**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
You know, this really sucks. After all this time I've waited, I'm still not going to be able to (by my will, not required) to play the friggin game when it's unlocked on my computer. For one, It's scheduled to be unlocked at 2 am my time (I go to college at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX... central time). For two, I have a bunch of tests that week that are really important (when are they not?), so I'm going to have to go without ANY games and very little computer time in order to make sure I do well on them. I've worked myself way too hard (89 hours in 2 years) to allow this flood of awesome games to rape my grades. I hate myself for doing this though... :|

Oh well... I guess That just means I'll have to make up for it the next week by diving headfirst into the super-gaming lifestyle:

Showers? Only for the weak!
Beer and Bawlz, there is no water in this world
Food is not food unless it can be prepared by someone else and brought to me (pizza anyone?)
Bathroom time is the only point at which gaming is put on hold, and even then, there will be those great handhelds by Nintendo ;)
Showers? Only for the weak!

That is gonna be one hell of a week.....

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Bummer Chris. Atleast you got your priorities straight. When you get a good job because of those grades, you'll be making more money, to build a better system and work less hours to spend more time gaming!!! :p

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow
Bummer Chris. Atleast you got your priorities straight. When you get a good job because of those grades, you'll be making more money, to build a better system and work less hours to spend more time gaming!!! :p

That's the mindset!

:beer:

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
I finally got around to watching the E3 2003 demo video and I was just floored by the interactivity, as well as the graphics and physics. Although I won't be able to play HL2 until January because of exams and being out of town, I'm glad there's finally a video game I'm excited about again. I'll be selling my XBox to fund a R9800 Pro purchase in a couple months.

:thumbsup:

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Alright, I caved in, bought the silver package on steam, and am pre-loading right now. I was holding out to buy the regular edition from bestbuy with my GCs. But i finally decided that i can use the GC on other purchases. I did not get a chance to read thru all 500+ posts, but I assume that the HL2 preload i'm currently doing will preload the entire thing as opposed the people that preloaded in multiple section a while back.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I dont believe so, you already have a username and password to login to steam with, they probably use that to verify ownership.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
since you are now required to register the game with steam, will the people that bought the retail copies be able to sell it after they finish playing?

Jul 8, 2004
Food is not food unless it can be prepared by someone else and brought to me (pizza anyone?)
Bathroom time is the only point at which gaming is put on hold, and even then, there will be those great handhelds by Nintendo
Are you sure you're a real gamer? A real gamer would have his IV of mountain dew and liqified pizza along with a couple of bed pans so that you never have to leave your seat. :laugh:

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
Anyone know if there is any chance that this will run on a T41 or 600m?

I have a 600m with only 32MB video (I couldn't find the 64MB option when I bought it in a frenzy during the $750-off coupon), a 1.5 GHz Pentium M, and 512 MB RAM, and it actually runs CSS reasonably well, so I imagine it will also run HL2.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito

I have a 600m with only 32MB video (I couldn't find the 64MB option when I bought it in a frenzy during the $750-off coupon), a 1.5 GHz Pentium M, and 512 MB RAM, and it actually runs CSS reasonably well, so I imagine it will also run HL2.

You're gonna be ok, Don. Should run fine if CS:S runs fine.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
can't wait can't wait can't wait. i foolishly just started playing doom 3, if i can't finish it in 7 days (around the schedule of taking care of my 4 week old and 2 year old, just fyi, i'm not THAT slow) it'll be put on hold when hl2 comes out. i'm actually considering running through half life again, just to get in the mood. so many games, so many games.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i was getting 111 fps on the stress test with high everything and 4x AA and 6x AF on 1280x1024. what are you guys getting on a system similar to mine? i'm not sure if its just me, but i swear everything looked purple tinted after tweaking around on the video settings. did anybody else experience this? i'm sorry if its been answered in this thread. but i'm at work and don't have time to read all 500+ posts.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: DonVito

You're gonna be ok, Don. Should run fine if CS:S runs fine.

Thanks ... I'll give CS:S a run to see how it goes on my T41 and 600m.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
but i swear everything looked purple tinted after tweaking around on the video settings

I get the same thing on my 6800 card every so often when running the stress test. I'm assuming it drivers. I think the drivers released today are the ones they were making for HL2. From what I've read, they clear up issues the 66.81 drivers were having with some white lines and so forth in CS:S.

Alfred

Oct 13, 1999
I am wondering if my Radeon LE & Athlon 2Ghz is sufficient to run HL-2 or not.......

Did anyone run the VST with Radeon LE??

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Alfred
I am wondering if my Radeon LE & Athlon 2Ghz is sufficient to run HL-2 or not.......

Did anyone run the VST with Radeon LE??

Let put it this way, the HL2 ill scale down to a tnt2 video card. ;)

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: haris
Bathroom time is the only point at which gaming is put on hold, and even then, there will be those great handhelds by Nintendo
Are you sure you're a real gamer? A real gamer would have his IV of mountain dew and liqified pizza along with a couple of bed pans so that you never have to leave your seat. :laugh:

I must confess, I believe I am that level of gamer just below the anti-social, completely sedentary level you just explained (that I think is at the top of the pyramid). :D

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Looks like a buddy of mine got his HL2 Gold package today:

It has the hl2 strat guide (xbox huge), soundtrack cd, which seems to hate my dvd drive, but from what Ive heard its very nice and military sounding.

3 posters (alyx, gman and gordie), 1 black HL2 logo sticker. 1 "Greetings from City 17 postcard" and a black baseball cap with the orange hl2 logo on it.

All comes in a nice big box with the gordon + crowbar pic that was released at the time hl2 was announced last year.

And no, I cant play the game yet. :(

Im in the UK too, so Its a bit odd that I got it early. Still, almost came when the fedex/bussinesspost guy handed me a box with "from: valve corporation" on it :D