**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: Algere
Here's something to discuss about.

"Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

Whats to discuss? Did you think you would be able to play multi without steam?
Read closer

"After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

It also includes SP/offline LAN as well. Meaning you'll still need Steam for non MP play.

Feb 10, 2000
I just got a new laptop (Dell 600m, under the recent $750-off deal), and even though I erroneously bought a model with just a 32MB 9000 Mobility (I couldn't find the 64MB option, and incorrectly thought it was discontinued) and 1.5GHz Pentium M, CS:S is amazingly playable at 1024x768. I got 33.6 fps in the video stress test.

FYI, if you've never looked at it, click the Test Speaker Settings button under the audio tab in CS:S - it's kinda neat.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Renob
Will HL1 on the new engine come out the same day as HL2 ????
It should, because the CE version that will be released in stores on Nov 16th will have HL:S included, so it will be done. Some people think that HL:S will not be included, and any Steam account registered with the CE edition will have the option to download it when it's available, but this won't happen for those users who still have dialup.

So pretty much everything except possibly DoD:S should be good to go Nov 16th.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: jrphoenix
The quiet before the storm.... this thread has been a bit quiet lately :p

That's what I thought, when I dug it out of page 3.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
PS: I'm liking CS:S more and more, I didnt really care for the old version, probably because I sucked. However, now it seems like theres a lot more noobs around, so I dont feel as crappy getting headshotted every 10 seconds

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Modeps
PS: I'm liking CS:S more and more, I didnt really care for the old version, probably because I sucked. However, now it seems like theres a lot more noobs around, so I dont feel as crappy getting headshotted every 10 seconds

haha yeah there are alot of n00bs now. I find my self near the top or on top of the score board quite a bit lately. Alot of the older expert CS players are still playing CS 1.6 so I think we will see and influx of good players once HL2 is released.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Read closer

"After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

It also includes SP/offline LAN as well. Meaning you'll still need Steam for non MP play.

So what? Were you assuming that if you only played SP/Offline LAN that you wouldn't need Steam at all? I still don't understand what is to discuss. Is this a discussion about what someone who is buying HL2 but does not own a network connection is going to do?

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: skace
Read closer

So what? Were you assuming that if you only played SP/Offline LAN that you wouldn't need Steam at all? I still don't understand what is to discuss. Is this a discussion about what someone who is buying HL2 but does not own a network connection is going to do?
If by network connection you mean internet access then yes. You won't be able to activate a boxed retail copy of HL2 under any mode (SP/LAN/MP) without a internet connection. Similar to Windows XP activation except with Windows XP you can still call Microsoft by phone for a activation code. To date the only known method to activate HL2 is by internet.

Steam needs to be installed to authenticate HL2 over the internet.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
LATEST NEWS - 11/2/04 NO MANUAL WITH HL2?

Apparently this is true. Doesnt really surprise me though, its a simple game to control and who cares about character background. I never once opened my D3 manual to be honest.

Source

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Who cares about a manual, I dont know when the last time I actually looked at one. GameFaqs is more useful

I bought it off steam regardless :p

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU
Who cares about a manual, I dont know when the last time I actually looked at one. GameFaqs is more useful

I bought it off steam regardless :p

yup.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: warcrow
13 DAYS!

Less than two weeks! :D

w00t. I wish I didn't have an ass load of papers, and presentations to do during that time frame though ugg the pain!!!

Maybe I can get my self to get it done early so I don't have to deal with it then. Bah probably not

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Figures... I'll be sitting in a deer blind, trying not to think about how much FUN you guys will be having. :(

Hmmmm.... I wonder... If I grab my wife's laptop and preload HL2 onto it, maybe I can use the cellphone to dial in and unlock my copy on Tuesday. Might be kinda hard to shoot a deer with a laptop in the way, tho.