the most boring periods of hockey I've watched all playoffs. With that said, it looked like both teams came out flat (for a while), and neither team could really figure each other out. The looked identical out there. The third period got much better. Now that they have their skating legs, I expect a much better game 2 from both teams. That loss sucked, but neither team really deserved to win that one imo.

I knew starting at home would be bad, because game 2 is now that much more important. Still... better to win game 2 vs game 1, because then we can carry the momentum going into LA, so let's make it happen!

Last edited:

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
....Is the risk really worth the "reward" for a goalie to go behind the net to stop a puck? (What is the reward?)

MotionMan

It is a calculate risk. The goal (no pun intended) is to keep the puck out of the other teams hands.

On a dump in (when the opposing team fires the puck into the corner from the red or blue lines) the goalie will stop the puck to keep it from going around the boards and potentially onto the stick of the other teams advancing players. You usually see this when the opposing team is going for a line change. If the goalie doesn't stop the puck the opposing teams player that stays on the ice during the change can keep it tied up long enough allow fresh players from the bench to jump in and setup a scoring opportunity.

The goalie will also play the puck and pass it to help his teammates when time and space allows. This keeps his teammates from having to win the race to the puck, absorb the hit from a forechecker, and then win the battle on the boards to maintain puck possession. This can lead to some tense moments, but in general the goalie will have enough time to get back between the posts before the other team can setup a shot.

More/Better scoring opportunities are created when the goalie doesn't play the puck and the forecheck forces a turnover behind the net or in the corner.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Ya that pretty much ruined my Wednesday. Was secretly wishing he was just going to announce a 1 year extension. But then all the radio stations confirmed he is gonna retire.

I don't really have the same feelings for Nick as I did with Steve retiring. I recognize the talent and the joy he had playing hockey for Detroit. I think this one may take time to sink in. When Steve Yzerman retired it hit me like a Mac truck. But Nick retiring...*shrugs*

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I don't really have the same feelings for Nick as I did with Steve retiring. I recognize the talent and the joy he had playing hockey for Detroit. I think this one may take time to sink in. When Steve Yzerman retired it hit me like a Mac truck. But Nick retiring...*shrugs*

True, Stevie was the Captain for 20 years, and he was electric. Nick was more the pillar of stability, and while he had a long career, was only captain, for what, 6?

Remember those scenes of North Korea when Kim Jong Il died? Ya thats kinda what Detroit was like when Yzerman retired.