**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: furie27
I finished the download, but when I try to play it I get the message "a locked copy" is on your computer. Anyone else see this?

What made you think you could play HL2 already?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I finished the download, but when I try to play it I get the message "a locked copy" is on your computer. Anyone else see this?

You really should read the preload information before coming in and posting something like this.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

If you read more than 4 words on Steam's webpage you wouldn't have needed to ask this question.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Krk3561
Does this mean we can play HL2 on steam on monday?

No, I think I remember reading somewhere that according to the deal with Vivendi, they cannot make it available on steam until the day the game hits the retail shelves.

Speaking of which, who here is getting the old fasioned way (ME!ME!ME!), and who is getting it via steam?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Does anyone have the CS:S beta test thingy? I'd really like to see some more screen shots of that... even some video of gameplay... or is that not possible at this time?

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
From CSNation.net

HL2 Fallout's Mr Bond has cleared up the mystery behind a recent post made by Gabe Newell's forum account claiming that Half-Life 2 will be going gold Monday. Since HL2 Fallout is having server issues, we have mirrored the news post:

After a close scrutiny of Gabe Newell's account history on the forums, we've come to the conclusion that the gold post is a fake. While we can't be 100% certain at this stage, all indicators point towards someone hacking the forum account. That said, all Gabe's previous posts on these forums are quite legitimate.

We apologize for the confusion and will be investigating further. Theoretically, an IPB forum account should be very difficult to hack. Well, that was the theory at least. We'll keep you updated.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
****CONFIRMED****

It's a hoax!

Lmao :D

Oh man it's a funny one :D

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
8/28/04 HL2 TO NOT GO GOLD MONDAY!

Update: 0wned. "After a close scrutiny of Gabe Newells account history on the forums, we've come to the conclusion that the gold post is a fake." People are so annoying sometimes.

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by: dighn
"Gabe Newells"'s password is "gaben"?

wow

Doesnt seem like Valve is all that smart, kinda shows the lack of security they have, on top of the source code theft

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Krk3561
<blockquote>quote:
<hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>dighn</b></i>
"Gabe Newells"'s password is "gaben"?

wow<hr></blockquote>

Doesnt seem like Valve is all that smart, kinda shows the lack of security they have, on top of the source code theft
Haha, I just had an image running through my head with a hacker guessing the password to an open FTP server on valve's network that contains the full HL2 source code.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
I'm sure he's changed it by now. Probably "gaben1"

ROLF!!!

For the people who were asking about getting the new source engine for HL1. I am pretty sure all copies will be able to have that fairly easily. Because I know even the leaked release you could port the engine to HL1 so I would assume even if they didn't officially enable that you could get it anyhow.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
has anyone played the pre-loading version yet?

plz give us some previews

You can't play a pre-loading game since it's not released yet. Gotta wait for it to be "unlocked" by valve, which at this rate will probably be in a year or so. Besides, the current pre-load only includes some solid data such as textures and sounds.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
has anyone played the pre-loading version yet?

plz give us some previews

I've been playing Counter-Strike Source and it's pretty nice... there's a couple weird things like, sometimes you literally bounce off an oil barrel or something like that when you run into it. The graphics are decent... the only problem is I can't get AA to work at 1024x768... I have it forced to 4X and I get none.