• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PCHPlayer

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2001
1,053
0
0
Now that they announced that there is no manual I want to change my vote. I will be getting the silver package from STEAM, not a retail box.
 
Oct 19, 2000
17,861
3
81
I never use a manual, but I think it's stupid not to include one. Manuals are a lost art nowadays. I remember getting Diablo back in the day, and sitting for an hour reading the backstory for the game, and trying to learn all the nuances before I hopped in. Now, manuals (if you even get one) just tell you how to freaking install and start the game, something any self-respecting gamer should know already.
 

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
11,093
11
81
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I never use a manual, but I think it's stupid not to include one. Manuals are a lost art nowadays. I remember getting Diablo back in the day, and sitting for an hour reading the backstory for the game, and trying to learn all the nuances before I hopped in. Now, manuals (if you even get one) just tell you how to freaking install and start the game, something any self-respecting gamer should know already.
Not MMORPGs though. When I picked uo SWG, the guide was so big, with so much background story....I was impressed but wasnt interested in reading it. AC2 was the same way. But usually those games really do have an incredible amount of story to back them.
 

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
11,093
11
81
LATEST NEWS - 11/4/04 Half-Life 2 Preload Installer!

Saw this in another forum, its the Half-Life 2 Preload Installer!

It would have been nice to have seen valve create this tool, but someone else did it instead. It lets you burn your Steam cache files to DVD, with an autorun installer to reinstall them. Probably convenient for anyone who has to reformat.

Link!
 

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
4,249
1
0
Doug Lombardi Spouts on Steam


Yesterday, Valve's Doug Lombardi started posting on the SteamPowered forums with information on a handy tool that will be included in the near future that will help you create back ups of your cache files that will enable you to copy them on to CD or DVD.

In the near future you will be able to make a CD Backup of your games.
Then Taylor Sherman had more information:
...there will be a DVD-sized option for the Backup feature too. It's not going to actually burn the discs, but it will create a self-extracting archive that is broken up into the appropriate-size files.
 

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
2,642
0
0
There is a quick way to backup your files, in any case: type "steam://backup/" in the Internet Explorer address bar.
 

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
4,249
1
0
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
There is a quick way to backup your files, in any case: type "steam://backup/" in the Internet Explorer address bar.
Whoah, sweet!

It even compresses everything too
 

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
6,575
0
0
Oh, that's mighty stupid of them.

I was thinking about getting the Collector's just for that HL:S remake, but it barely looks touched. Not that important to me anymore.

Just gonna settle for the Regular edition.
 

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
3,884
0
0
HL2 set to release at Midnight Nov 16

I never use a manual, but I think it's stupid not to include one. Manuals are a lost art nowadays. I remember getting Diablo back in the day, and sitting for an hour reading the backstory for the game, and trying to learn all the nuances before I hopped in. Now, manuals (if you even get one) just tell you how to freaking install and start the game, something any self-respecting gamer should know already.
I agree, I love the ones that look like they got a lot of work. Homeworld was by far the best one I've ever seen. That manual was almost as big as the strategy guide.
 

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
7,430
0
71
Originally posted by: clicknext
HL2 set to release at Midnight Nov 16

I never use a manual, but I think it's stupid not to include one. Manuals are a lost art nowadays. I remember getting Diablo back in the day, and sitting for an hour reading the backstory for the game, and trying to learn all the nuances before I hopped in. Now, manuals (if you even get one) just tell you how to freaking install and start the game, something any self-respecting gamer should know already.
I agree, I love the ones that look like they got a lot of work. Homeworld was by far the best one I've ever seen. That manual was almost as big as the strategy guide.
I remember many classic NES games came with thick manuals that were essentially strategy guides. Dragon Warrior 3 anyone? Those were the days...
 

naruto1988

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2004
1,028
0
0
the day of reckoning will come soon...and millions of gamers will be playing half life 2 and the world economy will crash. lol, i can't wait =D
 

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
21,030
1
61
A bump for exactly 7 days and 6 hours.

We need to come up with excuses for work, folks. Good ones.
 

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
11,093
11
81
Originally posted by: bamacre
A bump for exactly 7 days and 6 hours.

We need to come up with excuses for work, folks. Good ones.
Actually, you're right. My days are off. Its 8 days, not 9.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrSquished PC Games 115
rivethead PC Games 30

ASK THE COMMUNITY