***OFFICIAL*** Minority Report ROCKS!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Best movie of 2002 so far. Thumbs up!

I have a feeling this will remain my favorite of 2002 until December 18th when The Two Towers comes out. The only movie that might take the throne before then is Reign of Fire...it may be a sleeper hit. Don't know what to expect of it really.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
when I first saw the adds for Reign of Fire I thought it would be cool.... now I realize that it was just me wanting to see another movie with dragons in it that made me think it'd be cool. I saw a preview a second time and I think its not going to be any good. Rock music... everything blowing up and shooting everything.... its gonna be kinda dumb I think.

But I hope to be disprooved :S

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
from boxofficegurus.com

Friday.

Lilo & Stitch - $12.3 million
Minority Report - $11.3 million

neck and neck!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I didn't read all thru.. but am I one of the few who thought it was more on the weak side? I mean, it seemed interesting from the previews, but after watching it... didn't seem "GREAT."

one thing that bugged me was the whole eyes deal.. they made a big ol deal out of it... and completely dropped it.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: lnguyen
I didn't read all thru.. but am I one of the few who thought it was more on the weak side? I mean, it seemed interesting from the previews, but after watching it... didn't seem "GREAT."

one thing that bugged me was the whole eyes deal.. they made a big ol deal out of it... and completely dropped it.

how so? he got new eyes so why would he set off any scanners? :p

maybe lilo and stitch is more your thing.

whateverdude

Oct 6, 2000
well, I saw and really liked it except,

SPOILER!!!!

the ending kinda sucked. things were wrapped up too nicely, didnt leave you with anything to think about afterwards. it shouldve ended with lamars suicide without the explanations about what happened after that. or at least left you with less information.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
well, DUH he got new eyes to bypass the scanner :p i meant, he has 6hrs on the clock left before he could "open his eyes or go blind"... not to mention the spiders blinding one eye with light. It had no effect.. they should have had him partially blind in that eye.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: lnguyen
well, DUH he got new eyes to bypass the scanner :p i meant, he has 6hrs on the clock left before he could "open his eyes or go blind"... not to mention the spiders blinding one eye with light. It had no effect.. they should have had him partially blind in that eye.

**SPOILER**

Well, maybe he was and you just couldn't tell :) Maybe one eye healed faster than the other...maybe the doctor was blowing smoke up his ass?

After all, the doctor DID rat him out...how else would the PreCog cops know he was in that building? I mean, did you even watch the Cops episode on TV where they said they had a lead on him?? He probably told him 12 hours so that he would stay there long enough to get caught. Remember, John had the guy arrested for burning those people. You didn't think he'd actually be THAT nice to him did ya??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jooksing
i liked the movie, but all those product placements was too much.

The ones I REALLY paid attention to were the Lexus, GAP, and Nokia. Otherwise, who really cares?? Everyday life is filled with such things. You can't walk through your daily life without walking past some product of a particular brand. Be it in your kitchen, on the road, in your room, on a billboard, etc...

What's the big deal? :p

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001

i dunno, i thoghtt hey were just trying to show a future where advertisers had to switch tactics. with people using pvrs and skipping commercials etc;)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nefrodite

i dunno, i thoghtt hey were just trying to show a future where advertisers had to switch tactics. with people using pvrs and skipping commercials etc;)

LOL, yep. And their way of advertising was pretty cool IMHO :)

"Mr. Yakamoto, are you back to shop for some more tank tops??"

HEHEHE:D

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I just got back from the movie and it was really good. I thought it was really well directed and written. :)

Anyway, as for the product placements, from what I heard Steven Spielberg spoke with many futurists when trying to come up with how the future in the movie should be. The one thing they all really agreed on was that marketing in the future will similar to how it was in the film.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You guys disappoint me. You should all be moaning about the terrible ending where theLiberals and the ACLU gets everybody out of jail and set free. All those dirty filthy deserve to die people right back on the street. There's no doubt in my mind this movie was made by liberals to polute the mind of the young and set them up for the elimination of the death penalty. It's just terrible.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You guys disappoint me. You should all be moaning about the terrible ending where theLiberals and the ACLU gets everybody out of jail and set free. All those dirty filthy deserve to die people right back on the street. There's no doubt in my mind this movie was made by liberals to polute the mind of the young and set them up for the elimination of the death penalty. It's just terrible.

