**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: clicknext
Originally posted by: warcrow
Apparently some pictures taken? I doubt they're real:

http://rasnowl.com/hl2/

Probably real since they've started producing the games already. But Steam forces them to wait until it's released to play... unless someone has found a way to crack it already.

That first pic looks extremely chopped to me!!

But it's hard to tell on the others.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
From what I understand, if you set Steam in "off-line mode", it playable w/o being contected for reg. But who knows...I just heard that.

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
From what I understand, if you set Steam in "off-line mode", it playable w/o being contected for reg. But who knows...I just heard that.

From my last link

"For security/antipiracy, each copy must be authenticated via Steam during installation," Valve's Doug Lombardi told GameSpot. "After this one-time (per install) authentication is complete, an Internet connection is not required for single-player and LAN games."

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU

From my last link

"For security/antipiracy, each copy must be authenticated via Steam during installation," Valve's Doug Lombardi told GameSpot. "After this one-time (per install) authentication is complete, an Internet connection is not required for single-player and LAN games."

Pfft... :p

Pg. 12 (40 post/page) of this thread.

"Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

RealityTime

Oct 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Algere
Originally posted by: JBT

NICE, I SOOO hope a store breaks the release date !!!
Won't do much good except get it in ppl's hands faster. Doubt anybody would be able to play it until the 16th or whenever Steam allows for activation/authentication.

the protection will be broken within 30 minutes of the game getting in the hands of someone who has a mild knowledge of code. if someone of a certain persuasion gets their hands on one of these copies it will be on the internet over the weekend some time for certain.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: RealityTime

Won't do much good except get it in ppl's hands faster. Doubt anybody would be able to play it until the 16th or whenever Steam allows for activation/authentication.

the protection will be broken within 30 minutes of the game getting in the hands of someone who has a mild knowledge of code. if someone of a certain persuasion gets their hands on one of these copies it will be on the internet over the weekend some time for certain.
Well to date no one has cracked the preloads yet. On a somewhat related note, has the preload completely finished?

RealityTime

Oct 18, 2004

Well to date no one has cracked the preloads yet. On a somewhat related note, has the preload completely finished?

preload is not complete.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
preload is complete. stores have broken the release date. unlock the game valve.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002

They can't crack the pre-load material because it's encrypted. The hackers can't decrypt it (so far), but what they can do easily is crack an already available game (CS:S) to skip the Steam auth.

Feb 10, 2000

They can't crack the pre-load material because it's encrypted. The hackers can't decrypt it (so far), but what they can do easily is crack an already available game (CS:S) to skip the Steam auth.

The encryption isn't the issue, I don't think. A widely-available utility allows you to unpack every file presently available, including a .exe. I suspect they're holding out a critical, mission-essential file for the last minute. Also, I believe Steam starts HL2.exe with a different command-line control depending on the application (CS:S also uses this file), and HL2 won't presently open.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DonVito

The encryption isn't the issue, I don't think. A widely-available utility allows you to unpack every file presently available, including a .exe. I suspect they're holding out a critical, mission-essential file for the last minute. Also, I believe Steam starts HL2.exe with a different command-line control depending on the application (CS:S also uses this file), and HL2 won't presently open.
I wouldn't be surprised if the holdup is that they haven't sent out a version of the HL2 executable that can actually run the game, and that it's this way for both the Steam and retail versions.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The hackers can't decrypt it (so far), but what they can do easily is crack an already available game (CS:S) to skip the Steam auth.

Considering each public server makes sure users are authenticated with Steam, it wouldnt matter if they did that at all, except in a lan party setting...

RealityTime

Oct 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Modeps
The hackers can't decrypt it (so far), but what they can do easily is crack an already available game (CS:S) to skip the Steam auth.

Considering each public server makes sure users are authenticated with Steam, it wouldnt matter if they did that at all, except in a lan party setting...

just to let you know. the hacked version of cs:source on the internet allows online play. bizarre, but true. Valve needs to consider going back to using cd-key authorization as steam is obviously vulnerable.