**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Killrose
So now that it has gone GOLD, how long before STEAM users will get the final encryption? Could'nt that happen today or tommorrow?

No, when the game is officially released via retail is the day we get the game via Steam.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Ok guys, I have news from a very reputal source that Valve will release HL2 early if someone breaks the release date on the street. Remember the whole Doom 3 - Best Buy fiasco? Well, if that happens......we get the game early too because the contract says that Valve cannot release the game until its available on store shelves and that includes a slip like this. So, If some mom and pop store in Tokyo releases the game early, Steam users get it.

Thats how I understood it. God, I've never wanted a company oto screw up so badly like BB did with D3 ever before until now! :p

Oct 19, 2000
Yes!! And for once in my life, I'm rooting for someone to release the game early. :D I was expecting to hear something today after all the talk. Kudos to Vivendi for not being a bitch and delaying the game for everybody.

Oct 19, 2000
A tidbit from Gamespot in their news post:

"GameSpot contributor Geoff Keighley was on the scene for the final hours of work on Half-Life 2. His report, the latest in his Final Hours series, will be published on GameSpot before the game ships. The story will recount the entire six years of development on Half-Life 2 in detail. In addition, Gabe Newell goes on the record and finally comes clean about the September 30, 2003 date fiasco, and the notorious code leak."

Should be an interesting read.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: HostVisions
It's taking a back seat for me at least to Halo2 until I finish that puppy

It must just be me, I dont really get the who Halo thing. It just came across, to me, as a knock-off of every other FPS from the PC. I'm not trying to start a nasty debate, just voicing my opinion is all.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought the regular retail version for $35.99 at Outpost.com yesterday. Can't beat that :D

pkananen

Mar 13, 2003
Originally posted by: warcrow

It must just be me, I dont really get the who Halo thing. It just came across, to me, as a knock-off of every other FPS from the PC. I'm not trying to start a nasty debate, just voicing my opinion is all.

I agree, thought it was nothing special fps wise. Fun, just nothing special. I guess it was the xbox version of good 'ol goldeneye multiplayer

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: pkananen

I agree, thought it was nothing special fps wise. Fun, just nothing special. I guess it was the xbox version of good 'ol goldeneye multiplayer
Halo is just a great first-person shooter, period. The reason why it was so great is because the controls and weapons were spot-on. Everything was perfect, and the single-player story was very good. Not only where the controls perfect, but the atmosphere of the entire game was also great. Plus, the ability to play through single-player via co-op, and you have yourself a damn fine game.

If you are a fan of first-person shooters, and you say Halo was only decent at best, then you did not play very much of it. And I am discounting the shotty port to the PC, only the XBOX version applies here. To me, Halo was just as great as the original Half-Life.

Oct 19, 2000
Halo was just as good as HL1?
Yes. I will never be able to convince a bunch of PC's guys of such, but there are just as many Halo fanboys as there are Half-Life fanboys.

HostVisions

Banned
Jan 15, 2002

I thought the game was amazing for a console FPS, and H2 is supposedly going to be even better. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy both, and maybe even by the time HL2 hits I'll be ready for a switch. But I got a neighbor kid and his dad with a 65" HD widescreen, so we're going to be playing some serious MP on that bad boy.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Don't want to continue what will never be solved, but HL>Halo. And apparently most people agree (Gamespy's Title Fight).

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Quick question that may or may not have been asked: What will Valve's back catalog of games consist of? These are the games that apparently you get when you get the Silver or Gold package via Steam. I would probably prefer to get the DVD collector's edition, but it depends how nifty this back-catalog is. Thx and sorry if this has been asked previously.