Leave it to, Moonbeam, to turn this thread into a political debate. :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

The people locked up technically didn't kill NE1.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

Leave it to, Moonbeam, to turn this thread into a political debate. :)

actually i think the ACLU was mentioned in the film;)

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
AWESOME movie -- definitely not as entertaining as, say, Spider-Man or Episode II, but man oh man, the script, characters, and direction are definitely the best of the year so far. Spielberg has a wicked sense of humor. :D

*******SPOILER********
Quick question: I thought the skin-changing thing that Anderton took was supposed to hurt like a motha when it's effects wore off. Was I wrong on that?

Also, uh... what's a Minority Report? I didn't catch on to that very well. :eek:

One thing that slightly bugged me was that even though Anderton was being hunted down for a crime, his eyes still let whoever used them into top secret locations (I.E. the jail, the temple, etc...) A minor nitpick, I guess.

Finally, I should stop reading detailed reviews of movies before I see them; I should just look at the tomato-meter and go based off of that. Most of the reviews for Minority Report that I read mentioned a "plot twist," so throughout the movie I knew something was going to happen that the audience doesn't expect. I figured Director Burgess was the bad guy basically from the beginning because I was looking out for something like that. Stupid reviewers. :( Or maybe I'm just too smart. :)
*******END SPOILER********

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
AWESOME movie -- definitely not as entertaining as, say, Spider-Man or Episode II, but man oh man, the script, characters, and direction are definitely the best of the year so far. Spielberg has a wicked sense of humor. :D

*******SPOILER********
Quick question: I thought the skin-changing thing that Anderton took was supposed to hurt like a motha when it's effects wore off. Was I wrong on that?

Also, uh... what's a Minority Report? I didn't catch on to that very well. :eek:

One thing that slightly bugged me was that even though Anderton was being hunted down for a crime, his eyes still let whoever used them into top secret locations (I.E. the jail, the temple, etc...) A minor nitpick, I guess.

Finally, I should stop reading detailed reviews of movies before I see them; I should just look at the tomato-meter and go based off of that. Most of the reviews for Minority Report that I read mentioned a "plot twist," so throughout the movie I knew something was going to happen that the audience doesn't expect. I figured Director Burgess was the bad guy basically from the beginning because I was looking out for something like that. Stupid reviewers. :( Or maybe I'm just too smart. :)
*******END SPOILER********

Of course it's not as in your face b/c this movie actually makes you use your BRAIN...not something I can say for Spider Man even though I LOVED Spider Man :D

1) Or was that WHEN he used the device it would hurt like a motha?:Q;) Either way, they didn't show him when it wore off so we'll never know.
2) The Minority Report is a report generated when person that could commit a murder has an alternate course of action besides murder.
3) Yeah, that sorta bugged me too since he was a wanted criminal...oh well :)

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I saw the movie yesterday. I loved the atmosphere it created for the future... very real, with all the ads and stuff. I also loved the comedy thrown in throughout the movie. Overall I think it was the most enjoyable movie i've seen since LOTR.

bloinkster

Jun 13, 2002
I thought the movie was pretty good,but there were definitely some parts that I thought were dumb. Why did his eyes roll so fast when he dropped them? And why wouldn't they cut off his access to that building? That made no sense. But overall it was a good movie.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bloinkster
I thought the movie was pretty good,but there were definitely some parts that I thought were dumb. Why did his eyes roll so fast when he dropped them? And why wouldn't they cut off his access to that building? That made no sense. But overall it was a good movie.

The walkway was on an incline. You ever roll a bouncy ball down the hall? :D I think that the eyes rolling part was more for comic relief. I know that just about everyone in the theater was laughing when that happened;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yup, the thought of my eyes rolling down a corrodor always makes me giggle histerically.

And we do know from Terminator that they deny you access when you go over to the dark side. We will have to assume, therefore, that as head honcho there, he programmed in a back door for his eyes from the clues the one eyed king gave him early in the film.

Phillip Dick also wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" on which Blade Runner was based. Anybody know the name of the story this one came from?

nachiketa1

Banned
Jun 25, 2001
minority report was ok, but not great, especially since the ending was pretty weak.

i like movies that leave you with a "punched in the stomach" feeling at the end and
make think about the movie long after seeing it. three movies that come to mind are "seven",
"the game", and "usual suspects".