**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Heh, andthe Steampowered forum goes Kablooie :)

Me? I can wait a little... want to get some of The Bards Tale playing in before I get sucked into HL2 anyway.

Of course, if all of this is true in the end, then well... Lucy! You've got some 'splanin to do! :p

Poof!

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow
Heh, apparently someone else on another forum has it too. :p

http://members.optusnet.com.au....inc/pics/DSC00306.JPG
pwned!! Some in the thread I linked to were saying that VU hasn't had enough time to print enough boxes and such to even be shipping any out. But it looks like on that box that the ESRB is a sticker, which would be the only piece of info I can think of that would be a "gold" time decision. Otherwise, they could print everything well in advance of the game being done.

Glad to see a pic of the box, let's just hope it's real.

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Coalfax
Heh, andthe Steampowered forum goes Kablooie :)

Me? I can wait a little... want to get some of The Bards Tale playing in before I get sucked into HL2 anyway.

Of course, if all of this is true in the end, then well... Lucy! You've got some 'splanin to do! :p

Poof!

hahaha! ricky!!!

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Actually, someone in the steam forums posted it. I think I grabbed that link before the thread was deleted. The guy in the steam forums just linked the pic, not the forum discussion.

Also, about the VU not having enough time to print enough boex. Not sure about that, because a few months ago I remember seeing a picture of the boxes (those very ones) at Valve offices for approval. I'm sure they printed them up a while back to get going. I'm guessing the game has been gold longer than we think.

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Aye.. and those all have a RP for rating...

Could this be actual and for real? Hell if I know. Would be nice for us consumers, but I really would hate to be the company that sold em early. Someone will be in deep doo doo...

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
The one file I think you don't want to copy over to DVD backup is ClientRegistry.blob

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I honestly am surprised how many people are getting the game via Steam. Yay for the advancement of technology!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Although the Steam Gold was TEMPTING .. I really want the store copy so I pre-ordered the Collector's edition :)

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
The past few posts of this thread (mainly warcrow's) seem to be mainly for bumping :p
I guess that's because there isn't much left to post... until the game is released, that is.

(I guess this counts as a bump too... oh well....)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Due to the fact that the "art book" that comes with the CE version of HL2 is NOT the book I thought it was ("Raising the Bar"), I have decided to go onto steam and preload, then order a package. While the Gold one looks good because of the posters and the like, I think I may just have to get Silver.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, I imagine there's nothing is left to discuss until the game is released. That and warcrow is busy playing GTA SA. :)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
dont know why but I'm kinda more hyped about playing hl:source than hl2 :p

Why? Its the same game... they didnt put any real work into it other than porting it to the new engine... the textures should even still be the same.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Yeah, I imagine there's nothing is left to discuss until the game is released. That and warcrow is busy playing GTA SA. :)
Here's something to discuss about.

"Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Modeps

Why? Its the same game... they didnt put any real work into it other than porting it to the new engine... the textures should even still be the same.

because I know the original was awsome, been a long long time since I played it and I want my purchase to last a while :) so first hl1:source and then hl2 :D

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
FYI - Valve's Eric Johnson commented in the CSnation forum:
Erik Johnson

8:51 pm pdt on 10/25/04 We're working on porting some more of the classic maps right now, currently de_prodigy is in the works. We'll be releasing this as quickly as they are completed.

We're also working on one original map, which will begin internal playtesting this week. This still means we have a fair amount of work to do on it.

We're also working on two updated player models.

Most of this is scheduled to be released in the December timeframe.

Erik

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Modeps

because I know the original was awsome, been a long long time since I played it and I want my purchase to last a while :) so first hl1:source and then hl2 :D

I wonder if they redid the voices for HL: Source like they did for CS:S... They weren't all that much different in CS:S from the original, but there was a noticeable difference (static was no longer in the sounds, etc...). I only played through the first 25% or so of Half-Life, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing it on graphical steriods. :thumbsup:

My only problem now is to decide which one to play first... should I play the original to pick up the full story before touching the second, or just jump into the second and play the original for kicks later on? Decisions, decisions, decisions... I need to make up my mind soon, cuz I've been trying to for the past month and I only have a couple of weeks (gasp) left! Maybe a beer or two will clear my mind enough to decide.

EDIT:
Me + :beer: + :beer: + :beer: + :beer: + :beer: + :beer: + :beer: later...

"halsdf lieefe 2, ore hl1??... wwwwwwwwaiteet.... whatwd was i sayin? i mean ethinksin?........ hg2l *hickup* hal*hickup* halfw lfei t2o!"

EDIT 2:
Sobered translation of above: "After some serious thought, I've decided that I'll play Half-Life 2 first, and follow up with the original after completion."

EDIT 3 (from warcrow below):
Why is it that I get help only after I've gone to great lengths to think and have already sobered up? :p
You know, I guess I'll just have to take your advice on it! It's not all that long, right? Like, in a couple of days, I can have it beaten?

Originally posted by: warcrow
chris, if you can hold out.....play hl1 first! :)

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Heck, just go play HL1. You've got enough time before HL2 comes out. Then you'll see why the rest of us have been frothing at the mouth during the last two years of missed HL2 release dates.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My Steam preload just completed last evening. I wont have time to try out CSS anytime soon though, it's going to be another busy weekend :(

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Algere
Here's something to discuss about.

"Q. Will the boxed versions of HL2 require any sort of Steam installations?

Doug Lombardi: During installation the user will be prompted to authenticate the copy and create a Steam account. After that is complete, the single-player and LAN games do not require an Internet connection."

Whats to discuss? Did you think you would be able to play multi without steam?