Official Half Life 2 thread. - AnandTech, Gamers Depot, Extreme Tech, and now The Tech Report Benches are UP!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ronnn
The conclusion to this article basically says the same thing. It's a VERY good read on why the NV3x gets dominated in PS2.0 now and why it will/may be improved with the 50.75 drivers:

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/cinefx/index_e.php

Am I the only one that understood very little of that article including the conclusion?[/quote]

Be very careful of the "Highly Technical" forum. It's exploded smaller heads than yours. :D

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Be very careful of the "Highly Technical" forum. It's exploded smaller heads than yours. :D[/quote]

Probably right, I shouldn't be reading this stuff. Helped me chose a 9700pro a while back, so not all bad I guess.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Does anyone want to tell me why in ALL the reviews all the systems were P4 2.8GHz systems? Why no Athlon systems? :|

kingmike

Sep 8, 2000
Guys, that read was from the guru of 3d in a topic about HL2. I can't find it yet, but will try later today to find it.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Driver Heaven did some DX9 benches and screenshots in THIS ARTICLE using Aquamark 3. Not good. Another reduced quality driver. No wonder it was not allowed to be used for HL2.
Now, im sure most of you have read Gabes recent comments regarding the detonator 51.75s, and Nvidia's offical response but I really do have to say, having seen this first hand it confirms to both myself and Veridian that the new detonators are far from a high quality IQ set. Alot of negative publicity is currently surrounding Nvidia, and here at driverheaven we like to remain as impartial and open minded as we possibly can, but after reading all the articles recently such as here coming from good sources and experiencing this ourselves first hand, I can no longer recommend an nvidia card to anyone. Ill be speaking with nvidia about this over the coming days and if I can make anything public I will.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: oldfart
Driver Heaven did some DX9 benches and screenshots in THIS ARTICLE using Aquamark 3. Not good. Another reduced quality driver. No wonder it was not allowed to be used for HL2.
Now, im sure most of you have read Gabes recent comments regarding the detonator 51.75s, and Nvidia's offical response but I really do have to say, having seen this first hand it confirms to both myself and Veridian that the new detonators are far from a high quality IQ set. Alot of negative publicity is currently surrounding Nvidia, and here at driverheaven we like to remain as impartial and open minded as we possibly can, but after reading all the articles recently such as here coming from good sources and experiencing this ourselves first hand, I can no longer recommend an nvidia card to anyone. Ill be speaking with nvidia about this over the coming days and if I can make anything public I will.

:Q
I always noticed that when I uped my Dets to get better worthless 3dmark scores I thought evrything looked a bit worse....Same old MO I guess...

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002

I really wonder what people at nVidia are thinking...

Dewey

Mar 17, 2001
Something could be wrong with the test and the whole 45 vs. 50 driver issue. But why would Valve and ATI ruin their reputations by fixing the test outcome? If ATI or Valve is proven to be outright lying or manipulating the scores, I won't be buying their products. If it's legit, I'm buying HL2 and the fastest ATI card I can buy with HL2 is released.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Dewey
Something could be wrong with the test and the whole 45 vs. 50 driver issue. But why would Valve and ATI ruin their reputations by fixing the test outcome? If ATI or Valve is proven to be outright lying or manipulating the scores, I won't be buying their products. If it's legit, I'm buying HL2 and the fastest ATI card I can buy with HL2 is released.

Remember they are not testing the 50's series and so many other sites with other games have confirmed same numbers in Ps2.0 games....NO tweaking of dets 45's here. The only tweaking is nvidia with the Det 50's in which just as many speculated was just going to sacrifice IQ for a number!!!

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

thats just wrong!
nvidia got no legs left, they have shot them both off

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
If it's true, how could a company as dynamic as nVidia go from greatness to complete failure in one year? Were they that arrogant? Was it a 3Dfx curse? Was it Xbox? Whose decision was it to put NV3X on .13mu?

I guess nVidia never thought ArtX would benefit ATi so much by developing the now year-old R3XX core...and now working on the R5XX core.

Luagsch

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2003
if there is a parallel from the old 3dfx days it's the late support of a new technology and product delay. i guess nvidia was caught as ati brought the awesome 9700 back then, which was fully dx9 compatible. would the nv30 been in time and not so sucky as it was everything would be different. the timeframe changed for the bad with the delay.

imagine the nv30 would have been in time and not as loud: for the past year it wouldn't have mattered that it has a sucky dx9 performance. right now the nv40 would be claimed for the holliday season in perfect timing for the real dx9 games. some previews of the card would show, that it would be good to wait 1 or 2 month for the nv40 cause it would make up a good competition to ati's cards.

now as it stands the nv3x group is a failure and nvidia is lucky that ati is in a similar timeframe with the r420 as they are with the nv40.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar
just reaaaaaly hope nvidia springs back up with the next line

Definitely. If we let ATI dominate too long they might pull a nvidia down the road - better to have Nvidia come with its own radeon 9700pro to keep the pressure on ATI so R420 also will feel the heat to do well

OddTSi

Feb 14, 2003

After seeing that image quality drop, I'm starting to believe what someone else said on this forum that nVidia is pushing places to benchmark Half Life 2 with the 50 series drivers because it'll show a frame-rate improvement but they wouldn't be able to prove any image quality degredation since Valve probably won't let these sites post screen shots until the game is close to release.

nVidia better get their act together really quickly because this whole situation reeks of the beginning of a downfall.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
For more on IQ and the DET 50 drivers:

ANIMATED GIF

Aquamark 3 Preview & Performance Comparison from DriverHeaven

Alot of negative publicity is currently surrounding Nvidia, and here at driverheaven we like to remain as impartial and open minded as we possibly can, but after reading all the articles recently such as here coming from good sources and experiencing this ourselves first hand, I can no longer recommend an nvidia card to anyone.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

ANIMATED GIF

Alot of negative publicity is currently surrounding Nvidia, and here at driverheaven we like to remain as impartial and open minded as we possibly can, but after reading all the articles recently such as here coming from good sources and experiencing this ourselves first hand, I can no longer recommend an nvidia card to anyone.

Ouch.

That is a bold statement from Driverheaven...

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

ANIMATED GIF

poor nvidia pwned again

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: vaporize
Originally posted by: Adul
Originally posted by: vaporize
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE DEMOS???

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=20489\

If you read the news more ;)

the link doesnt answer my question. let me ask again:
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE DEMOS? IF NOT WHERE CAN I GET THE LEAKED DEMO?
we will get back to you on the 30th when the benchmark program get released

you can get the videos just about everywhere

Jul 29, 2003
my 9800 pro still smokes all!!
lol

by the way when does hl2 come out?
anyone?

cause i heard sept 30?
can anyone confirm that?